FM11 Champions League Qualification - is this a known bug??

I'm managing Sporting Lisbon in the 2014/2015 season and I've noticed that Barcelona are in my Euro Cup group despite them finishing 2nd in the Spanish league the previous season. I can't seem to find any reason why they would be in the Euro Cup and not the Champions League as they should be. Is this a known bug as I've not come across it before??

Thanks

I presume they didn't make it past the group stages of the Champions League? Thus were demoted into the Euro Cup

well if they didnt make it out of the group stage, they wouldn't end up in the europa league group stage. They would go through to the knockout stages....

I presume they didn't make it past the group stages of the Champions League? Thus were demoted into the Euro Cup

They would only end up in the Europa League group stage by losing in the qualifying round of the Champions League. But by finishing 2nd in La Liga they should have gone directly into the Champions League group stage. If they had finished 3rd in the group stage they would have been demoted into the Europa League first knockout round.

Can't say I've noticed it before. Did they win the Europa League the previous season? If they did maybe the game incorrectly put them in it as holders instead of the Champions League that they should have been in.

Cheers for the replies. Just to clarify, this is the beginning of the season so Barca haven't dropped out of the Champs League nor have they played a CL qualifier and lost that. As mije1983 says, as they finished 2nd in la liga they should be going straight in the Champions League group stage. Seems kind of strange, hopefully it's just a one season thing and next season it will correct itself as I like everything to be realistic, even if it's not directly affecting the team I'm managing.

I maybe wrong but did Barcelona win he Europa League the season before. If this is the case then they have automatic entry to the group stages of the Europa League and their Champions League slot would be given to a lower placed team. It's my understanding that only if the Winners of the Europa League win their nations League title that they will enter the Champions League.

This happened to FC Porto because in the last season they one the Europa League they also won the Portuguese Top Division title so they could not defend the Europa League title (unless they finished 3rd in their group and got sent to the Europa League).

Re: digsy11, yes this is exactly what has happened. I've played on a bit and now the Champions League groups have been drawn. Barca are in that as well as the Europa League. I've checked their fixtures and they will indeed be in both competitions. Never come across this before but it seems on rare occasions it can happen. Bit odd that SI didn't sort it after FM09. I'm slightly concerned that if Barca finish third in their CL group they'll drop into the Europa League, which they're already in. Could muck things up quite a bit.

Archived