thats what they call realistic... I want my money back!!!

not only once, it happens so often, I could really cry, that Ive spent almost 30 pounds on such a ridiculously rigged game... taking me hours to create tactics and then getting beaten so often in these kind of games makes me just frustrating and I have the feeling, that someone is kidding me...

everyone was complaining about too many goals from set pieces, especially from corners. almost in every tactic, which was uploaded in this forum, the center backs finished the season with at least 20 goals. so what did SI do??? right, they didnt fixed this ****** problem, instead make the AI even much stronger from set pieces. Ive created 5 ccc, dominated the opposition, they had 10 shots from distance and 2 of their 3 goals coming from corners and one from an absurd own goal. it really takes the joy out of me. since the new patch, I never managed to score more goals from corners in a season then the opposition, because I am using mixed settings. do I really need to exploit the match engine and the game in general in order to have success and fun??? what does SI want us to do?

granadaaway.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't agree that you dominated the game at all, but that's a side issue.

I do agree that SI's temporary fix to the corner issue was to increase the AI's ability to exploit it (and reduce accuracy of delivery) isn't the greatest solution, but I presume a proper fix needs much more extensive code that will come about with the next engine change. If you do feel the need to exploit it to remain competitive with the AI, instead of putting a tall CB at the near post why not put somebody shorter with lower jumping and heading attributes? That way you'll still get some goals from the method, but not silly amounts.

You do not need to exploit the corner routine to have fun with the game there are thousands of people who have a lot of success without using it. If the match stats were the other way round I highly doubt you would have posted, people only remember when these things go against them.

I wouldn't agree that you dominated the game at all, but that's a side issue.

I do agree that SI's temporary fix to the corner issue was to increase the AI's ability to exploit it (and reduce accuracy of delivery) isn't the greatest solution, but I presume a proper fix needs much more extensive code that will come about with the next engine change. If you do feel the need to exploit it to remain competitive with the AI, instead of putting a tall CB at the near post why not put somebody shorter with lower jumping and heading attributes? That way you'll still get some goals from the method, but not silly amounts.

mate, I am playing away with betis, Ive had more possession, Ive had more shots on target, Ive had more ccc and half chances, Ive produced 12 corners, while the AI had just 3 and they still scored twice and the worst thing about it is, that uche was the man, who beat my tall defenders xD

I hate using corner esploit, so I dont want to do it, but SI unfortunately doesnt let us other choices. on the one hand, they tell us something abot realism, trying to show rl statistics for things, which we complain about, but on the other hand, they indirectly want us to take advantages of the weaknesses of the ME.

it is most likely your tactics.

then again football is a game in which luck is involved sometimes.

if you cannot accept that as a reason for your loss, just give back the game , get your 30 bucks and buy the EA one if you like to win every game.

:)

mate, I am playing away with betis, Ive had more possession, Ive had more shots on target, Ive had more ccc and half chances, Ive produced 12 corners, while the AI had just 3 and they still scored twice and the worst thing about it is, that uche was the man, who beat my tall defenders xD

I hate using corner esploit, so I dont want to do it, but SI unfortunately doesnt let us other choices. on the one hand, they tell us something abot realism, trying to show rl statistics for things, which we complain about, but on the other hand, they indirectly want us to take advantages of the weaknesses of the ME.

How do they indirectly want you to use it? You really think the only way to win is to use the corner exploit?

You do not need to exploit the corner routine to have fun with the game there are thousands of people who have a lot of success without using it. If the match stats were the other way round I highly doubt you would have posted, people only remember when these things go against them.

hey, there we go. a typical SI member/mod, trying to get rid of criticism without constructive advices... yeah, how many times did we hear that " its your tactics, you didnt really dominate the game, irl statistics have proven us right and so on..." why cant you guys just admit, that there is something going wrong with this game? is it really so difficult? you kinda remember me the fifa manager mods and support, who behaved exactly like that, when people complained about several bugs and other things, which werent well developed.

How do they indirectly want you to use it? You really think the only way to win is to use the corner exploit?

exactly. if Ive the feeling, that 5 ccc arent clear enough to win against a team like granada, then I might be thinking, that ccc arent worth anything in this game, I should rather focus on corners.

51%-49% possession is virtually equal whilst the opposition had more shots. The only area you can claim to dominate is that you created better chances but looking at the overall picture you still deserved to have won or at least drawn. However chances, stats etc don't win points in football, goals do and this time they scored more than you.

It happens in real life all the time, if you can't accept that then I would suggest that FM is not the game for you.

You amuse me just because I am a mod doesn't mean I bow down to SI and ignore anything wrong with the game. There are several issues with FM12 but this is not one of them. You created a lot of chances and lost big deal get over it. I played Chelsea with Sunderland on the demo, they created 6 clear cut chances and hit the woodwork 6 times I created one chance and won. You would not be posting if the stats were the other way round. If it annoys you so much then you obviously have no joy playing FM so don't play it.

