Problem with Throw-Ins

I'm having a real problem with throw-ins and it's starting to really annoy me. I've set my throw-in preference to "short" and have two players set to "come short". 9 times out of 10 the throw-in taker will still throw the ball long and aimlessly, almost always giving possession away. now, I've set my throw-ins to "short" precisely because i don't want to lose possession.

Once I'd noticed this trend I did some experimentation with my settings to see if i could figure it out. I am not using a throw-in taker with good "long throw" attributes so I'm assuming that it isn't the individual throw-in takers settings overriding my own instructions. I tried setting the other 9 out-field players to "come-short" and the throw-ins still predominantly went long (not long as in Rory Delap, but still not "short" if you know what I mean). I tried changing the throw-in settings to "quick" and it didn't seem to change my throw-in pattern much, still lost a lot of possession and still predominantly resulted in an aimless lob of the ball up the pitch.

The only other thing i can think is that i am playing a very direct style of play/passing - is this overriding my short throw in preference and resulting in a "direct" throw rather than a "short" throw? If this is the case this seems crazy as it means your preferred style of play will override your set-piece preferences - i may want to play a direct passing game but i still want to keep possession from throw-ins.

Has anyone else experienced what I'm experiencing, does anyone have any thoughts, or most importantly any solutions?

The only other thing i can think is that i am playing a very direct style of play/passing - is this overriding my short throw in preference and resulting in a "direct" throw rather than a "short" throw? If this is the case this seems crazy as it means your preferred style of play will override your set-piece preferences - i may want to play a direct passing game but i still want to keep possession from throw-ins.

This could be a possibility.

I would also look at mentality, high mentality means a player looks to pass forwards rather than square or backwards much more often. So team mentality such as control or attacking and individual mentality attacking rather than support or defend.

I suspect you might find it makes no difference though and its just the way the ME is coded.

Archived