Signing a player from a rival club = 100% impossible

It seems as though this is genuinely impossible. I can understand that it very rarely happens, but it's not impossible. Rooney's people were obviously talking to Man City last year. Figo went from Barca to Real. In the last decade, loads of players transferred between Inter and Milan. Silvestre went from United to Arsenal. Heinze was close to joining Liverpool from United, which means he wanted to join.

In FM2012, players wont even think about joining a rival club. What makes it worse (in my experience of playing this game) players on the transfer list, even requesting a transfer, wont even contemplate joining a rival club!! Why? This is completely silly. If Rooney was on the transfer list at United, he would at least negotiate with city. On FM12, you cant even negotiate. Spoils the game slightly.

People have been bemoaning this feature for a few incarnations now, it was (might still be) a major problem in Italy where every club hates every other club.

As you've rightly pointed out players will play for two rival clubs & this does need fixing.

In my (short-lived) stay at Bayern I wasn't able to sign two free agents (a newgen and an average guy whose name I can't recall now) because they had short and quite uneventful stint at Hamburg and Schalke...

That's just beyond the usual stupidity of semi-established players not willing to join a (slightly) better club.. Here we have average players currently UNEMPLOYED refusing a move to Germany's best club just based on moronic loyalty to a club where they barely played before getting offloaded unceremoniously.

Seriously, rivalries should just affect players and staff with high loyalty and with a remarkable history at the club...

I'd be quite bemused to see Gerrard joining United, but there'd be nothing wrong with Joe Average, former LFC U19 filler, joining a rival club as backup/rotation... I'd be disappointed to see otherwise.

I'd also like to add that while it is next to impossible for you to sign from a rival club, players from your club will jump ship for your rivals in a heartbeat if the mood takes them. It's great if you're trying to unload a player, but a total ballache if a player you want to keep if getting his head turned by your rivals making noise in the press.

Archived