What's your highest transfer budget that you've been given? I just recieved..

After watching Real Madrid fall to Europa-League obscurity in the 9th or 10th season in FM11, I tired of it and added a manager to get rid of some deadwood and sign some quality. I used £250m in total, and they re-hired Mourinho after I retired my secret agent. It helped but it is strange how awful the AI is at using the players at their disposal...

What difference does it make if the club is losing money? I never pay attention to the financial side of the game at all. The financial model is not great or realistic enough to worry about it. In all the years of FM I've never got tongue lashing from the board, or threatened with sack of finances.

Don't worry about finances. Spend what you want and buy whoever you want for whatever you want.

I was in the year 2070 and I bought a player for €156m. Yep. Why? Because I could. I still had about €700m to spend.

The game never takes into account long term finances, or scales of economy over time. You keep earning big money for 50 years, and you still pay the same costs for staff and players. Where in reality, the price and wages and running costs etc. should all be reflected in an economic scale. Perhaps sometimes the financials for a few years go bad, and the Pound isn't as strong against the Dollar or something.

But putting something like that into the game would be colossal.

What difference does it make if the club is losing money? I never pay attention to the financial side of the game at all. The financial model is not great or realistic enough to worry about it. In all the years of FM I've never got tongue lashing from the board, or threatened with sack of finances.

Don't worry about finances. Spend what you want and buy whoever you want for whatever you want.

I was in the year 2070 and I bought a player for €156m. Yep. Why? Because I could. I still had about €700m to spend.

The game never takes into account long term finances, or scales of economy over time. You keep earning big money for 50 years, and you still pay the same costs for staff and players. Where in reality, the price and wages and running costs etc. should all be reflected in an economic scale. Perhaps sometimes the financials for a few years go bad, and the Pound isn't as strong against the Dollar or something.

But putting something like that into the game would be colossal.

I kept a tight budget in my Las Palmas game because I wanted to afford a new stadium as quickly as possible. It cost me £250m, held 55000 and if I kept being in the red until the season tickets and CL-money came in every year - which is what you are suggesting, that wouldn't have been possible.

What do you need a new stadium for? It's a nothing thing in the game. Club reputation goes up a pinch maybe.

But if I'm winning champions league and the league year in year out, rep is going up anyway. New stadiums are nice, but not as nice as buying the best players in the world and watching them destroy team after team after team.

I pour most of the cash I get into buying the very best players for whatever cash is necessary.

Well, that's how I like to do it.

Money is way too fun in FM. There doesn't seem to be any repercussions in doing this. The Board tell me that the club is in debt, I just shrug my shoulders and continue on :)

What do you need a new stadium for? It's a nothing thing in the game. Club reputation goes up a pinch maybe.

But if I'm winning champions league and the league year in year out, rep is going up anyway. New stadiums are nice, but not as nice as buying the best players in the world and watching them destroy team after team after team.

I pour most of the cash I get into buying the very best players for whatever cash is necessary.

Well, that's how I like to do it.

Money is way too fun in FM. There doesn't seem to be any repercussions in doing this. The Board tell me that the club is in debt, I just shrug my shoulders and continue on :)

I signed them young and made them the best players in the world instead ;) That's fun too!

i got 58k with east stirlingshire in SD2.... not like you can spend it though lol

21 mill as blackpool in first january, spent most of it before they changed the budget again before start of next season.

got well over 58 million as man utd.

and everton are skint where they getting money from?

I signed them young and made them the best players in the world instead ;) That's fun too!

Yeh I do that too. Got my Arsenal team to winners for every comp over 10 seasons. So I abandoned the game. Checked out the players on FM Scout - I had signed about 15 of the best players in the world through scouting, when they were young.

It was nice to see I had done a great job with signing and getting them to full potential.

We all do different things for fun. Sometimes I'll try get a new stadium too - just for fun. And I don't need to scimp in the transfer market. I'll buy the best youth players around. Built the team up, in 6 seasons I will have a new stadium.

Yeh I do that too. Got my Arsenal team to winners for every comp over 10 seasons. So I abandoned the game. Checked out the players on FM Scout - I had signed about 15 of the best players in the world through scouting, when they were young.

It was nice to see I had done a great job with signing and getting them to full potential.

