Well Its safe to say now....... I will not be playing FM12 anymore

This is nothing to do with bugs or moral or any issue to do with in game things.

I posted this thread explaining my situation:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/296049-Screen-Resolution-Dilemma

71 views not one reply, I know maybe no-ones knows how to help. So to update everyone of those 71 people on my situation and why I have been compelled to write this fairwell post to FM12.

Since, no one had got back to me with a way of altering my FM screen resolution outside of loading the game. I deleted all FM12 related folders off my computer and re-installed it via steam when the game finished downloading I verified my game cache and deleted local content and verified my game cache again to make sure and pressed PLAY from the Library in Steam.

What was the outcome? I hear you ask..... Well nothing changed, still get a message saying my TV does not support the Resolution.

Why after uninstalling the game and re-installing the game the settings do not revert back to default I don't know. I know it was my own fault not changing the resolution when I changed the main PC resolution which I am :mad: with myself over. Though you would have thought after reinstalling the game it would revert back to default.

I hope my problems will be a warning to others. Make sure you check your new TVs resolution capabilities when FM is concerned before getting rid of your old TV.

So Hello FM10 or FM11 haven't decided which to install.

Tell me about especially has I was half way through my 45 year career save. Decided to use the starting age restriction has a end career point start has a sunday league rep manager aged 25 and try and become top manager by the time I turn 70. only being able to move clubs by being head hunted.

Have you checked the skinning forums? Perhaps ask there as someone may have made a skin to support that resolution.

As far as I know, FM doesn't translate well on a TV or at certain resolutions. It would require a custom skin, to the best of my knowledge.

Personally, I didn't see your original thread and I frequent the forums often. Sometimes things just get pushed down the page when things get hectic... like if Scholes comes out of retirement there's 100 posts asking if he'll be in the update etc.

If you don't get help with the original topic just bump it back up the page.

I don't understand it. I just checked in the preferences section and FM clearly supports resolutions lower than that of the new TV. I can't imagine the game wouldn't let you install at an acceptable lower resolution if you changed to it on the desktop before installing the game.

On my old TV the resolution for both PC and in the FM preference screen was set to 1600 x 900. My new TVs highest resolution is 1360 x 768. When I loaded up my PC after connecting it to my new TV it displayed a message saying that the resolution was not supported. Before I got rid of my old TV I reconnected it to the PC and changed the PC (not FM preference screen) resolution to 1360 x 768, so when I re-connected the new TV it loaded without the message, due to family problems I didn't have chance to load up FM before I got rid of the old TV, so when I did press play from the steam library my screen goes black and up pops the message TV does not support resolution.

So this is where I am at, I can't even get to the main page of FM12 to change the preferences. So FM12 is now a no go.

I've tried everything first time I just uninstalled the game without deleting the my docs folder, reinstalled the same problem. Next I deleted the my docs folder and uninstalled the game then reinstalled the same problem, then I did that step again but when it installed I verified cache same problem, next I redid that step but before verifying cache I deleted local content through steam then verified and still the problem occurs. OK writing this has made me think of something else I could do and that is unistalling steam and then reinstall FM12 it will be a couple of hours with my download speed (damn ADSL bandwidth)

But have you manually gone and deleted your game cache? Not thru Steam?

The settings you have in FM is there....

C:\users\username\appdata\roaming\sports interactive\fm2012\HERE!

You have to turn on so that hidden files/folders is viewable. The appdata folder is a hidden folder.

Before I got rid of my old TV I reconnected it to the PC and changed the PC (not FM preference screen) resolution to 1360 x 768...

FM does not support that resolution. Change to one that FM supports (like 1024x768) and then install.

OK. I think you just made your self many hours of downloading and installing. Try to start the game first when you have re-installed it. If it's not right after that, you can see if you delete the cache where i said it is. (hoping i'm right in my prediction.....)

Good luck. Im going to bed...

Before I got rid of my old TV I reconnected it to the PC and changed the PC (not FM preference screen) resolution to 1360 x 768...

