Lack of good English youngsters/regens

So I've just started my sixth season as Chelsea manager. Lampard is retiring at the end of the season (wanted him to retire ages ago but eventually called it). Terry is getting old and will retire soon. I'm struggling to get any home grown players (that are fairly decent) in my squad. I managed to register my squad with six spare spaces as I have a fairly small squad and only had 4 players home grown out of the required 8.

Now, with Lampard and Terry soon to be retiring thats two home grown players gone. I have Jack Rodwell and Adam Johnson as back up players who are both home grown. The problem is there doesn't seem to be any decent young English players or home grown ones. All regens are Spanish, Brazilian, etc. and I want a few English youngsters to bring through and lead the team in years to come. There isn't any quality players. Has anyone else run into this problem? When Lampard retires I'll only have three English players and I want to have quite a few in my squad. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Their nationality doesn't affect their homegrown status. You should have been snapping up high PA under 18 y.o. youngsters from around the globe to alleviate that problem, but as for decent English players, what clubs have got decent training facilities? Just a case of finding 4/5 star potential youngsters from England and 'do a Chelsea' and buy their dads a house and ferrari each!!!

Generally I agree, however as England manager in 2017 I have plenty of good regens in my squad and went on a 20 match unbeaten run with England using mostly regens. The reason why I agree is that even though they tend to perform well english players' attributes are generally lower than, say, the spanish regens.

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed this problem in last years game and it seems the same thing is happening on this years game. I'm currently in 2021 and have taken over the English National Team. I have only 2 English regens in the entire squad and my English club team doesn't have any. Wayne Rooney at 36 is still one of the main strikers... If you look at the rest of the countries such as Spain, France, Brazil, Argentina or Italy there are plenty of quality regens being generated. I'm not quite sure why this problem exists as all the leagues mentioned are being run in full detail and are all set to playable.

I dropped him from the squad. Was playing in the Championship then moved to Blackburn but he really isn't good enough on my game with his current ability. I still have Jones & Smalling at CB with Shawcross and Bennett in reserve. Still no new regens in sight when they are eventually past it...

i was thinking about this lastnight on my Man United save, Into my 3rd season now and ive just signed Matthew French from Southampton who apparently is going to be a key member of the team... ive had a decent Welsh striker come through the youth system and nothing much else to shout about, id like to relax on the big money transfers but seemed to have picked up a few gems from Germany, Spain and France... and one from Turkey who will sign when he is 18.

I just want to start bringing through some youth talent, especially home grown but it just doesnt seem to happen for me on the past few FMs. Hope this Matthew French can be something special he already has decent playmaking stats

Archived