Manager Earnings League Table

Over the years playing FM I have felt that the player's managerial contract is an area that isn't given much consideration. Contract length is obviously important but wages could have a bigger influence in whether the contract is accepted by you or not. I, personally, never negotiate my wages with the board and always accept the lowest possible amount. I don't care about how high my wages are because I don't want the club to incur a higher expenditure. However, if this was real life, wages would play a large part in the decision of many managers (not all) as to what club they sign for or if they wish to renew their contract.

My proposition would be to introduce a "Manager Earnings League Table" to see how you stack up against your rivals and even past managers. Sub categories could include "Annual Wage" and "Total Career Earnings" as well as many others.

Personally, this would give me more of an incentive to push for a higher wage and seriously consider my options before signing a new contract. I'd like to see how I compare with Roberto Mancini on a yearly basis or see if I can better Sir Alex Ferguson's career earnings. This wouldn't be limited to the more reputable managers and would play an interesting part in lower leagues as well.

In my opinion, this would add a whole new dimension to the game. Right now, the game doesn't really give you - the "Football Manager" much reason to consider things on a personal level and force you to make tough decisions and even question your loyalty. This would add a competitive edge and make your contract an important part of the game.

There's been thread posted similar to this before, I'd be happy with what you're proposing, however, for me personally I still wouldn't be bothered with it, especially as I usually dabble in the lower leagues and usually have contracts in the £250+ region.

Would be interesting though to see how Jose Mourinho wage packet increases throughout his FM career..

Wages affect how likely you are to be sacked and how likely you are to receive other job offers.

This statement doesn't really relate to the purpose of the thread to be honest. It is also not factual. A manager will not be sacked just because his wages are high.

This statement doesn't really relate to the purpose of the thread to be honest. It is also not factual. A manager will not be sacked just because his wages are high.

In fact quite the opposite, a manager will NOT be sacked due to high wages, as the club would have to spend a hefty chunk of their budget buying out a long and expensive contract.

I know you were talking about a league table but in general your discussion was about how you don't give much thought to your manager wage.

As I said in my earlier post: The lower your wage the more likely you are to be sacked (Less compensation to pay) and the more likely you are to receive other job offers (Less compensation to pay).

So overall negotiating a higher wage = more job security but less job offers while negotiating a lower wage = less job security & more job offers.

I know you were talking about a league table but in general your discussion was about how you don't give much thought to your manager wage.

As I said in my earlier post: The lower your wage the more likely you are to be sacked (Less compensation to pay) and the more likely you are to receive other job offers (Less compensation to pay).

So overall negotiating a higher wage = more job security but less job offers while negotiating a lower wage = less job security & more job offers.

The comment about giving my manager wage thought was merely and example of why the league table would raise my interest, that is all.

To your first point: So you're saying that because my wage is as low as it came be I am likely to be sacked by my current club? That is incorrect and I'd argue that you'd be sacked regardless of your wage amount if you were performing extremely poor.

To your second point: In real life I don't believe manager's think that by asking for more money they have more job security and by accepting a lower amount that they might be approached by a number of other clubs. I think their (not all) main concern is earning as much as possible so they can afford all their luxuries.

I appreciate your input, however, and am glad that you think it would be an interesting addition!

The comment about giving my manager wage thought was merely and example of why the league table would raise my interest, that is all.

To your first point: So you're saying that because my wage is as low as it came be I am likely to be sacked by my current club? That is incorrect and I'd argue that you'd be sacked regardless of your wage amount if you were performing extremely poor.

To your second point: In real life I don't believe manager's think that by asking for more money they have more job security and by accepting a lower amount that they might be approached by a number of other clubs. I think their (not all) main concern is earning as much as possible so they can afford all their luxuries.

I appreciate your input, however, and am glad that you think it would be an interesting addition!

You would be sacked regardless if you were extremely poor but if I was Chelsea manager on 200k a week and lost 10 games in a row it would be less likely I would be sacked than if I was on 2k a week.

To the main point of the thread, I think this would be a good idea I am all for any stats and similar things to be included in the game.

Maybe we should actually be able to spend the money we accrue as manager of a team on something, other than having it sitting there doing nothing. Like maybe to go on Holiday, you need to spend some of the money you earn in your career to holiday. Maybe other things could be available to buy as well with the money you get from managing your team, actually giving you an incentive to negotiate for the best possible contract.

There definitely needs to be something there that makes sure that managers, even LLM's such as myself, have the incentive to want to get the best contract they can.

Maybe we should actually be able to spend the money we accrue as manager of a team on something, other than having it sitting there doing nothing. Like maybe to go on Holiday, you need to spend some of the money you earn in your career to holiday. Maybe other things could be available to buy as well with the money you get from managing your team, actually giving you an incentive to negotiate for the best possible contract.

