What counts as exciting football???

So, I've got two games, both with Watford, one is hoofball direct upto a big man up top and horribly aggresive. The second game is beautiful total football, yet on both the fans moan about 'despite the good results, unhappy at the less than exciting football being displayed'.

What more can they possibly want?

In FM, I think excitement is pretty much all to do with goals/number of chances created. So possession, slower-tempo games actually don't go down well with fans on FM, eventhough that is actually my own personal preference, and seems to be most football fans' preference these days.

I find in FM, attacking hoofball is what the fans respond to best. Think Aston Villa under MON, when they had Agbonlahor and Carew upfront with Milner and Young on the wings. To me they were utter pish to watch, but they had scorelines like 4-4 against both Chelsea and Spurs. And I think there was a season in which they had a total of 120 goals in their matches, which averages to over 3 goals a game, which is pretty ridiculous.

I saw something on my confidence screen the other day which I had never saw before (the bit in Capitals further down).

The board are delighted with your management of the team. The stature of the club with you at the helm has been a big factor.

THE FANS ARE ALSO DELIGHTED BY THE ENTERTAINING FOOTBALL THE TEAM IS PLAYING.

In FM, I think excitement is pretty much all to do with goals/number of chances created. So possession, slower-tempo games actually don't go down well with fans on FM, eventhough that is actually my own personal preference, and seems to be most football fans' preference these days.

I find in FM, attacking hoofball is what the fans respond to best. Think Aston Villa under MON, when they had Agbonlahor and Carew upfront with Milner and Young on the wings. To me they were utter pish to watch, but they had scorelines like 4-4 against both Chelsea and Spurs. And I think there was a season in which they had a total of 120 goals in their matches, which averages to over 3 goals a game, which is pretty ridiculous.

It does seem to make sense, at least from my experience. I almost always get applauded for "exciting football" by fans, and I do create tons, TONS of chances (like, over 20 shots per game minimum). But I don't play hoofball - I have fairly small strikers ahead of them. I have fast players with great technical skill who are told to always look for a pass up front. I play a high defensive line with the offside trap, I hit on the counters, I play as wide as possible, as quick as possible with no time wasting. A lot of roaming, tons of creative freedom, direct passing, the whole shebang. Of course, I also dominate possession, averaging about 60%, but I lose the ball a lot as well. Then defensively, I press very, very high up the pitch, and often defend the last third with only 6 players. It's gotten me results and has made the fans happy.

The game I had away as Grimsby against Lincoln last night!

Conceded own goal on 11 mins, conceded 2nd goal on 25 mins. (2-0 to home team)

Missed pen at 35 mins, scored on 45mins +1 (2-1 to home team)

Scored via opponent own goal on 55mins (2-2)

Opponents missed penalty on 72 mins

Scored on 78 mins (2-3)

Scored penalty on 85 mins (2-4)

Opponents score on 90+1 mins (3-4)

Fantastic match! Lots of own goals and missed penalties though...

I prefer direct, attacking, forward play with a few a passes as possible. I don't get the wa*k-fest for 100 passes to get to a goal. Zzzzzzz.

You can say "walk fest", I do agree, nobody makes any good runs with that style.

I am not sure but i would say that -your team's ball control overall- counts alot, and your attacking plays. In the editor you may find the attributes of your team's fans as well. some teams have less enthousiastic or loyal fans

edit:spelling:)

Archived