Aiming for Auckland but missed by quite some way

AcidBurn

The Aim - Like the aim of most of my journeyman saves it is to win the biggest continental competition that each continent has to offer. I will be going about this task a bit slower than normal, on the past two FM's I have accomplished this by following the money and rushing from club to club especially rich ones. I plan to work my way up and take any jobs I think could be interesting rather than manage clubs I know it will be easier to win the continental trophy with.

Leagues Loaded - New Zealand, England and Brazil until I get a job.

Leagues Added In Game - Holland, MLS, A-League, Belgium, Argentina, Russia and Ukraine. I downloaded a load of leagues from this thread

Start of Game - At the start of the game I added myself with a semi-pro reputation and went on holiday applying at only top clubs in the hopes of landing a job in the New Zealand league. However things went a bit wrong and despite a low reputation I was offered and accepted the job at...........

Norwich_City_logo.jpg

Norwich City Info

championshipnorwichinfo.jpg

norwichrelegated.jpg

So it took two years and I was quite a few miles away from my intended destination. I have a regional reputation and the player do not listen during team talks and have no respect for me at all, something I will have to change. The year is 2013 and Norwich have been relegated from the EPL the season after they survived by 4 points. Although the side has some good players there is a lack of morale and a lack of creative skilful players with this in mind the media give us a very underrated expected position of 9th something I am sure I can beat.

Like I said the team is reasonably good with the top players being fast Canadian striker Simeon Jackson, who I plan to partner upfront with the injury prone but at times EPL class James Vaughan, with their pace I expect quite a few goals if they will listen to me that is. When I joined it was the 1st of June and I was given a budget of £13.25 million and a wage budget 200k a week more than the current wage bill. Once the season rolled around this was slashed to being 50k a week over the current wage budget and the transfer budget reduced to only £3.5 million. I took the expectation of a top half finish as any higher only granted 500k more transfer money and barely any more wage money.

The other players of note in the team were Chris Cohen a very good midfielder comfortable at DMC or MC. Matthew Connolly the former QPR defender who can play all across the back four but I prefer him at CB. Joe Mattock ex-Leicester fullback who looks great going forward and can defend a bit as well. John Ruddy a decent GK more than good enough for the Championship.

First Window Transfers

My first piece of business was to strengthen the central midfield area so I signed Jay Spearing from Liverpool for a bargain £1.1 million as well as Jack Colback from Sunderland for £1.3 million. A transfer was already in place for Roland Bergkamp and decent-ish looking striker unfortunately not 10 percent as good as Dennis. I loaned in a left winger Billy Knott from Sunderland and a right winger from Wolves Michael Knightly. The last signing was John Bostock as a back up midfielder on a free transfer.

This gave me the chance to play with wingers an idea that would soon be scrapped due to lack of back up on either side. Only Elliot Bennett able to naturally play on either wing was not enough. I like my current squad but I do plan to strengthen in January if the right players are available. With such a low reputation is is proving quite hard to bring in any decent players that would improve the squad outside of the ones I have signed.

norwichfriendlies.jpg

Only one defeat in the friendlies against Sheff United but flew through the easier teams. The strike force of Vaughan and Jackson seems to be gelling pretty well but I am not sure if they will keep it up in the real games.

The first and major point of this save game is to have fun, this community has really grown and although I do not comment much I do read a lot of threads on here. I loved the idea of this place when it first opened and I thought it was about time I contributed to it. I will be doing between 3 and 5 updates per season and hope to keep going for as long as possible introducing new leagues to my gaming world to achieve my main aim before settling in a lower reputation European league for a good 10 season plus, hopefully.

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Best of luck AcidBurn :thup:.

Looking forward to reading!!!

Good luck with Norwich :thup:

Cheers guys. I am looking forward to writing it.

Delia Smith, Stephen Fry... and now AcidBurn! Norwich really are a lucky club to be associated with such legends! :D

Good luck, but you should bounce straight back up!

lol, doubt they will consider me a legend when I fly off and sign for a team in the A-League or the MLS. I think we will be able to bounce straight back but Newcastle look a real threat still have a very good side.

As Gene Hunt would say, stupid but not illegal ;)

Everyone's career should be associated with a Gene Hunt quote!

Norwich_City_logo.jpg

championship13games.jpg

13matches.jpg

Not a bad start to the season two draws to start with and I thought things might be hard but a few very good wins saw us end up in third place after 13 matches. The 4-3 win over Reading was brilliant to watch they went 3-2 up in the 7th minute and things looked all over but Simeon Jackson scored twice in the 83rd and the 90+2nd minute to give us a huge win. The back to back losses against Huddersfield and then Nottingham Forest at home were not good and we played awful. Then out of nowhere we smashed one of the promotion favourites 6-1 in their own backyard.