There definitely needs to be something there that makes sure that managers, even LLM's such as myself, have the incentive to want to get the best contract they can.

People have raised the idea of being able to buy stuff before and it gets immediately shot down. This is not the game for that kind of stuff but I do think having useful statistics gathered on earnings and shown in tables would help create a new incentive for many people.

Maybe you could use the money earnt to invest in clubs so you have a bigger transfer budget or help a team if they enter administration. I definatly think something needs to be done otherwise wages for you are pointless.

I would like your wages to add a little to the respect shown to you by players.

Having started as an ex Sunday league footballer with Chimney Corner I am now at Watford. Many players are struggling to find the motivation to play for me because I have still not achieved much in the game. If my salary had even a minor effect on this fact I would have some motivation to negotiate for a higher salary, right now it seems that the only motivation is to possible help delay a sacking. Which in itself is not a bad thing but at the lower levels is totally offset by the need to keep all costs down.

League tables I can do without, I spend too much time looking at data already, but another interesting in game decision is always welcome.

Obviously it would be a bit impractical to have a giant league table with every single manager in the game on it which is where the different categories would come in. This would save trawling through endless amounts of data.

League tables could be broken down into something like "Top 50" and "Top 10" etc for "The World" as a whole and by "League" as well as many others. A geographical filter could also be an option allowing regions such as "Europe" to have a league table too.

In simple terms it would be similar to the hall of fame but would have a lot more options and obviously represents earnings statistics rather than competition success.

You can think that its incorrect if you like, I'm just telling you the way FM works.

The lower your wage, the quicker you'll get sacked when things go wrong.

I never mentioned real life!

:confused:

I never offered an opinion.

I never mentioned real life!

The reason I used a real life example was to highlight the fact that there are more reasons to want a higher wage than you are trying to convey and this should be reflected in the game.

From what I can gather, you are saying "This isn't real life and therefore there is no need for it in the game." However, there are many asepcts of the game which do happen in real life and they are in the game. Trying to replicate a real life environment has made this game the success that it is.

The reason I used a real life example was to highlight the fact that there are more reasons to want a higher wage than you are trying to convey and this should be reflected in the game.

From what I can gather, you are saying "This isn't real life and therefore there is no need for it in the game." However, there are many asepcts of the game which do happen in real life and they are in the game. Trying to replicate a real life environment has made this game the success that it is.

I'm not saying anything of the sort.

Originally you implied that the managers wage serves no purpose and gives you no reason to want a higher wage.

All I've done is inform you what the managers wage is used for in FM and the positives/negatives associated with it.

I can't be 100% sure, but I have a feeling I've read somewhere that the only reason Steve Kean is still in the job at Blackburn is because Venkys can't afford to sack him after he signed the new contract.

I'm not saying anything of the sort.

Originally you implied that the managers wage serves no purpose and gives you no reason to want a higher wage.

All I've done is inform you what the managers wage is used for in FM and the positives/negatives associated with it.

Then I guess we've had a misunderstanding and I appreciate you informing me of the purpose of the manager's wage.

Do you think it could play a more important part in some people's game though?

A club with minimal expectations and a manager who is performing quite poorly on a low wage won't definately result in a sacking. I think people should have another incentive to push for a bigger wage package other than for job security, what about for personal goals?

I can't be 100% sure, but I have a feeling I've read somewhere that the only reason Steve Kean is still in the job at Blackburn is because Venkys can't afford to sack him after he signed the new contract.

As far as I, and most other Blackburn fans believe, this is exactly right. Unfourtunately for us. Then again after our masterful performances against Fulham and Everton we may have hit the turning point

People have raised the idea of being able to buy stuff before and it gets immediately shot down. This is not the game for that kind of stuff but I do think having useful statistics gathered on earnings and shown in tables would help create a new incentive for many people.

I know other games do it, it's not even what I want in the game tbh, we just need some sort of incentive to get the best wages we can. Even having a wage "league" table to compare your earnings to other teams doesn't appeal to me. The idea of being able to invest in the club would be good but I suppose it would make it easier to get success and improve the club if you use the money to invest in the club. Maybe if it was something artificial that didn't impact the club itself but can improve the morale of your players a little, like a night out or a team bonding session.

Great idea, I also never negotiate my wages although I do accept whatever they are offering me because I want to at least feel like I command respect. In real life, I think if players found out that Barcelona's new manager was only being paid £500 a week they probably would think the situation a bit dubious.

• 11 months later...

I've resurrected this thread to ask a question. With the new addition of 'career earnings' for managers I was wondering if a league table can be found anywhere in game? Can a direct comparison be drawn between multiple managers' career earnings?

Archived