Updated and died

Here am I, a long-term, regular player of FM and contributor to the forums. I thought I was clever in putting Steam off-line and playing my 12.0 save happily for months now. For some irrational reason I decided that now was the time to update to 12.1 so went online and applied the patch.

Steam deleted the icon to fire up FM and filled my FM2012 folder with 30 STEAMSTART files. No idea what they are but the effect is I can't boot up my game. I followed instructions in the FAQ thread to rename the 'blob' file and close/reopen Steam. To no avail - "game is currently unavailable".

Thanks. For that. :mad:

Ah, update:

After jumping through a dozen hoops, verifying cache seems to have done the trick. I'm confused by the instructions on that:

[h=4]Verify integrity of game cache[/h]

1. Load Steam
  2. From the Library section, right-click on the game and select Properties from the menu.
  3. Select the Local files tab and click the Verify integrity of game cache... button.
  4. Steam will verify the game's files - this process may take several minutes.
  5. Once the process is completed, the Check Window will automatically exit.

[h=4]Re-extract the Game Files for Valve games[/h] [h=3]Important:[/h] This portion is only valid for Valve games stored in a specific user folder such as the Half-Life series, Orange Box, and Counter-Strike.

Once you have verified the integrity of your game cache files, you can make sure that your extracted game files are correct by navigating to your Steam user directory: ..\Steam\steamapps\[uSER NAME]\ and either renaming or deleting your game folder.

Note: If you are playing a Singleplayer game and wish to keep your saved games, rename the game directory.

The next time you run the game, it will re-extract the files from your game cache files. If you wish to restore your saved games, copy the SAVE folder from your old game directory to your new one.

Do I stop at instruction 5, or do I have to do the re-extract stuff?

Still regret updating though - NEVER will I go online with Steam again for FM12 - keep your future updates, thanks :thdn:

Archived