Unrealistic international selection

Hey all,

Have any of you ever noticed that international player selection gets unrealistic throughout time? In my current save, England have on occasions called up reputable players who haven't even played a league game for their team in a 1, 2 or more years!!! England have even called up free agent players who aren't being signed by anyone, even months half a year after they are released! Meanwhile, there are other English players that are performing well in the league that haven't had a chance before that don't get any call ups. Isn't this strange to you? For example, in year 2016, Stewart Downing doesn't play a single league game for Liverpool for 2 years and his contract expires. He still is played by England, both while playing for Liverpool Reserves and as a free agent. No club wants to sign him. This is just crazy.

I bought a young English striker when I was in League Two who was reasonably good for me until I got to the Prem. He certainly has the stats and even potential (he's 22) to be a great Premier League player but he has been utter cack whenever I've given him a chance. My assman said he was struggling to cope with the pressures of the first team, so I dropped him to the reserves where he has remained for 18 months now save for the odd FA Cup game and making the bench when others are injured.

Cue my surprise then, when he was called up for his England debut having only played 4 league games in 18 months, only one of them a start. He hasn't scored in any of them, yet Shearer still calls him up - dropping Rooney for him. Simply bizarre.

heh my wonderkid i bought from layton orient has been a fixture in the england U21 for nearly a year... he has played hardly any league games

a player i got from austria has played no league games whatsoever is always beeing called up as well for thier u21's i think it is. he does now have a finishing stat of 19

i was checking differant saves. the players i own (areola, cosic, derflinger, sanogo, wilfried) do not even feature in the international matches at all on those saves

and rory delap still gets called up at 37

whittingham for england, however i was manager. we had 2 friendlies lined up, and i thought just because their stats are good doesnt mean i will give them a chance. so i dived into the championship looked at top scorer ect. had billy sharp, peter whittingham, few others a game, even had a lad from league two who was a regen who turned out to score 3 goals in his first game,

Most of the young promising attacking players in England just do not progress under AI management so you are forced to call them up and play them even if they aren't getting any games for their clubs because you don't have a choice. I'm managing them in 2015 and all the players you'd expect to be international quality by then are mediocre at best.

• 4 months later...

Glad i am not the only one with this issue. Have some top Welsh wonderkid youngsters, 2 of the 4 star player slots named as these players, yet they were given a cap, then dropped back into the u-21s. Fair enough but when you have rubbish or average players or players not even with a club getting called up before these young stars, it really is taking the urine. Even worse is that some of the welsh youngsters i also had on my books, who werent good enough and were sold on are now getting picked instead of these wonderkids. Needs sorting to say the least.

Archived