Penalties for Handball ??

Yeah, I sure look forward to 5 penalties a match for handball. Other games have tried to add handball, and it never goes right.

Blimey mate, thats a very pessimistic view. What other games have tried specifically to add handballs and failed ?

Blimey mate, thats a very pessimistic view. What other games have tried specifically to add handballs and failed ?

I think football games like Pro Evolution Soccer tried, I know its different to FM but Konami said it was almost impossible to try and get right and not to give away a number of freekicks/penalties.

FIFA 11 had the option, and it was ridiculous. Think it was offline only (thankfully).

I love realism, but unfortunately, it did NOT end up realisitic.

If you went wide with any player near the 18, and crossed, it was about 50-50 that they'd handball for a pen.

CLS

FIFA 11 had the option, and it was ridiculous. Think it was offline only (thankfully).

Is also an option in Fifa 12 and one which I have turned on. It's not perfect but without handballs then it's not real football IMO.

CityAndColour

It's not just few handballs, there are no appeals for handballs where the commentary goes "Player X deemed to have used his chest" etc. When in reality this is by far the most common penalty shout in football.

Agreed 100%

Slightly different scenario but the other day I had an opposition player complain after I scored about the scorer using his arm to score.

Think the commentary said something like "Player X is convinced Player Y used his arm"

CLS

Is also an option in Fifa 12 and one which I have turned on. It's not perfect but without handballs then it's not real football IMO.

Oh okay, is it better than 11? Got fed up of Fifa, moved onto PES.

I

Handballs are in the game already, so I don't know why people are going on about what Fifa and PES are doing.

They just happen to be less frequent than IRL in FM, where the players do not have the range of animations to be able to block shots in the style that draws handball appeals.

In much the same way, goalkeepers and STs do not have the animations to properly compete for 50/50 balls: the keeper usually either stands there while the ST scores, or has the ball magically sucked an extra yard or two away from the ST so that he can dive on it smoothly and unchallenged. And thus you never see those penalties where the ST nudges it past and gets caught by a flailing GK arm.

As animations improve, I'm sure these things will arise. Which would be good, because they are two of the most common sources of appeals, and of penalties.

Archived