I was annoyed that we limped out of the League Cup with a poor performance against League One team Oldham. However overall a good start to the season if we can string some wins together then we can easily push for an automatic promotions place.

The board annoy me as we were given a £16 million parachute payment following relegation, this took the bank balance to £28 million yet our budget is only around £1 million. I do however expect them to raise it later in the season. Hopefully in time for the January transfer window, I have a few targets in mind mainly another striker to ease the pressure off Simeon Jackson who is a goal scoring machine at the moment.

I'm still stunned you got the Norwich job! Good luck though!

Thanks I was as well, I set it to holiday while I was on the internet and when I clicked back it had stopped. I was planning who to bring to my New Zealand based team and was shocked it said Norwich. It is quite hard no one wants to join and these idiot players won't listen to me, they keep getting upset during team talks lol.

I wouldn't call it a bug but to give a job like that to a regional reputation manager is a bit weird.

You'll get the hang of it eventually. Even I managed to get teams defending occasionally.

Been the same since FM11. Won the league and Champions League with Sunderland but always concede an average of at least a goal a game.

Norwich_City_logo.jpg

championship23games.jpg

next10.jpg

Started the month well with James Vaughan on fire scoring 7 goals in 4 games trouble is his brace against Burnley counted for nothing as we lost 4-3. The 3-0 beating Stoke City gave us was a wake up call and I think I really need a couple of players in the January transfer window. We got over those defeats and have not lost in 6 matches but 3 draws is not good enough for me especially the one at home against Middlesboro. The 5-3 smashing of Leicester should have been easier than it was and we should have had 7 or 8 goals if we took our chances. Simeon Jackson the fast Canadian hitman is averaging around a goal a game but the odd injury here and there to James Vaughan is quite annoying. We could do with some more goals from midfield out of all the goals scored over these 10 games only 3 came from the midfield.

Bit disappointing to drop to fourth but the league is very close a couple of wins and we are in the automatic promotion place a couple of losses and we are out of the play-off's. Should be an exciting run in and I have confidence that Bueno can fire in the goals needed to help us challenge at the very top of the Championship.

First Major Transfer Arriving January the First

buenog.jpg

Bueno will soon be here to cover James Vaughans injuries and probably take his place in the first team. I think £2.1 million is a decent price for the player he has 15 plus in most attributes needed to be a goal scorer and he is way above what is needed to score goals in the Championship.

Checking the transfer list it looks like Barry Bannan is a realistic target for the club but would cost £2.6 million. Luckily for me the board raised the transfer budget to £5 million so I will try to get Bannan in January. Also listed for loan in Nicky Maynard a player I follow in real life after watching him score plenty of goals for Crewe he is a striker and one I would like to have for my team.

I use classic tactics.

I can't believe I didn't know that was an option, do you know if this was also available in FM11? I have no need for it myself as I enjoy the new style but I have a friend who flat out refuses to play the new FM's because of the changes to the old style tactics screen.

Nice thread by the way, i'll be following with interest :)

Bueno will be a huge addition - I think he will be the catalyst to push you to one one of those top two spots!
Going well at the half way point.Bueno should be able to do the business for you.

He will score quite a few how can he not with those attributes.

same here i always convert to classic makes it so much easier. Great to finally seen an AB and Crouchie thread appearing

Thanks, thought you would like it lol.

But Poachers in the prem <3 (or Champ, soon-to-be-prem)

I guess his settings make him close to being a poacher if that helps.

You're 4th in the league and still moaning about players not listening to you :D

Great read so far AB :thup:

Cheers, if they actually listened to me I would be top lol.

I can't believe I didn't know that was an option, do you know if this was also available in FM11? I have no need for it myself as I enjoy the new style but I have a friend who flat out refuses to play the new FM's because of the changes to the old style tactics screen.

Nice thread by the way, i'll be following with interest :)

It has always been in FM, you make the tactic in the TC then you convert it to classic. Once that is done you can mess around with the sliders just like old times.

It has always been in FM, you make the tactic in the TC then you convert it to classic. Once that is done you can mess around with the sliders just like old times.

Okay thanks, i'll be having a look later. Totally amazed that i've never really noticed it before.

