Signing Players - Got the Money but not the Reputation

I'm managing Brentford and am in my 6th season. I have just managed to survive the Premiership, finishing above the relegation zone by around 10 points.

I've been given a transfer budget of a whopping £27M and have brought this total up to around £36M through selling players. The players I sold were prolific in the Championship but just couldn't step up to the challenge of the Premiership - they were getting old so it was time to cash in.

Ideally, I'd like to add 4 new players to my starting line up with maybe a couple for for a bit of cover. I have the funds to do so but it seems my club isn't reputable enough to attract most of my targets. I have bids accepted but the player doesn't want to enter negotiations.

I know there is little I can do concerning these players until my reputation is at a higher level so I have been trawling through nations U21 teams and searching clubs in almost every league. English players are either not good enough or too expensive. The player's I do manage to find have good Technical and Mental stats but extremely poor Physical stats. Mostly all my foreign targets are not granted work permits either.

As a club in my position what would you suggest in order to take my team to the next level and hopefully finish a few players higher in the Premiership next season?

If your in your 6th season, and in your situation I'd be looking at sending my scouts here, there and everywhere to find me regens. There is going to be lots of new talent available, and if your having problems with work permits I'd suggest, as mentioned above, to scout the EU countries.

Use this thread mate :thup:.

The mods will close this one down.

Thanks for the link but I'm not looking for a specific player. In fact most of the players I am scouting are newgens. I am looking for some advice on good ways/places to pick up good players or if there are any other options for me.

check scandanavian countries.

and other low rep countries in the eu for talented players.. like: romania, france, bulgaria etc...

I've been searching a lot of countries - I have trawled through a lot of teams in France but players seem to be very expensive. I shall give Romania and Bulgaria a try though. Thanks for your response!

If your in your 6th season, and in your situation I'd be looking at sending my scouts here, there and everywhere to find me regens. There is going to be lots of new talent available, and if your having problems with work permits I'd suggest, as mentioned above, to scout the EU countries.

I currently have my scouts searching every continent in the world - besides Asia I think (I am going to do this soon). They usually come back with the same names from the same countires and the players they recommend don't seem to be anywhere near the standard I'm looking for. Having said that, their scouting attributes and knowledge are excellent so I don't see why this is happening so often.

Like welshace says check out the Scandanavian countries and the other lower rep EU national sides. Then check out the World rankings and look at non-EU squads in the top 75, as far as I remember if a player has played in 70% of his nations matches over the last 2 years and they are in the FIFA top 75 then he should get a work permit.

Usually a bargain or two to be found amongst the less high profile African and South American squads, can always hope you find the next George Weah ;)

Archived