Can Coaches Improve?

In theory, yes...though it seems to be a crapshoot. For instance, I signed Tony Meola as a GK coach at the start of the game. He had an 18 for GK coaching. Currently in 2014, and his GK ability has fallen to 15 for some reason, even though he's relatively young (41 or so) and had plenty of room to improve in terms of PA. Same thing happened last year with him in FM11. Checked him with FMRTE, and his CA is at 111, which is 26 points higher than his starting CA rating in the database, but he's apparently becoming worse at the only job his position requires.

In theory, yes...though it seems to be a crapshoot. For instance, I signed Tony Meola as a GK coach at the start of the game. He had an 18 for GK coaching. Currently in 2014, and his GK ability has fallen to 15 for some reason, even though he's relatively young (41 or so) and had plenty of room to improve in terms of PA. Same thing happened last year with him in FM11. Checked him with FMRTE, and his CA is at 111, which is 26 points higher than his starting CA rating in the database, but he's apparently becoming worse at the only job his position requires.

Other attributes will have improved as he becomes a more rounded coach. I've always wondered if this is down to how adaptable they are!

They absolutely. I respectfully desagree with phnompenhandy though. I seem to find that the stats improve depending on what you use them for. Scouts especially. The guy who does the next matches seems to improve tacticly, while they JPA?JPP leaps rapidly if your scouts are constantly busy. I believe the same applies with coaches. The relevance of the tasks they perform to their current attributes as well as who they train fluctuates accordingly. ie Youth coaches will see juumps in Works with youngsters. Staff personalities play a part too. Not only in the improvement of your players, but in their own attributes as well.

It's probably not conclusive enough for your liking (no before screenie), but here's a guy who has been taking the tactical training ever since I noticed it was what he's best at. I can guarentee you he was not a 9-star coach when I signed him, as we were a third tier Belgian side at the time. I can also assure you I have not changed which coach trains which area in at least three seasons, and probably more like five or six.

I am a little surpised at his Working with Youngsters stat, as I have a very young squad, but then again, until recently, I didn't have actual (yth) players, so that probably explains it.

EDIT : Scratch all that, I found a coach in my backroom staff who did exist at the game start.

Before shot

After shot

As with De Bock, he's been on Ball Control coaching for at least three, if not a lot more years. I don't plan to replay the last six years with him on attacking or coaching training to see if those attributes increase instead, but there's at least some data for you to suggest coaches get better at their specific job, not any job.

I tend to hire young scouts with high JPA and JCA. Over a few year's time many of them become 20 20's. Others, on the other hand, seem to sit right where they started. I have not noticed any pattern but if you don't over a new contract to the ones who haven't improved it won't be long before you have a scouting staff that is unrealistically good.

Archived