We all do different things for fun. Sometimes I'll try get a new stadium too - just for fun. And I don't need to scimp in the transfer market. I'll buy the best youth players around. Built the team up, in 6 seasons I will have a new stadium.

Well obviously the first goal was to make Las Palmas the best club in the world. Once that was achieved, in 2017 or so, a new goal was to become the -biggest- club in the world and to do that I needed a much bigger stadium. My disappointment was huge when I found out that SI had set a completely nonsensical 20-year minimum limit to build a new stadium and Las Palmas' was built in 2001, so planning of the new stadium wouldn't start before 2021 at the earliest. The thought of playing 4-5 more seasons in the off chance that maybe a new stadium would be in place by 2023 would have had me discontinue the whole savegame, so I went into FMRTE and changed stadium build year to 1991. The stadium was in my name and was finished in 2020 I think.

Ah yes good job I suppose. 20 years isn't too ridiculous for a new stadium. I would have slogged out those years though. I would have had a lot of fun scouting and just put the game on the fastest speed with no replays, as I'd win most games anyway.

With Arsenal I was scoring over 120 goals a season and conceding like 15 or something. I didn't have to pay attention to the matches, they actually became a hindrance in my search for youth prospects lol. I would rue the match day.

I would be off signing scouts from different regions, new coaches, building up the Scouting Knowledge. Paid 30m for an 18 year old, fans went mental saying it was a waste of money. Turned out to be the "next Messi" (in my head).

As the years roll on in FM your transfer budget just goes up and up... especially if you're winning everything. Real Madrid spend a bucket load on players IRL. Why? Because they can.

If I'm not happy with a certain area of a team or see a player on the continent that I want - I'll buy them.

At Arsenal I had 6 world class strikers in a 2 man strike force. I had to train 4 of them to be Wingers and AMC just so I had more rotation options. All my defenders were trained to play DL DR DC. And I had to train some MC to be DMC just so I could rotate them more.

I could have easily played 4 different teams in a row.

In conclusion, the transfer budget and realism goes out of the game because it's too easy to build up, and the board don't put any restrictions on transfers. "Oh you want to spend €350m in this transfer window... ooooh look something shiny".

And let's not forget you can multiply that by 4 with the 48 months exploit... >£1b transfer budgets, anyone?

Personally, I think there's far too much money in FM. No club will get a £400m transfer budget any time soon. Even City's per-season spending peaked at around £100m and you can bet that was structured over several years as well.

And let's not forget you can multiply that by 4 with the 48 months exploit... >£1b transfer budgets, anyone?

Personally, I think there's far too much money in FM. No club will get a £400m transfer budget any time soon. Even City's per-season spending peaked at around £100m and you can bet that was structured over several years as well.

I think Eugene already does that tbh.

I honestly don't know how he can do any of that playing in a realistic manner but whatever floats your boat I guess.

Some clubs have far too much money yes, mostly because they don't use them. Most clubs are broke, though, and that is not realistic either. This is evident already in the second season, when the healthy balance most clubs start out with is gone and never appears again.

Well if I have a budget of €350m I wouldn't use the exploit here. I'd just buy the player for €50m or €100m or whatever. I paid €128m upfront for Fabregas before, because I could.

I think Eugene already does that tbh.

I honestly don't know how he can do any of that playing in a realistic manner but whatever floats your boat I guess.

Yeh well you might do things I don't agree with - so each to their own.

To be honest, the only reason I do it all the time is because it's so ridiculous for years SI have let this go on. I think I'm banging on about this about once a week or so, for the last 3 years.

It needs to be changed. It's a farce. For a game that says it's the most realistic football manager simulation out there - the financial models are a joke.

It needs to be changed. It's a farce. For a game that says it's the most realistic football manager simulation out there - the financial models are a joke.

How do you get that much money though??

Looking at my current FM11 save I went from Hereford > Millwall > Hearts > Lazio in around 2016/2017. I had seven years at Lazio finishing between 4th & 8th every season turning them from having the oldest squad in the league to having one of the youngest. Each year I made a small profit of between £5m & £10m after spending in the region of £10m in transfers each season whilst shareholders creamed off a chunk of the profit.

I'm now at Schalke who have a bank balance of around £40m in 2025. I got a £5m transfer budget after finishing 5th last season after making a profit of around £10m last year.

