When to hand over the torch

Basically I was curious as to what the general consensus is, in regard to giving young players a prolonged run in the team. I have 5 young players (17 or under) all with a 4-5 star rating who technically are very exciting, but mentally and physically have a way to go. Now I understand that first team time greatly benefits the mental development of players but when is the right time to get them in the first 11.

Take this player, one of my gems, Leandro Romero;

romeroq.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

His technical stats are awesome for his tender years and I think he will be a big star, but mentally should I rely on him to do the business in the first 11 or use him sporadically?

The big question I want to ask is when, in the development of a player, can I expect to see a real boost in the mental side of my youngsters, is it just a matter if waiting it out?

i usually put youth players in as subs when i'm up by 3 or more goals, and i start them in friendlies or early stage cup rounds

once they score their first goal (or get a match rating of 7.0+) i start playing them regularly in first team

stamina is another thing, i usually wait until they have 11+ stamina until they're "ready" for senior team action

lol that newgen's mental and physical attributes look like crap. Mental attributes are very hard to increase, especially teamwork and concentration. He'll never become world class. Your coaches are just fooling you. The best he can do is a good Primera Division player.

lol that newgen's mental and physical attributes look like crap. Mental attributes are very hard to increase, especially teamwork and concentration. He'll never become world class. Your coaches are just fooling you. The best he can do is a good Primera Division player.

bit harsh don't you think. balotelli/reus/podolski all have pretty low teamwork/concentration. if you want to up his mental, tutor him with senior players

bit harsh don't you think. balotelli/reus/podolski all have pretty low teamwork/concentration. if you want to up his mental, tutor him with senior players

Balotelli/reus/podolski make up their lack of good mentality with their physical superiority, especially in speed. I don't see how this newgen can increase all of his acceleration, agility, pace and stamina by 3-5 pts each. The only thing this kid good at is set piece. He can't finish, cross or create.

Balotelli/reus/podolski make up their lack of good mentality with their physical superiority, especially in speed. I don't see how this newgen can increase all of his acceleration, agility, pace and stamina by 3-5 pts each. The only thing this kid good at is set piece. He can't finish, cross or create.

If he's got the potential, he can easily increase his physical attributes significantly, and his mental attributes will certainly increase with age.

This guy seems more of a Riquelme type, and I'm sure he can become a good player, I'd focus on his composure and his pace and you'll have a very good player on your hands.

whether it helps you, i tend to play my most promising youngsters in cup games against weaker teams and i also stick a player in if ive got a really bad injury crisis in my team and have no other option

Agreed....

I recently had to play a 17 year old regen ST, due to injuries. He had quite decent run and coped well scored a few, plus didn't get injured. So all in all I would consider it a success.

I do envisage him as more of a Riquelme type and think he will be able to give me a few good years before turning in a nice profit. I am etting loads of highly rated who suffer from a weak mental starting position. I have started to give him regular sub appearences and cup/continental games.

Archived