Attribute dropping after injury WAY too harsh!

I'm sure this has been brought up before, but now this has affected me too badly I have to being this up.

I find the attribute drop for injured players to be insane. After one long term injury, they lose a level as a player. For young developing players, they lose 1 CA point that they recently gained every time they get injured, even though it's just a two week thigh strain. Not so bad for young players, but the older guys never regain their stats and now I hate them and want to sell them all.

This is completely unrealistic. If abilities are to be affected by injuries, it should be done properly right. If real life Van Persie is in the FM world, he will no longer be in the Arsenal squad. Tom Cleverly would be equivalent to trash now for Man Utd.

This is not how it works in real life. Players do not suddenly lose their technical skills and mental strength due to a foot niggle. Fat Ronaldo has consecutive knee injuries that gave him a 2 year layoff. While it's true that he didn't regain his pace and acceleration to his full extent, he didn't lose an ounce of skill and added strength to his game and was still world class. in this FM game he would be ruined after a 2 year layoff.

So we should have a separate injury model for players to reflect temporary stat drops due to injury, and have a detailed one at that for a stat drop that is relevant to their respective injuries. This should be quickly recoverable too. Don't just butcher the players CA and expect them to train back to their previous ability like an 18 year old player developing.

Well I guess this could be a good thing. With the school term started I really have no time to play FM and shouldn't be coming do this forum. I guess this bug has done it for me for now and I shall stop playing from now on.

I think the real problem here is that FM limits all of player's development after age 23-25, hence players have no way to redevelop their game after a long layoff, like in Ronaldo's case you mentioned. CA does increase after 25, but it's very small. A true simulation and solution would be to keep the rate of CA increase relatively constant throughout a player's career, while distributing the CA increase based on his age, so a player can still improve on his technical and mental attributes after long-term injuries and old age. As the way the game is right now, it is impossible to redevelop a player like Ryan Giggs from a pacy winger to a creative center midfielder.

Gotta say that I agree that mental and technical attributes drop way too much. I can understand physical ones taking a nose dive during a long term injury, but players seem to just forget how to play football during a long lay-off in FM12. Getting an older player back to where they were is almost impossible. Any six-month plus injury for a player over 24 is usually the end of their career at whatever level they were at.

Career-ending injuries should happen in FM. I don't think they should lose CA like they do now, though. As said above, players above 24 gain very little CA. Rather, the CA should remain where it is but a "Injury-CA" should overwrite it, simulating a CA drop that increases at a high rate if the player is match fit and works well in training. This way, only injury-prone or very unlucky players will have their careers end, not because their CA dropped but because the "Injury-CA" won't increase as long as he is injured or not match fit.

As it is now, one injury can be all it takes, while this is rare in real life. What happens much more often is a series of recurring injuries over years.

No one is saying that career-ending injuries shouldn't happen, but right now the game does not simulate that at all. It will be way easier to program an injury that the player never recovers from and retires from it then to program the current mess it is now which is seemingly impossible for SI to balance so why not keep it simple?

Career-ending injuries should happen in FM. I don't think they should lose CA like they do now, though. As said above, players above 24 gain very little CA. Rather, the CA should remain where it is but a "Injury-CA" should overwrite it, simulating a CA drop that increases at a high rate if the player is match fit and works well in training. This way, only injury-prone or very unlucky players will have their careers end, not because their CA dropped but because the "Injury-CA" won't increase as long as he is injured or not match fit.

As it is now, one injury can be all it takes, while this is rare in real life. What happens much more often is a series of recurring injuries over years.

i think the CA should drop, as opposed to having an 'injury-ca', but the game should be able to tell that the CA is 'artifically' lower due to injury, and readjust itself back - or nearer to its previous high - through training and matches after the injury is over.

of course, some players never reach the heights of their pre-injury state so it should never be a given that they will in FM.

Kind of in the same vein of losing technical/mental stats from injuries, I find it highly amusing when the physical attributes drop don't make sense with the type of injury. Had two players on my team that lost a point of acceleration and pace for 2-4 week injuries, fractured cheekbone and a sprained elbow. I wasn't aware that my players were running using their elbows and face :lol:

Kind of in the same vein of losing technical/mental stats from injuries, I find it highly amusing when the physical attributes drop don't make sense with the type of injury. Had two players on my team that lost a point of acceleration and pace for 2-4 week injuries, fractured cheekbone and a sprained elbow. I wasn't aware that my players were running using their elbows and face :lol:

No wonder they got injured running with their faces and elbows, that just adds an extra layer of realism to the game.

Nah but really, if youre going to have a realistic drop in player attributes post injury you have to give them the ability to recover those points if they have the proper training/mental attributes. If youre goign to make atts plummet you have to distinguish between getting back the CA/atts that they have lost and the usual rate of development of older players

Fantastic point! I totally agree, techincal and mental stats should not really change. Obviously it depends on the injury, however physical stats like stamina, pace and acceleration are definites to decrease during a long-term injury though.

the worse i've seen was when chiellini got injured for (only) 1/2 a season

he was shot down to ~120 CA by the time he was "fit". not sure what his CA was before, but i'm sure he'll never recover. his CA is 127 right now at age 29. his PA is "166". career destroyed

juve transfer listed him with a asking fee of €1.2m. i dislike juve, but this is a travesty. 6 month injury turns an established international into a 30-40 CA deduction

I think the real problem here is that FM limits all of player's development after age 23-25,

Bingo. Physical attributes I can understand...a 28 y.o. isn't going to gain two points of speed over a season (without intensive training, at the cost of other training) but there's no reason a player suddenly becomes "dumb" and incapable of learning the technical side of the game as quickly as he did in his youth.

• 2 months later...

Happens too much. I had Carlton Cole out for 3 months with a broken ankle and was then told after being back for a while that he was on the decline as a footballer at 27. Adam Johnson was out for 2 months with a hamstring and was told the same. Both have been useless since. Wouldn't mind so much if it is actually put forward as a career threatening injury but you certainly should be able to come back from a bad hamstring without any long term effects unless it is an ongoing issue and again it would be nice to be told.

I think the real problem here is that FM limits all of player's development after age 23-25, hence players have no way to redevelop their game after a long layoff, like in Ronaldo's case you mentioned. CA does increase after 25, but it's very small. A true simulation and solution would be to keep the rate of CA increase relatively constant throughout a player's career, while distributing the CA increase based on his age, so a player can still improve on his technical and mental attributes after long-term injuries and old age. As the way the game is right now, it is impossible to redevelop a player like Ryan Giggs from a pacy winger to a creative center midfielder.

excellent idea

Archived