Finishing higher in the league & getting further in Europe would earn me a little extra but even if I won both I would only get another £10m at most. I really don't know how you build such a massive pot of cash without doing something I wouldn't consider fair.

EDIT

The likes of Barcelona, Real & Man Utd are spending a lot of money in my save so I guess if you are one of those clubs you could but outside of the elite/tycoon clubs I've certainly not seen that sort of money.

Well if I have a budget of €350m I wouldn't use the exploit here. I'd just buy the player for €50m or €100m or whatever. I paid €128m upfront for Fabregas before, because I could.

Yeh well you might do things I don't agree with - so each to their own.

To be honest, the only reason I do it all the time is because it's so ridiculous for years SI have let this go on. I think I'm banging on about this about once a week or so, for the last 3 years.

Finally I've found someone else than me who thinks this! - I love FM, but the financial side of things is just ridiculous. An absolute joke!

Although it has gotten smidge better in the later FM's it is still unbelievably ease to turn just about any european club into the richest club in the game.. I'm no football-finance expert so I dont know what could improve it, but something needs to be done

Looking at my current FM11 save I went from Hereford > Millwall > Hearts > Lazio in around 2016/2017. I had seven years at Lazio finishing between 4th & 8th every season turning them from having the oldest squad in the league to having one of the youngest. Each year I made a small profit of between £5m & £10m after spending in the region of £10m in transfers each season whilst shareholders creamed off a chunk of the profit.

I'm now at Schalke who have a bank balance of around £40m in 2025. I got a £5m transfer budget after finishing 5th last season after making a profit of around £10m last year.

Finishing higher in the league & getting further in Europe would earn me a little extra but even if I won both I would only get another £10m at most. I really don't know how you build such a massive pot of cash without doing something I wouldn't consider fair.

I turned a faroese club into a champions league regular (no cheating) and in the end had HUGE transfer budget (relatively) and spent between £10-30 mil every season. Sure, it took 10-15 years, but the fact that it is even possible is a joke. It MIGHT be possible to do it on a smaller scale.. as in 1-5 mil budget each season, but not 30 mil.. NEVER! (unless some rich arab comes by :D)

Finally I've found someone else than me who thinks this! - I love FM, but the financial side of things is just ridiculous. An absolute joke!

Although it has gotten smidge better in the later FM's it is still unbelievably ease to turn just about any european club into the richest club in the game.. I'm no football-finance expert so I dont know what could improve it, but something needs to be done

Many people who want a realistic simulation agree with financial model being a joke. It's designed badly with no logic around it and serious repercussions.

Even it's basic level is broken. How can a team offer me 40m transfer budget when they haven't calculated that they will be losing money down the line?

You get in the red without doing anything wrong. And I'm not talking about big teams (they do it in real life too - but they have amazing revenue). I'm talking about mid-table teams as well.

I don't know. I buy players on 48 month deals. So the transfer budget is only scratched. The next season I'm offered a larger transfer budget. I do the same again. Buy the best, sell the worst.

All in all I'll spend about 20m in one transfer window (really something like 250m), but I'll sell off players for 20 or 30m when the AI bids for them that high. But it's usually just selling off anyone who has fallen to 3 stars or below in the Assistant Report.

And I always put in 25% of next transfer when selling a player. 6 seasons down the line "KACHING" you get 5m for a player you sold off years ago.

The main thing to do is - keep the players with 3.5 stars and above. Then sell the 3 star or below. Only buy players that you have scouted thoroughly (3 matches or more) that have 4 stars or more.

I took over Arsenal after a long stint in Brazil and a short stint with Sunderland. And when I got to Arsenal I signed really good coaches. Theo Walcott had fallen to below 3 stars.

Sold him for 40m to Inter. The fans were pissed, but I didn't care. I just signed better players.

The key is to use 48 month transfers when you're buying, and only buy 4* players or more. When you're selling off players below 3.5* then make sure you include a 25% of next transfer fee.

You'll make money that season in transfers, as you'll spend a fraction of what you are actually paying for them. But every year your transfer budget goes up and up and up.

I'd sell off about 4 or 5, right in June, as soon as I can.

Then I'd look at what positions I need to sign players in while that's going on.

