Mexico Home Friendlies in USA

Not sure if this is a bug so raising it here first just to see if anyone else has noticed it. From about 2018 all Mexico's home friendlies are being played at stadiums in USA. Competitive matches are all played at Estadio Azteca, their stadium but friendlies are played in USA. Again, I'm not sure if it is a bug, perhaps its a real life agreement of some sort but it might have something to do with Mexico hosting the World Cup in 2026. Anyone know why this is?

From the limited knowledge I have about the CONCACAF, Mexico plays most of their friendlies in US cities with a lot of Hispanic nationalities, its safer for the visiting teams and attracts more fans to the stadiums. They play most of their competitive matches in Mexico to give them a competitive advantage in the high altitude setting.

Just want to mention another side of the coin..it all boils down to money.

Being mexican living in the states has allowed me to notice this small trend. Simply put, outside of competitive matches and big name matches (against teams that are top of the world rankings), they are able to generate a bigger crowd in the US (since people here don't get to see mexican players often, they will pay $80 for a good seat, i know because I have done it) combining both the mexican crowd as well as the other team's, which usually tends to be the minority. The company that the Mexican federation apparently uses to set up the contracts with other teams requires a certain amount of games per year to be played in the states. However, the reason why competitive games are usually played in mexico (and usually at Estadio Azteca) is because of a couple of reason. As has been mentioned, the altitude helps at home games as does the vast amount of smog in the air over the city.

Now if all this is taken into account in FM, I have no idea, as I am just a new player, but it seems like it might.

Archived