Sounds like a serious overreaction. Yeah you had more efforts on target, more corners etc, but since when did that mean anything in real life, let alone on a computer game (sometimes I think people forget this is a computer game, not real life, and take it far too seriously). Maybe you ought to change how you defend set pieces. Maybe you ought to change who goes where on your attacking corners. There's no point just coming out and swearing and moaning and blaming SI. Saying the game is rigged is just stupid, if I'm being honest. No offence, but it is.

Sounds like Liverpool away to Man City in the league a couple of weeks ago, and we still got 3-0.

Pram empty, toys everywhere.

You didn't dominate the game, you just edged possession and while you may have had more clear cut chances, how clear cut were they? I think the game needs some work on how it determines what makes a CCC but you are going way overbaord on what is one slightly unlucky result.

I wonder if Kenny Dalglish would be demanding his money after the season Liverpool have had IRL. So many games they have dominated teams yet only drawn or even lost.

Bottom line is this; Sometimes it isn't your day, that's football, so pick yourself up and move onto the next game.

The human mind is very funny!

Case 1) Human player managing a really small team and beat a really big team

Conclusion:

i'm a great manager! I create a fantastic tactic! Yeah... i'm good!

Case 2) Human player managing a really big team and is beat by a really small team

conclusion:

The game is stupid!

Here is the thing with those losses described by el magico and why they feel like the game is cheating.

The first thing is nearly all losses come from these upsets and while they happen in real football as well they aren't the only source of losses for teams not even the favorites.

The second thing is that all these losses come from absolutely weird goals. Either corners where a 5,6 player with heading 6 gets to the ball before everyone else. Your defenders even while being closer to the ball conveniently move away from the ball to let the opposition striker get there first. A midfielder with long shots rating of 10 scores a screamer from 40 meters away while shooting right through your keeper and so on.

And while we all know that mistakes happen in real life they are far from being the only source of a loss for teams. This holds even true for the big teams in the league even they meet teams every now and then that play better then them and win but those situations are almost non existent.

If your team reaches a certain point where you are favorite in every game home and away these upsets become the only source of loss in my games and this is annoying as hell.

Why not make it in a way that your team has trouble getting into their usual game every now and then and the opponents having a really good day giving you loads of trouble and battle to a well deserved victory?

I know even then people would complain "how unrealistic my team is mucho better, we should dominate easily" but I think to me it would feel much less like being cheated if every now and then a team beat me because of an epic effort and scored some well played goals instead of wonder goals, near corner bug abuse goals and goals due to weird behavior of my players.

I don't know how easy it is to change this part of the game or if it's even possible but I think it would do the realism of this game a lot of good if not 95% of the losses for big teams actually all came from these "upsets".

P.S. Everyone saying he didn't dominate those games have a look again at the stats. The opponents had 10 of the 14 shots from long range, no CCC and still scored 3 goals compared to his 1 long shots from 11 and 5 CCCs and only scoring 1 goal. If you claim he didn't dominate the game because the opposition had more overall shots you're making it too simple.

hey, there we go. a typical SI member/mod, trying to get rid of criticism without constructive advices... yeah, how many times did we hear that " its your tactics, you didnt really dominate the game, irl statistics have proven us right and so on..." why cant you guys just admit, that there is something going wrong with this game? is it really so difficult? you kinda remember me the fifa manager mods and support, who behaved exactly like that, when people complained about several bugs and other things, which werent well developed.

Just checked your age 22yo says it all..fifa mods now fm mods, every one to blame but yourself...modern society and kids...must win no matter what sigh! Never mind you will grow up and see reality is a strange fish :)

Why not make it in a way that your team has trouble getting into their usual game every now and then and the opponents having a really good day giving you loads of trouble and battle to a well deserved victory?

This already is the case in my games where I lose to teams significantly smaller than me. I generally anticipate my team's performances to vary from week to week, and the oppositions as well. Sometimes they meet me on a high when I'm on a low. It happens.

I haven't seen any of the other behaviour you describe - where the upset goals are all 'fluke' goals - and I might add, you probably don't see those same goals as flukes when your own players score them. I distinctly have the impression that there's a massive confirmation bias in the minds of those who really think the game is rigged against them, because in the twenty or so seasons I've played of FM2012 across the various patches, using pretty stock-standard tactics and formations, I've never got that impression, ever.

Here is the thing with those losses described by el magico and why they feel like the game is cheating.

The first thing is nearly all losses come from these upsets and while they happen in real football as well they aren't the only source of losses for teams not even the favorites.

I can't believe that, it just seems that way because of the threads that get created on the forum where users use such examples.

