Which FM stat signifies a player's vision?

It is a combination:

Anticipation - How well a player can predict and react to an event. If a player has a high attribute here he can read the game well and react to situations quicker than others. This attribute works well with ‘Off the Ball’.

Creativity - This refers to a player’s vision and ability to see a potential opening, not necessarily exploit it. A player might be able to see something to take advantage of but also requires the technical proficiency to pull it off.

Off the Ball - A player’s movement without the ball. Similar to Anticipation, this is how well a player, particularly attacking ones, can assess a situation and then move off the ball, making themselves available to receive a pass in a dangerous position.

Positioning - Positioning is the ability of a player to read a situation and position himself in the best possible position to deal with the unfolding events. Anticipation will help him in the first stage but in terms of his actual positioning, it comes down to this attribute. A higher rating will ensure the player takes up a better position.

A combination of the above - those are all official FM Definitions from the Online Manual.

I'm sure someone from SI have confirmed that the attribute 'stength' has nothing to do with shot power in FM. I previously thought it did though, probably due to the high correlation between real players in the game who have the PPM shoots with power and having a high strength attribute (thinking guys like Hulk, Adriano, Drogba, Essien, Muntari).

Unfortunately there's no unique attribute for Vision, which IMO is too important to be left out or, so to speak, outsourced...

The thing is, no combination of existing attributes is fitting...

Decisions and Creativity are too generic and don't really reflect what Vision is about... I can make good decisions and have plenty of Creativity but if my "Vision" is poor, my Creativity will end up being useless and/or my Decisions will be wrong.

Off the Ball and Positioning are even less relevant, as Vision (or Playmaking if you will) doesn't really require the player to be in the right place, more like he has to be the one to pick a teammate in a better position... A Quarterback needs Vision, a Receiver needs Positioning/OtB, and here it's the same thing.

Anticipation sort of works, but then again Vision is not about "knowing what's goint to happen", it's about making it happen.

FM is complex, too complex at times, and the somewhat cryptic attributes system doesn't help... Less is more and I definitely think SI could look at revisiting the attributes in the upcoming future.

Archived