Then if I need a third right back I'll look for a youth player. Or someone better than what I currently have, depends. If I can find a 4* Ability scouted player I'll sign them, if I can't then I go for the potential.

Last season, at Sunderland, I sold my sub goalkeeper for €15m. I already had Peter Czech, who I picked up on a free - which was great. So I sold off the Keeper with less Ability he was now rated at 3*

Morale does dip a tiny bit when players start leaving, but it's early June, so I have til mid-August to sort it out.

Signing some big names does help to boost morale, do this around July.

But if I've scouted players that are 4* or more - I'll more than likely buy them. Then sell off all the players who ability has dropped below 3.5* because of the new arrivals.

I'd sell off about 4 or 5, right in June, as soon as I can.

Then I'd look at what positions I need to sign players in while that's going on.

Then if I need a third right back I'll look for a youth player. Or someone better than what I currently have, depends. If I can find a 4* Ability scouted player I'll sign them, if I can't then I go for the potential.

Last season, at Sunderland, I sold my sub goalkeeper for €15m. I already had Peter Czech, who I picked up on a free - which was great. So I sold off the Keeper with less Ability he was now rated at 3*

Morale does dip a tiny bit when players start leaving, but it's early June, so I have til mid-August to sort it out.

Signing some big names does help to boost morale, do this around July.

But if I've scouted players that are 4* or more - I'll more than likely buy them. Then sell off all the players who ability has dropped below 3.5* because of the new arrivals.

It's just that it's a bit scary that you can operate with a revolving door policy that is Harry Redknapp times a thousand. Any top club that tries to pull this stunt on a consistent basis in reality would have no stability whatsoever. Imagine getting an offer from that club - you'd know there is no job security.

Player turnover should be a bad thing!

If I've already sold a bunch of players, and buy new players - I wait until next transfer window (either Jan or Jun) to sell off any other player that has fallen below the 3.5* star rating.

Some players only get 1 season with me, some get 2 or 3, and only the really good end up staying for a long time.

It's just that it's a bit scary that you can operate with a revolving door policy that is Harry Redknapp times a thousand. Any top club that tries to pull this stunt on a consistent basis in reality would have no stability whatsoever. Imagine getting an offer from that club - you'd know there is no job security.

Player turnover should be a bad thing!

I agree.

I don't even look at what players are going. I just sort by potential stars, select 3* or below, right click, offer to clubs.

You should see when I take over a club.

It's an instant culling. I'd say when I sign for a new club the crapper players would be quaking - here comes the grim reaper! :D

I think at a Utd save, joined around 2030 or so. I spent €350m in the first transfer window, buying 9 players. I sold 25 players, for about €150m.

It's an instant culling. I'd say when I sign for a new club the crapper players would be quaking - here comes the grim reaper! :D

I think at a Utd save, joined around 2030 or so. I spent €350m in the first transfer window, buying 9 players. I sold 25 players, for about €150m.

It's like F1 qualifying... You walk into training with a sadistic list of players, and around half of them are in the elimination zone. The players panic and begin trying to impress you in training. You move players up and down the list... Then eventually, time is up. Boom - 25 players are gone. Everyone has wet themselves.

They think it's over. Oh, no, not for Eugene. The dreaded list appears again in December. "Come on, Kuyt... You want to stay here, right? Are you 3.5 stars, or are you 4 stars?"

"4 stars sir!" Kuyt is sweating profusely. "Please don't sell me!"

Nobody asks why 3.5 stars seems so "arbitrary". Rumour has it that asking about this deducts 0.64 stars from your score.

Man, if what Eugene says it's true it completely trashes any kind of simulation talk about this game.

The lack of stability should play more of a factor maybe? But it's not like this is possible without the exploit, right?

In FM12 I have still not been able to uphold team gelling through a summer transfer window. I have tried restraining myself, signing like 3-4 players and getting rid of the same amount, but the whole team was still total strangers to each other until January. So now I don't bother anymore. With Andorra I replaced almost the entire squad all three seasons, and team gelling is not actually worse than when I signed 4 in that other game.

Maybe if you tried signing no players the team would still find each other with passes come August, so if that is not how you do things I'd suggest replacing as many players as you possibly can since the whole gelling coding is evidently on/off.

Archived