Dietmar Hamann Sacked... And Death to Grimsby

Last night while playing i noticed on a news item that Hamann had been sacked as manager of Stockport County in BSP. I clicked on the team and saw that the promotion contenders were in 6th place and 22 games gone and only about 6 points behind the leaders and plenty time to catch up (with my team somewhere in between i might add FYI.) Now thats not too unusual, maybe they are in a slump of poor form or something. Anyway i click continue and the monthly awards come up and ex manager Hamann is named manager of the month winning 5 out of 5 or something which is a bit funny.

There had been no previous news items saying he was under pressure or anything like that yet he was sacked for seemingly doing a good job. Whereas the Grimsby manager, who i am sick to death of hearing about btw and being asked about in press conferences every week if he should keep his job etc, he has not been sacked yet and they are down at the bottom somewhere. This bit is not really relevant i just wish they would stop asking me the same goddamn questions about him as if i care what happens, after saying they should keep him for the 4th time i have now resorted to just alternating and one week i say sack him and the next i say stick by him and they still wont leave me alone. I'm seriously considering going to his house and burning it down with him inside because i am that sick of him.

I agree this is strange but some boards have chairman with no patience

In real life Notts Forest sacked Billy Davies who:

a) saved them from relegation forst season in charge

b) reached championship play-offs next season

c) reached championship play-offs season after

davies got sacked, they bring in McBrolly who cant do anything and resigns then they bring in Steve cotterall.

Where are Forest now...bottom 3. It does happen irl.

All the same I'd log this in the bugs forum

davies got sacked, they bring in McBrolly who cant do anything and resigns then they bring in Steve cotterall.

To be fair, after reaching the play-offs the first time you would expect the club to make progress and get automatic promotion the next season (or at least via the play-offs). To reach - and lose - in the play-offs again doesn't show that the club has improved any. With hindsight you could say that it was a poor decision, but at the time? Seems reasonable enough (especially considering his relationship with the board).

Maybe Hamann was sacked for something unrelated to performance? Maybe applying elsewhere all the time?

Have however never seen any AI manager being sacked for something else than sporting failure so far IIRC, so I would be surprised...

The only thing I could imagine as another cause would be a takeover with the new chairman wanting a new manager. May it have been that?

I don't know enough to comment in detail but I suspect lack of investment prevent Davies from succeeding after previous successes. Mclaren was obviously promised things by the biard which were never given and Cotterill is currently struggling (check-out last nights game v Leicester). One could compare what Davies achieved and what has been achieved by subsequent manager's since

The point i'm making is not specific to Davies or Forests plight, simply comparing an in game activity with a real life similar scenario

It all depends on the boards. My first season at Sheff U we were down in 16th at christmas, my job was very insecure but there were never any ultimatums and I kept my job and eventually won the league after an insane winning streak.

Another time I was at QPR, was in 7th at christmas (dispite the season expectation being 'finish in playoffs' and got sacked.

But yeah it does happen in real life, Warnock was sacked despite being out of the relegation zone and Steve Kean still has a job

It all depends on the boards. My first season at Sheff U we were down in 16th at christmas, my job was very insecure but there were never any ultimatums and I kept my job and eventually won the league after an insane winning streak.

Another time I was at QPR, was in 7th at christmas (dispite the season expectation being 'finish in playoffs' and got sacked.

But yeah it does happen in real life, Warnock was sacked despite being out of the relegation zone and Steve Kean still has a job

Warnock & Kean - Yep 2 good points !

He left because he didn't have no money. He was continuously complaining during his spell as manager about the lack of funds. Granted he was right, but if you slag off your bosses then you will get let go of.

I would have him back like that though :(.

Maybe Hamann was sacked for something unrelated to performance? Maybe applying elsewhere all the time?

Have however never seen any AI manager being sacked for something else than sporting failure so far IIRC, so I would be surprised...

The only thing I could imagine as another cause would be a takeover with the new chairman wanting a new manager. May it have been that?

Nope no new chairman or anything else that i can see. Just seems like he's been sacked for no real reason.

you could be disappointed given that they play in Cleethorpes!

He may live in Grimsby, they are practically the same place tbh, u cnt tel wen u go from 1 into the othr, apart frm the "You are now leaving Grimsby, Good Idea!" sign

EDIT: Can you tell by my typing there that I am from Grimsby? Thankfully I made it out :)

Archived