Attributes and their effect in the match engine

I happens sometimes that attributes don't seem to relate to what the match engine delivers. Of course this is realistic, since overall form, match performance and lots of random factors are influencing the success of a certain action. E.g. a striker with Finishing 20 and Composure 20 missing an easy chance or your average Tackling 20 Marking 20 Defender losing an average tackle.

The case that happened just now makes me scratch my head though.

A control tactic was used and Schürrle had the role Winger Attack.

The situation is a counter attack and one of my fastest players, Schürrle, runs from his own half towards the opponents goal. From the beginning he is followed by a not very pacey player Reinhard, who manages to catch up right before the area and make a tackle.

Schürrle runs with the ball in his own half

He continues his run, although closely followed by a much slower player

He 'seems' to be running at full speed

yet Reinhard catches up and overtakes

and makes a tackle (foul)

Condition of Schürrle and said defender when this happened

Did Schürrle forget to loosen his handbrake or did Reinhard (illegaly) have afterburner/nitro installed? Did Schürrle purposely run at 2/3 speed? Are condition / pace / acceleration irrelevant in certain situations?

Edit: Just a minor detail and not really relevant to this: Reinhard (only) got a yellow card for his foul. If the Referee decides this was a foul, he obviously has to give a red card in that context (last man).

Archived