Behind The Curtain : My Eastern European Expedition

roganp

Behind-the-Curtain.jpg

Behind The Curtain : My Eastern European Expedition

Hi all! Those who were reading reading my previous thread, "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page" would know that I decided to take a break from that save so that I could try out a one club save. Something I had not done since FM 08.

Well, not even a week after getting started on the Big Euro Nation : Small club to Big club challenge I've decided to pack that save in and return to doing what I most enjoy on FM, moving from club to club. However, this time I will not be globe trotting. Instead, I will be travelling across Eastern Europe. The inspiration for starting this save came from the book Behind the Curtain: Travels in Eastern European Football by Jonathan Wilson which I'm currently reading.

For this career I have loaded all leagues in the following countries: Belarus, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia and Ukraine. These leagues have been loaded on a large database and I've also chosen to load players playing for top clubs in all continents. At some point during the save I would like to manage in every nation loaded and In particular, I would like to manage the Hungarian national team who captivated the world of football during the 1950's, led by the late great, Ferenc Puskas.

Because I eventually want to manage Hungary, I decided to make the manager of Hungarian nationallity.

The Manager

Clubs I would like to manage

Budapest Honved FC - 13 time winners of the Hungarian title and the club where Ferenc Puskas began his career.

Dinamo Moscow - The oldest Russian football club, and the only one that has never been relegated from either the top tier of the former Soviet league or the current Russian championship. The club have not managed to win the present Russian Championship thus far, so could be an interesting side to take over at some stage(That is,of course, if they do not win a title during the save).

Ujpest FC - One of the oldest clubs in Eastern Europe having been established in 1885. The club has won 20 Hungarian titles and also reached the UEFA cup final in 1969( it was know as the Inter-Cities fairs cup back then) but were not able to beat Newcastle United who won the tie 6-2 on aggregate.

Steaua Bucharest - One of the most recognized sides from the Eastern European zone. The club were the first Eastern European side to win the European Cup after beating Barcelona on penalties in 1986. They managed to reach another European cup final in 1989 which they lost 4-0 to Arrigo Sacchi's A.C Milan.

Dynamo Kyiv - The greatest Ukrainian club of all time having won 13 Soviet championships and 13 Ukrainian titles. This is a team that I would love to manage at some point.

Crvena Zvezda( AKA Red Star Belgrade) - Considered one of the greatest Eastern European clubs of all-time having won the European cup on one occasion in 1991 when they beat Marseille 5-3 on penalties in Bari, Italy and also finishing up as UEFA Cup runners-up on one occasion in 1979.

Career Aims

• Manage in every country loaded

• Win a top tier league title in every country loaded

• Manage the Hungarian national team

• Lead Hungary to a World Cup

• Win the World Cup with Hungary

• Manage all clubs that I stated I would like to manage

• Top the Hall of Fame

• Win a European club competition

That is all for now. I will update the thread when I've found a club.

I hope everyone enjoys reading :)

7508883.png

Chavdar(Etropole) - Bulgaria

At the start of the game 8 club jobs available. I applied for each one, went on holiday and came back a few days later to 5 offers from 2nd tier sides in Russia, Ukraine, Croatia and 2 from Bulgaria. I immediately ruled out managing the sides in Russia, Ukraine and Croatia and was left with the 2 offers from teams in Bulgaria's second division. In the end I opted for Chavdar due to the much higher budgets they were offering(A transfer budget of £135,000 and wage budget of £4.2K p/w, compared to the transfer budget of £0 and wage budget of £1.3K p/w that Akademik Sofia were offering). The fact that since their establishment in 1922, Chavdar have never played in Bulgaria's top division also persuaded me to join club. Hopefully, I can be the first manager to take them to the top tier.

In terms of structure and rules of the Bulgarian 2nd tier, there are only 10 teams in league. The number of matches stands at 27 with teams playing each other 3 times a season. There's one match rule that states a club must have no more than 1 non-eu player in it's match squad and there's also an interesting wage cap - a clubs wage budget is limited to 60% of it's turnover.

Here is the clubs stadium which has a capacity of 3,000(1,500 seated) :

12362_ori_chavdar_stadium.jpg

Great idea for a save. I was planning to do a "start in Eastern Europe and end up winning the World Cup with Hungary" save way down the line, but you've beaten me to it. Good luck in Bulgaria.

No reason why you couldn't also start up a similar save. It would be interesting to see someone else trying to re-create the golden team of the 50's :)

No reason why you couldn't also start up a similar save. It would be interesting to see someone else trying to re-create the golden team of the 50's :)

Maybe for FM13. No, this just makes it more likely I'll finally bite the bullet and try and get my national team (Ireland) to win a tournament. They could use the help.

Also, is that Jonathan Wilson book as good as I hope? I loved Inverting the Pyramid, and I've had Behind the Curtain sitting in an Amazon basket for a while now.

Maybe for FM13. No, this just makes it more likely I'll finally bite the bullet and try and get my national team (Ireland) to win a tournament. They could use the help.

Also, is that Jonathan Wilson book as good as I hope? I loved Inverting the Pyramid, and I've had Behind the Curtain sitting in an Amazon basket for a while now.

Admittedly I'm not very far into the book(I think I'm on the 2nd or 3rd chapter) but as I'm someone who has very little, if any, knowledge of football in Eastern Europe, I have found it to be a very interesting read :)

7508883.png

Chavdar (Etropole) - Zapadna "B" PFG - 2011/2012 Season Preview

Media Prediction - 3rd

Board Expectations - Achieve a respectable position in the league and reach the 2nd round of the Bulgarian cup

Transfer Budget - £135,000

Wage Budget - £4,193 p/w

Current Total Wage Bill - £3,766 p/w

Transfers

Transfers Summary

Key Additions:

Ivan Karamanov (CM) - A player with pretty good technical and mental attributes for this level. He will be a key figure in the midfield.

Svetoslav Georgiev (CB/SW/DR) - My first signing as Chavdar boss. A very solid defender and he is also the clubs new captain.

Nikolay Panov (CB) - Brought in to partner Georgiev at the back. He's played for quite a few clubs in this division, so his experience at this level should prove to be very useful for us.

Alek Manolov (DR) - The only player I paid a transfer fee for in this transfer window. We were very short of full-backs when I arrived at the club so Manolov will slot straight into the right back spot.

No idea about the standard but the signings look pretty good.

Neither do I really. I'm relying on my scouts judgement at the moment and he seems to think each of my key additions will be "an important player for the team".

7508883.png

Chavdar (Etropole) - Zapadna "B" PFG - 2011/2012 Mid Season Update

ZapadnaBProfesionalnaFutbolnaGrupaOverview_Stages.png

We started the season off slowly - failing to win any of our opening 3 games which left us rock bottom of the table and me wondering whether Bulgaria was the right place to start out my managerial career in Eastern Europe. However, after a 2-1 away defeat to Akademik Sofia, a side that I turn't down in the summer, we went on to keep 7 clean sheets in a row which soon saw saw us leap up the table. A 1-0 win at home to Malesh before the winter break put us level on points at the top with Sportist(despite us already losing to them twice in the league this season) and we now have a great shot at going up automatically.

I would rather forget about our performance in the cup(see a few posts above if you're not sure what I'm talking about). The way in which we knocked out by a side in an unplayable division left me with a bitter taste in my mouth. Anyway, my priority this season was always to be at the top challenging for promotion so overall I'm pleased with how my first 6 months in Bulgaria has played out.

Just got home, went to load up the game and got the "save game could not be loaded" message. A bit of a shame as I was just starting to get into the save. I will probably be returning my original save now as I still have it.

Archived