Real Madrid - Job Offer - Do I accept it?

I'm currently managing Sheffield Wednesday.

First season - Promoted to the Championship

Third Season - Promoted to the Premiership

I then take control of both Wednesday and England....

I'm now offered a job at Real Madrid with a transfer budget of 189million.... I did so want to take my beloved SWFC all the way to winning the Champions League... Do I take this job and go on an easy path of success of winning the Spanish Premier division or do I struggle for a few more seasons building my Wednesday team up to the top?

What do you think?

Yeh far too easy with the big teams. I like the adventure of bringing a small club through the ranks and becoming Champion League winners. I usually leave the club after winning the CL twice. It's all well and good to win the CL, but to defend it is another story!

I actually had a similar situation in my journeyman save. Although with Sheff utd :)

I took the Real Madrid job, won 3 League titles, 3 cups, 2 Champions Leagues and then got bored and resigned.

So I'd say stay with Sheffield, the money makes it simply too easy.

Yeh far too easy with the big teams. I like the adventure of bringing a small club through the ranks and becoming Champion League winners. I usually leave the club after winning the CL twice. It's all well and good to win the CL, but to defend it is another story!

Don't mind doing a biggie now and then. I like to manage all the top players every now and then, if do lower clubs all the time all the top players are too old by the time you get a good enough rep to buy em.

I had the same issue when I went from Santos FC in Brazil to Sunderland. 1.5 years later Arsenal came knocking at the door. I had just got Sunderland into the Champs League by the skin of my teeth. But Arsenal... so I saved as and did my Arsenal save for a while. But I got bored in about 10 seaons.

I'm now back to my Sunderland save and enjoying that a lot more.

Swap between the 2. Have 2 saves, play with one and when you get bored use the other. Tis what i do. :)

I've done this and found that It wrecks the enjoyment of my save. The save I use to change club, I play it for a few months in game and get bored or just can't familairise myself with alien players. My advice. Never leave the club.

yea that is what i did with blackpool. i made a seperate save with the big pink box saying you have been offered the manchester united job waiting to be clicked. as i was building something with blackpool (signed rodwell, gaitan and some very nice newgens).

all i had done was promotion to the league and league cup.

then

europa league final

league cup again

FA cup

and 7th in the league.

not something i would turn my back on, hence 2 saves, as united have a pretty awesome team on the save anyway

For me it depends what sort of game you like to play

Are you confident you can achieve your ambitions with Wednesday?

if not, are you content just to plod along playing for 6th-10th and good cup runs?

do you wish to manage in a foreign league?

are you planning to move clubs often once you succeed at each job?

do you enjoy dominating world football with a giant team?

have you ever managed a huge club like Madrid?

are you confident to get offered a job on this scale in the future?

you need to be asking yourself these questions imo, for me i would take the job if it was offered because my ambitions are always to win the big 3 titles (la liga, Prem, Serie A) also looking to be a hall of famer and you cant beat Fergie (and on my game in FM11 Leonardo who won 12 la liga title with Barca) if you are with smaller clubs. Depends what you want and enjoy from the game, if your happy at Sheffield stay their ofc, but i am always looking to explore the world, afterall life is bigger than just one place i always think.

in example these are my last 2 big saves from FM11 in order of clubs i managed

Save 1 - Redditch - MK Dons - West Ham - Reading - Everton -Aston Villa - Parma -Real Madrid - Arsenal (current year 2043)

Save 2 - Utrecht - Ajax - Man City - England - Inter - Feyenoord - Bayern (year 2039)

Don't know about disgraceful - but I am more of a Barcelona man myself.

I'd much prefer to start off at the lowest league possible in an obscure country - then work my way up through the ranks. And the pinnacle of my career would be taking over at Barca!

You could take the Madrid job and build and challenge yourself to build a stable youth system whilst also maintaining success. Personally, i'm not one for big teams, I stick with my LLM games (I don't even see the point in managing big European teams tbh) but people play the game however they want of course. I know my brother plays as Derby but puts them in the lower leagues or makes his own team with tons of money (don't see the point in the last one, making a team and giving them 300m to spend).

From experience in FM2011 when I was managing Everton in a career game and won the Premireship twice on the trot, I got offered Real Madrid job and accepted it as its what I would have done in real life with it been a career game. Spent 4 years there and got them winning everyrthing with a aging squad, who season by season I replaced with young wonderkids to take the club forward. Prior to my appointment the highest they had finsihed was 5th. I left as I got bored with winnng all the time and went for a new challenge in the Premiershio after 4 seasons, but as I didnt fully rebuild the squad with youngsters I felt I didnt complete the job that I wanted to do even though it was a winning team.

Its fun, if you want to buy the best players without having to worry about money, basically anyone you want will join, however it does lose its appeal after a few seasons as its not very competitive due to winning all the time.

Id go for it for the experience as it will be completly different to managing sheff wed, as will have big squad full of the best names in football (if you buy them) and the issue is keeping them all happy. That was the challenge at Real for me.

I just had something similar. I was managing Ajax and after winning 2 titles and doing a good job creating a competitive European side I got the job offer from Inter. 40 million, bad spot in the league and an ageing squad. After dominating Holland this was a challenge I just had to take. Now I want to bring inter back where they belong in Italy.

It's all a matter of what you like your game to be in the end. I'm just thinking, you didn't load up the Spanish league if you did not have any ambition towards that part of the world. When doubting, I'll always opt for the save as variant. That way you have nothing to lose

I had a similar situation as the Arsenal manager -- Real Madrid approached with a transfer budget of $518 million! Needless to say I did a "save as" and had a little fun. The problem was I kept being drawn to stealing away my old players from Arsenal, as I had amassed an incredible collection of young talent there. My new house rule is that if I switch clubs, I can't poach any old coaches/players from my old one. The first thing the AI usually does with my old team is transfer-list a bunch of great players it thinks it doesn't need.

One thing about R. Madrid -- be ready for shot ratios of like 10 to 1 missed to on target. Ronaldo constantly bombs away from almost midfield out there. Very frustrating to get them to play a short passing, possession-based game with their players.

I am currently playing a long term carreer game in FM10. First started on a long holiday, then got the Raith Rovers job in Scotland in 2012 in D1, spend 11 years there and made them a steady Scottish Premier League team who appeared in the CL pre-rounds every now and then. Then in 2023, Real Madrid came knocking on my door. I had brushed off many teams before that, but with Barcelona still dominating the league in Spain around that time, I felt it was the right time to leave Raith behind.

If you feel you're not done yet, don't accept the job offer. Further up in your carreer, I'm sure the club's position will open up again. Perhaps then you'll feel you're ready for it.

As for me: I ended up managing Real 8 years, left in in 2031. Was linked with every job out there but chose to apply at Blackpool who were sitting 22nd in the BSN after 12 games. After a dreadful start with lots of lost games, they found their form and I got them to 2nd place. Amazingly I managed promotion and am now 1st in the BSP with 31 games played.

Blackpool have become my new Raith Rovers project so to say, from rags to riches. I am looking forward to hopefully beating Real in the CL in 10 seasons or so. Perhaps some of the youngsters that I left Real's youth squad with will still be there to play against me :)

Archived