Using save game data from FM2011 in FM2012

I was wondering if anyone has considered creating a utility to let players extract the data from an FM2011 save game and import into FM2012? Obviously it is possible to exam the data held in the save files since that's what FM Scout does, so surely it should then be possible to export that data to a save game file that FM2012 could open?

Why would it not be possible? Essentially what we're talking about is extracting information from one savegame, which is in a known format, carrying out some translation work then saving it in the new format. While there might be some requirement to interpolate any additional fields that are in the new game format, there doesn't seem (to me at least) to be any fundamental reason why this couldn't be accomplished. For example, the current version of FM Scout is able to open FM11 and FM12 savegames, so the additional functionality required would be saving the file in the new savegame format.

It's not possible due to changes in competition structures resulting in compatibility issues, there are 53 nations & God knows how many international tournaments which means that no two versions of FM are identical.

Now I'm sure that from a technical standpoint these obstacles could be overcome with enough investment, why would SI invest money in a feature that would only result in reduce sales of their latest game?

Now I'm sure that from a technical standpoint these obstacles could be overcome with enough investment, why would SI invest money in a feature that would only result in reduce sales of their latest game?

Reduce sales? Surely the only result of this would be the exact opposite, with people who were unwilling to get the new game due to them wanting to carry on with a save on a previous version now being able to carry on that save on the new game?

Reduce sales? Surely the only result of this would be the exact opposite, with people who were unwilling to get the new game due to them wanting to carry on with a save on a previous version now being able to carry on that save on the new game?

You're right, I was obviously having a blonde moment when I typed the second paragraph.

You're right, I was obviously having a blonde moment when I typed the second paragraph.

Haha, it happens to the best of us.

With regards to the topic: I'm certain that it would be possible, but if by now 20 years into its existence it's not yet been implemented, then SI must have their reasons for it.

I was wondering if anyone has considered creating a utility to let players extract the data from an FM2011 save game and import into FM2012? Obviously it is possible to exam the data held in the save files since that's what FM Scout does, so surely it should then be possible to export that data to a save game file that FM2012 could open?

It is possible, but you'd have to do the work by yourself to make it compatible. Now, whether you will devote your time on that is another matter, I guess.

Haha, it happens to the best of us.

With regards to the topic: I'm certain that it would be possible, but if by now 20 years into its existence it's not yet been implemented, then SI must have their reasons for it.

I'd imagine it is possible, but would involve a lot of work from SI and it would still be very buggy. So probably not worth them investing the time/resources into it.

I'd imagine it is possible, but would involve a lot of work from SI and it would still be very buggy. So probably not worth them investing the time/resources into it.

As the OP suggested, surely it's the sort of thing that a third party could make a utility for, as they have with FMRTE and FM Scout, etc?

Archived