Norwich_City_logo.jpg

January Transfer Signings

norwichblake.jpg

I decided to loan in another CB to give the current pairing a rest now and again and just help in case of injuries. Blake seemed to fit the bill not a great player by any means but a loan of 120k will do for now, I am sure I can sign better if/when I make it to the EPL.

norwichmaynard.jpg

Another loan signing costing a bit more to bring in at 250k but should be worth it. I am currently playing with a front three of Bueno, Vaughan and Simeon Jackson but Vaughan is injury prone so I need another striker, if Maynard does well then I will purchase him in the summer as he is transfer listed for £2.6 million. I like Maynard in real life after seeing him grow as a player at Crewe and then be sold on to Bristol City for a decent amount of money, so my real life preferences have slightly influenced this signing although I have had him on FM and scored a load of goals in the Championship.

norwichbannan.jpg

My favourite signing so far, I really rate Bannan on FM. He will give us the creative spark that we sometimes miss in the bigger games. At times we struggle to break teams down and unless one of the front three does something then it can be hard for us to create chances so hopefully Bannan's passing ability will see a few more through balls from midfield.

Norwich_City_logo.jpg

championship32games.jpg

32gamesfixtures.jpg

A brilliant month as we took top position by a single goal, being a Sunderland fan in real life the home loss to Newcastle was even more annoying then if I lost against any other team. Six goals in five games from Simeon Jackson was great stuff but once Bueno arrived he overshadowed everyone scoring a hat trick in each of his first two games. Then a brace in each of the next two meaning he got 10 goals in his first four games. From then on he linked well as the middle striker in the front three with Jackson and Maynard adding a fair few goals themselves. Each goal counted to put us top and it is just so annoying we could not win at home against our main title rivals.

The FA Cup was also a great distraction from the league. Starting with a big win over lower league competition and the debut of Bueno after that we easily dispatched the two Welsh teams Swansea and Cardiff with convincing wins. We can now look forward to a 6th round home clash with Bristol City giving us a real chance of getting to the semi-finals.

So to sum it all up a great period of form and I think automatic promotion should be easy enough but I do believe that Newcastle will provide a huge challenge for top spot. The FA Cup also excites me the other matches are.

Man United Vs Newcastle

Spurs Vs Arsenal

Blackburn Vs Watford

If we can get past Bristol City then we would have to hope for a draw against the winners of Blackburn Vs Watford.

Norwich_City_logo.jpg

finalchamp.jpg

finalfixtures.jpg

First off we have bagged promotion to the EPL at the first time of asking which was always the aim for a club like this. Six points clear of Birmingham but we could not catch Newcastle who didn't really lose that much towards the end of the season. After our defeat against Birmingham the gap was closed to only three points and we even dropped to third after a thrashing handed to us by bottom club Preston 6-3. In the end Birmingham slipped up losing once and then losing again on the last day. The three wins in a row at the end sealed our promotion.

We had some great wins and I am not sure if I should feel sorry for Swansea as they were pretty much our whipping boys all season this time putting seven past them for a great win. We also beat Bristol City in the FA Cup to seal a semi-final match against Premier League side Blackburn which I will talk about in my next post.

Bristol City got revenge against us by injuring Bueno making sure he would not feature again that season which is a big loss for us.

finalbest11.jpg

What can I say James Vaughan, Bueno and Jackson were simply too much for teams to handle and made up for the poor defence by outscoring most opposition. I played with a flat three in midfield but tried to move one of them to DMC to help defend but as you can see from the league goals conceded it did not really work. Nicky Maynard was great at covering if any of the main three were injured which happened quite a bit. A return of 26 goals in 20 matches from Bueno saw him be my favourite player but the fans decided that Simeon Jacksons 38 goals in 46 games was better and he was named fans player of the year. I was impressed with Chris Cohen and his rating doesn't really show how important he was the the team, also Bradley Johnson was unlucky not to make the best 11 he scored a few real screamers from distance and was generally a good solid player.

The FA Cup Semi-Final

finalsemilineup.jpg

[video=youtube;escQdMDC-yE]

finalsemistats.jpg

Easily the best win of my career, video can be changed to 480p by the way. The stats show we held our own and the clear cut chances created by us was obviously far better than them and we took the chances to book a place in the FA Cup Final. Everyone played well and we could have won by a couple more but 3-0 is a brilliant victory. The best news is that win or lose in the Final against the mighty Manchester United we will be in the Europa League next season due to Man Utd having qualified for the Champions League. So either way we can go on a European adventure next season.

So I guess that just leaves the FA Cup Final to post about.......................

Archived