Creating your own Youth Talent

Ok so im playing as Aston Villa, currently season 5 and have to say the youth coming through my academy are pretty pathetic with only one guy so far being good enough to making the grade (according to coach reports)

so after deciding to really focus much more on this area i am rather confused what to improve and what are the benefits

currently i have youth facilities, youth recruitment and junior coaching and i have no idea what these things contribute respectivley when deciding priorities for gaining the highest potential youth possible to come thru my academy

if someone can explain what each of these options does and what is the best path forward that would be great

in order to produce the best youngsters

your club must have maximum junior coaching, youth recruitment, youth facilities (state-of-the-art conditions)

also reputation is important, the higher the reputation of your club, better youngsters will come to your club

also recruiting high PA youngsters has a bit of randomness so don't be too concerned

I've never really had much success with my academy in FM12, no matter who i am or how good my facilities/rep is.

But in my Swansea save i got 2 players tin the same draft that would go on to be worldwide rep superstars. Both were central defenders, one English and one Welsh, pity they have been the only two in 17 seasons that were even worth keeping :(

Well according to what I know from what I have read on these forums the better the youth facilities the higher the PA of the players you produce are, youth recruitment network i think controls the number of youth cadidates you get and the better the junior coaching the higher the CA the players that are produced by the academy have.

I've only ever had one good player come through my ranks in all my years playing FM. He was an absolute legend though, his name was Sean Clegg and he was a striker for Forest. His stats weren't that good, even for the most important striker stats, but he scored an absolutely insane amount of goals, far more than other players with far better stats. His defining moment was in the final of the European Championships, I was managing England and I didn't start him (it was early in his career and I was just going by stats). Brought him on when England were a goal behind with 10 minutes to play. He scored a goal in injury time to take it to extra time, then scored the winner in the 119th minute. His value went up over night from about 4 million to 30 million.

Didn't sell him though and he went on to become Forest's all time best goal scorer.

But like I say, he is the only one I've ever had that came good, and again his stats weren't even great. This was way back in FM 2004 or 2005 too (can't remember which).

ok well thanks for the advice, have to say im pretty disappointed with how poor the Villa academy is on FM12 considering our pedigree in real life

from top of my head i can think of Gabby Agbonlahor(Villa), Steven Davis(Rangers), Gary Cahill(Chelsea), Liam Ridgewell(Blues), Craig Gardner(Sunderland), Darius Vassell(Leicester), Boaz Myhill(West Brom/Blues), Gary Gardner(Villa), Ciaran Clark(Villa), Marc Albrighton(Villa), Barry Bannan(Villa), Jlloyd Samuel(former Bolton now Iranian team), Gareth Barry(Man City)

sure ok i get that only probably Barry, Cahill and Agbonlahor are truely top class players and imo Ciaran Clark and Gary Gardner will join them, but i think all of those names are decent enough to give us a better rating than we have imo.

Well I think a problem is that you get too many excellent foreign regens too easily. The two big names (Agbon never was that big imo) don't even have 160CA, while every second brasilian regen has that much so to speak. Especially once you start climbing a bit and if you grab lowbies PAs get up to 170/180 easily and that isn't really quality England sees that often.

I myself had a few decent youngsters, however this was with the best facilities possible, and even then there's a big chance they won't get into my first team since I got better regens I bought from foreign clubs.

it's because of things like this that i'd love to see FM (or at least any management sim which comes close to competing) do attributes differently.

If attributes were measured in a more vague way then it's more about how your player performs as opposed to how good his numbers are. I'm sure the Villa players listed above all put in good performances at youth level and therefore made it to the first team because of this, but if a youth player on FM puts in good performances but has rubbish stats then he'll never make the grade.

ok well thanks for the advice, have to say im pretty disappointed with how poor the Villa academy is on FM12 considering our pedigree in real life

from top of my head i can think of Gabby Agbonlahor(Villa), Steven Davis(Rangers), Gary Cahill(Chelsea), Liam Ridgewell(Blues), Craig Gardner(Sunderland), Darius Vassell(Leicester), Boaz Myhill(West Brom/Blues), Gary Gardner(Villa), Ciaran Clark(Villa), Marc Albrighton(Villa), Barry Bannan(Villa), Jlloyd Samuel(former Bolton now Iranian team), Gareth Barry(Man City)

sure ok i get that only probably Barry, Cahill and Agbonlahor are truely top class players and imo Ciaran Clark and Gary Gardner will join them, but i think all of those names are decent enough to give us a better rating than we have imo.

Also worth noting that Barry is actually a youth product of Brighton, he just happened to join Villa at the young age of 16.

I do think there are some real life situations which would be impossible to replicate in FM. For example, the current Barcelona team, which contains so much great talent from La Masia (Valdes, Puyol, Pique, Busquets, Xavi, Iniesta, Messi, Pedro, Cesc), all of which I imagine have CA of at least 160, and given they all came through within a 10 year time period. If you want to through in Pepe Reina and Mikel Arteta, the rough average is for a World Star coming through every year. That could never be replicated in FM. You'd be lucky get a potential World Star every four years, no matter what team you are.

That's not a flat out criticism though. For 90% of teams in the FM world, I think the youth system is on the money. But the very best youth systems of the footballing World, the ones which the clubs' put loads of investiment into, don't see the returns that would be akin to reality.

yes i know where we signed Barry from, it was a joint deal for 150k for Gareth Barry and i believe Michael Standing (tho i might be wrong) but considering we signed him aged 16 i would class him as homegrown from our team in the same way Arsenal would speak of Cesc Fabregas (signed from Barca aged 16)

i just think that we should be getting better talent come thru than currently because it all seems to be coming from clubs like Man Utd (justifiedly) but other teams with not so great academies like Chelsea and Liverpool, who knows maybe im having a bad spell of youth, i dont normally manage Villa so early in my career and 6 seasons of one saved game certainly isnt a huge test subject but i find myself releasing 90% of graduates which probably shouldnt be the case. Im not saying they should all be world stars, but i would struggle to find anyone in my youth system who would be fit for mid table champ team let alone top 10 prem team like Villa

For example in real life we have currently in the academy Derrick Williams, Jordan Graham, Gary Gardner and Graham Burke all of whom i would be positive will at least make it into championship standard players and several others who might be good in future, i just dont see that in FM.

Well according to what I know from what I have read on these forums the better the youth facilities the higher the PA of the players you produce are' date=' youth recruitment network i think controls the number of youth cadidates you get and the better the junior coaching the higher the CA the players that are produced by the academy have.[/quote']

Not quite.

The better the YOUTH RECRUITMENT, the higher the PA of the academy kids.

The better the JUNIOR COACHING, the higher the CA of the academy kids.

Once they've arrived, their development is influenced by the quality of your youth facilities, coaching etc. Only here does your club reputation become relevant in that players develop better when playing against higher rep opposition.

I know this because I used the editor to 'cheat'. I created a non-league club and put it in BSN I gave it 20 (max) in all those facilities. In my first academy intake I got one youth DM who has the highest PA in the world for his position! Six of the rest of them went straight into my first team and they all had CAs that would be good enough to start in League Two. Since then every year I get at least 2 or 3 kids who have CA good enough for the first team and PA to make them potential world-beaters.

I have always found that things from real life is also true in the game as Ajax tend

to push out some awesome youth year after year while im playing FM.

I agree- always found Lyon to pumping out high quality youth players season after season on it

Archived