FM 2008 Update Research Thread [Poll] - Which Update Would You Prefer To See?

Poll #1 - What Type Of Update Would You Prefer To Play?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Poll #1 - What Type Of Update Would You Prefer To Play?

• Empty Player db - New 11/12 season players added to squads during update
    • Default FM08 db - Update 07/08 season player-by-player, creating 07/08 and 11/12 season db mix

Hi folks,

Well after a hiatus of about a year or so, I'm thinking of attempting my old silly-ambitious FM '08 update again, updating the old classic to current stats using FM '12 as a base. This is nothing against FM 2012 of course which I think is a very good game, I (and I know of others on these boards alone) just prefer the 'simple' FM of old and 2008 is my favourite version of them.

Anyway, on to this little 'preview/preparation' thread/poll... I'm looking for opinions and votes on aspects of this update, starting with an immediate 'issue' that prompted me to create this thread in the first place, that being the database structure itself...

I've been experimenting with creating a totally empty of personnel db, except for officials, which has been useful for keeping track of the updating as with every new player having to be creating from scratch, I obviously know who I've edited and can go into detail (player histories, etc.) with confidence with each new entry.

The only problem with this of course is that for the forseeable future the database will be pretty thin on players/staff and is therefore populated by 99.99% newgens, which makes for a bit of an unrealistic world.

The other option (which I sometimes now dub the 'classic' option of editing and suchlike) is editing the db more like an existing FM game. In other words, leaving the game universe in the 07/08 season and gradually changing it player-by-player. This will create an update consisting of a mixture of old season players and updated/new ones.

So I put it to you all now, which would be your prefered option for a database update? - an empty player db, consisting of only players for the 11/12 season and newgens, or a db consisting of a mixture of 07/08 season players and 11/12 season players?

Both options will improve as I add players to the db of course, but for a long while they would stay in these formats I would imagine.

Thanks for your input, I'll put the poll up for a week although I aim to collect as much feedback as possible and start ASAP due to the shere amount of work that either option poses..

Which would you rather play?

- an FM08 update that only has 11/12 season players in it, or an update with a mix of old 07/08 players and edited 11/12 season players?

Please vote/post your opinions now!

The poll closes on Thursday (the 3rd) at 5pm!

...so get them in quick folks! :)

Link to an official thread for the update in the Editor's Hideaway will follow soon.

Hi folks,

I've had 10 votes and a few PM's on this so far so thanks for your interest and contribution so far!

I'm thinking of restarting this thread if votes don't pick up a bit more by the deadline tomorrow however, in order to give it a full week's exposure in General Discussion, unlike last week. If I do that, I'll of course add on votes already cast.

Thanks again for your interest in the project and I'll keep you informed tomorrow afternoon. :)

Well ok, so the poll has not long finished and the results are in with a 10-5 'victory' to an empty player db.

I've decided to recreate the thread here like I said, in order to get the maximum amount of views and votes, although this will definitely be the only time I plan on re-opening a poll. :)

These votes will be taken in to consideration of course and I might extend the new thread a few days beyond a week due to kids half term hols coming up soon.

A massive think you now though to all those who have voted, PM'ed and expressed interest and support in the project so far!

I will be opening an official thread for the update in the future, but right now look out for thee new voting and research thread popping up in here sometime over this weekend.

The link bellow will take you to a season 11/12 data update for FM08. Sadly the author hasn't edited the date of birth of the players so every ones four years too young. If you're interested in doing your own data update taking his one as a starting point would save a load of work.

http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/36740/t1687209-season-2011-2012-an-other-update-for-football-manager-2008/

Ooh cheers for the link, I didn't know there were as many FM08 updates still going, found another recent one on there that I've just been taking a look at as well. Always nice to see the older versions having such support for them. :)

I wouldn't edit anyone's db without their permission and if they're still doing an update then chances are I wouldn't get it if I were to ask now anyway. But I'm more than happy editing my own update, knowing that everything is 100% edited and checked by myself. It's a long process that I'd love to make faster of course, especially the unique way I do my updates (eg. editing player/comp histories), but I aim to get some 'beta' versions out eventually in the not-too-distant future. :)

I'll get this thread re-upped in a bit anyway, if it goes up before this one gets deleted then I'll link to it from here later.

Archived