Nation got extra champions league spot. Why?

I'm managing Brøndby in the Danish superliga. In the season 2018/2019 I won Champions League (12.1.1 didn't make the game more difficult imo).

For years the winner in the superliga qualified directly and the runners up should qualify (Denmark are 11th and have been so for years). But after I've won the Champions League suddenly 2 teams qualify directly and 3rd in the superliga must qualify. (I've won the superliga for years so I would qualify for Champions League directly).

Why do Denmark get an extra Champions League spot?

In FM11 when I won the Champions League with Juventus we didn't get 5 spots. Though, I have seen before a nation get 5 spots in the Champions League... How is that possible?

It has nothing to do with coefficients as Denmark are still 11th and has been so for years.

I did write that in my OP.

It has everything to do with Co-efficients as has the link Turneep gave you.

Every game that is played in Europe counts towards your countries Co-efficients. These are calculated over a five year period with countries then ranked by the overall total.

Countries move up & down the rankings over the years and as a result receive different entries into European competition. Just because Denmark are ranked 11th now doesn't mean they will be forever.

It has everything to do with Co-efficients as has the link Turneep gave you.

Every game that is played in Europe counts towards your countries Co-efficients. These are calculated over a five year period with countries then ranked by the overall total.

Countries move up & down the rankings over the years and as a result receive different entries into European competition. Just because Denmark are ranked 11th now doesn't mean they will be forever.

Yes I know how coefficients work. That's way I'm confused that Denmark got an extra Champions League spot. Denmark are and have been for years in the 11th spot (nothing has changed coefficients wise) and so only the winner of the Danish superliga should qualify for CL and runners up should play qualification.

Actually reading your OP again I think you mean Denmark are still ranked 11th.

In which case Denmark have gained an extra Champions League place next season as a result of you qualifying by winning the Champions League - ie You + Two from Denmark.

Actually reading your OP again I think you mean Denmark are still ranked 11th.

In which case Denmark have gained an extra Champions League place next season as a result of you qualifying by winning the Champions League - ie You + Two from Denmark.

Yes, so would I believe. But I've won the Champions League several times before with teams from Spain, Italy and England and never have the nation gained an extra Champions League spot. That's why it confuses me that Denmark suddenly got one extra.

Denmark have gained the extra CL spot because you won it last year, which means that you qualified as title holders, and there is still the two regular places left.

Not really a well-known rule since no country can enter more than 4 teams in any case, and most of the times the winner comes from one of those countries.

So nothing to do with coefficients.

Denmark have gained the extra CL spot because you won it last year, which means that you qualified as title holders, and there is still the two regular places left.

Not really a well-known rule since no country can enter more than 4 teams in any case, and most of the times the winner comes from one of those countries.

So nothing to do with coefficients.

Aha, but once I've seen a nation with 5 teams in the Champions League... How is that possible if 4 teams are max?

Only example I know of is when LIverpool won the CL a few years back (2005) and they hadn't qualified through the league. The were given dispensation by UEFA to enter the first qualiflying round, so in that year, there were five English teams in the CL. Subsequently, they changed the rules so that the title holder was always automatically qualified for the CL.

Today, the team finished 4th in the league will have to give up their place if the CL-winner failed to qualify through the league.

Some more random trivia on this: Technically, Liverpool didn't represent England, and were drawn in the same group as Chelsea. Only time two teams from the same nations met in the group phase.

More random trivia because I can't stop: Everton had qualified for the CL that year as they finished 4th in the league. If the current rules had been in place, Liverpool would have gotten that spot.

England got 5 teams the season after Liverpool won the champions League. That was because Liverpool finished 5th that season and hence they did not qualify but they got a spot as defending champions.

I think a nation gets 5 teams if the reigning champion is from a nation with 4 qualified teams and the reigning champion did not qualify to the champions league through league placement.

England got 5 teams the season after Liverpool won the champions League. That was because Liverpool finished 5th that season and hence they did not qualify but they got a spot as defending champions.

I think a nation gets 5 teams if the reigning champion is from a nation with 4 qualified teams and the reigning champion did not qualify to the champions league through league placement.

Not any more they dont. That was just for that year. It was a big oversight and it took something like that for it to be spotted.

Before Liverpool won the Champions League and came 5th in the Premier League in 2005, the winners were not given an automatic place in the next season's competition. This was assumably because UEFA expected a team that won the Champions League to be good enough to also qualify from their own nations league after all how can you be the best team in Europe but the 5th best team in England and even only the 2nd best team on Merseyside?!? After that the rules were changed so that the winners would automatically qualify but no nation could have more than 4 entrants. Obviously, if you manage in England then you won't get an extra slot but you will in a lesser ranked country. When I won the CL with Ajax, Holland was also given an extra slot in the competition.

The reason behind the Liverpool/Everton situation was that when it happened the FA insisted that they would only nominate the teams that finished 1st-4th to the following years CL, this left UEFA with a problem as they granted winners automatic entry but always assumed that national FA's would follow the gentleman's agreement to nominate holders ahead of the 4th place league side.

To save being embarrassed UEFA granted Liverpool a wild-card entry & then re-wrote the rules to ensure no nation can have more than 4 entrants & if that years winners finished lower than 4th they would automatically take the place of the team finishing 4th in the league

Archived