FM does not support that resolution. Change to one that FM supports (like 1024x768) and then install.

Cheers AytchMan, just changed the resolution and installing FM

Please try this:

Go to Games

Select FM12

Right click on it

Click on Properties

Make sure the tab is General

Click on Set launch options

write -w 1360 -h 768

Launch the game

click ok

tell me if it worked

Thanks poola will try this if what I am doing now or what has been suggested already doesn't work

Just to add, I'm sure it used to be that FM could be started via the command line and it allowed different parameters to be set. Perhaps somebody here can recall how to force a particular resolution to take effect? I'm that if you can start FM once then you can change the preferences to your resolution for the future.

Took so long with my post, it's already answered!

Just to add, I'm sure it used to be that FM could be started via the command line and it allowed different parameters to be set. Perhaps somebody here can recall how to force a particular resolution to take effect?

poola21's solution is more or less this. It's telling Steam to force the resolution as it launches it. Not sure if it will work, since it's an FM problem. But someone from SI would be able to tell The Welsh Lad if there's a file somewhere that be text-edited to change the resolution settings outside of the game.

What type of TV do you have? And how do you have it plugged into your PC? Are you using VGA or HDMI?

Also, 1360 x 768 is not a HD TV resolution. It's a 16:10 aspect ratio for computer screens. Your HDTV is 16:9 and the nearest 16:9 resolution would be 1366 x 768. If you are trying to play full screen your issue is likely occurring because you are trying to force the wrong aspect ratio to display on your screen.

Does the error message show up as a Windows error message or is it a TV message?

Reccy, that's because when you use a HDMI cable to a TV the TV itself assumes you are operating it as a HDTV and not a computer monitor from some video cards, so it overscans somewhat and doesn't support non HDTV resolutions like those above 1920 x 1080.

Best way to fix is what you did.

Noticed in your other thread you said it was a TV message about the resolution, not a PC one. This is because although Windows supports the resolution you've chosen and can scale accordingly the signal it sends to your TV normally, FM doesn't. So when you try to start it in full-screen mode, FM kicks in and sends a resolution the TV can't understand so the TV tells you it can't support that resolution.

Why dont you try starting Windows in Safe Mode?

If you added --reset_preferences to the shortcut for previous FMs it loaded with default prefs. Seems to have worked for fm 12 too. In Library section of Steam right click FM12, select properties then set launch options.. and add --reset_preferences. Don't forgot to remove it when you load up again.

OK. I think you just made your self many hours of downloading and installing. Try to start the game first when you have re-installed it. If it's not right after that, you can see if you delete the cache where i said it is. (hoping i'm right in my prediction.....)

Good luck. Im going to bed...

Please try this:

Go to Games

Select FM12

Right click on it

Click on Properties

Make sure the tab is General

Click on Set launch options

write -w 1360 -h 768

Launch the game

click ok

tell me if it worked

So far none of these have worked. Sorry for the late reply, but I did say it would take a few hours to install everything again, so whilst it was downloaded I went to bed.

What type of TV do you have? And how do you have it plugged into your PC? Are you using VGA or HDMI?

Also, 1360 x 768 is not a HD TV resolution. It's a 16:10 aspect ratio for computer screens. Your HDTV is 16:9 and the nearest 16:9 resolution would be 1366 x 768. If you are trying to play full screen your issue is likely occurring because you are trying to force the wrong aspect ratio to display on your screen.

Does the error message show up as a Windows error message or is it a TV message?

It shows up has a TV message but my main PC window loads up OK its just when I start FM

If you added --reset_preferences to the shortcut for previous FMs it loaded with default prefs. Seems to have worked for fm 12 too. In Library section of Steam right click FM12, select properties then set launch options.. and add --reset_preferences. Don't forgot to remove it when you load up again.

Your a legend this has worked, FM loaded up, I can't thank you enough. It's just a shame I deleted my save games.

Archived