The second thing is that all these losses come from absolutely weird goals. Either corners where a 5,6 player with heading 6 gets to the ball before everyone else. Your defenders even while being closer to the ball conveniently move away from the ball to let the opposition striker get there first. A midfielder with long shots rating of 10 scores a screamer from 40 meters away while shooting right through your keeper and so on.

I didn't realise that a 5'6" player couldn't run....for the record I'm 5'7" and I scored plenty from freekicks and corners, height isn't everything!

Your defenders point is simply a 3d/graphical issue, the defenders didn't "let" the ST get there first the ME calculated the ST got there first.

As for the shooting, if LS of 10 means they can never score I would stop playing the game.

And while we all know that mistakes happen in real life they are far from being the only source of a loss for teams. This holds even true for the big teams in the league even they meet teams every now and then that play better then them and win but those situations are almost non existent.

If your team reaches a certain point where you are favorite in every game home and away these upsets become the only source of loss in my games and this is annoying as hell.

Strange, I get plenty of matches in my saves where the opposition battle to a hard earned win and I get matches where my team don't always perform.

I wouldn't agree that you dominated the game at all, but that's a side issue..

Betis dominated the game completely (I assume he is Betis).

This is how you calculate chance domination in FM:

Shots at goal + CCC - long shots

So the real chance creation of Granada was -6 Chance Weighting. That's extremely poor. They were more than chanceless, so to speak.

Betis ended with +10 Chance Weighting, which is quite strong. 1 goal from this is extremely poor, though.

... to call this a "bug" is uncalled for even though the rant itself is called for. Games like this happens all the time in RL, so it makes sense that SI tries to recreate it in FM. Sadly, thanks to the lack of team defending making teams extremely vulnerable to fast strikers running onto through balls, the way people lose games like this is repeatedly blowing extreme amounts of chances that would have been goals much more often in real life than in FM. As such, the current ME like all before it fails at balancing the type of chances becoming goals. This has become sort of the FM trademark.

The clue to avoiding these kinds of situations is to get rid of the "more chances = more goals" paradigm.

When that is said, Shots/On Target/CCC/Long Shots of 11/6/5/1 is not a typical statistic of a tactic that struggles when the opponent defends deep and narrow and that is tweaked to create the maximum amount of chances.

I can't believe that, it just seems that way because of the threads that get created on the forum where users use such examples.

I didn't realise that a 5'6" player couldn't run....for the record I'm 5'7" and I scored plenty from freekicks and corners, height isn't everything!

Sure a small player can get to the ball if he is good at heading or just lucky everyone ignores them but it wasn't really my point. Obviously it wasn't clear enough.

Again I don't mind if a crazy goal happens now and then but they are usually the only goals that get scored against my team I really need to make a compilation of those goals if I find the time for it one of these days.

Your defenders point is simply a 3d/graphical issue, the defenders didn't "let" the ST get there first the ME calculated the ST got there first.

Might be true that it's just a display bug but the point remains it looks like the game did it "intentionally" to make the other team score. That's the point where people will get the idea "the game is rigid" so if this is really a 3D game display bug please fix it.

As for the shooting, if LS of 10 means they can never score I would stop playing the game.
Sure a player that usually never scores a goal and is ***** at shooting might get a goal like this against you that's not where my problem lies. I added these things towards the stuff dodgy goals stuff since it adds to the impression of a "rigid game" especially if the shots seam to fly right through your goalkeeper but nothing about a mistake by your goalkeeper gets mentioned anywhere.

It's not the matter of me complaining that these things never happen. Everyone who watches football regularly and more then one game per week can see a few crazy goals every now and then.

Strange, I get plenty of matches in my saves where the opposition battle to a hard earned win and I get matches where my team don't always perform.

Might I ask what team and what league you play?

In my Dortmund save, the only team that I'm not favorite against is Bayern, it's like this: 24 games, 19 wins, 3 draws, 2 lost. One draw was against Bayern where I for a change was the lucky team to get the equalizer very late in the game. All other draws and losses I was the dominant team most of them by a large margin.

Maybe the competition in the BL is really bad but the only close "battles" I had this season where either in the CL against equally strong opponents or against Bayern and Schalke even though I won both games against Schalke.

I mean it's not even that the game is going bad for me I won the Bundesliga 2 out of 3 seasons and the CL last year with a squad averaging 23,4 years so nothing to complain about really.

It's also not game breaking for me that these upsets happen every now and then, it's just that I never experience close encounters against weaker teams and if they get something out of the games against me it's due to a "upset" due to some "dodgy" stu

You have a wrong perception of the ME. According to PaulC, what you see on your screen is exactly what the ME is calculating. There are no pre-determined outcomes i.e ME picking a winner of a 50-50 challenge and then choosing an animation to display it, or things to that effect. When you see a defender move away from the ball then it's a ME glitch - an issue with the players closing down trigger most likely.

Just checked your age 22yo says it all..fifa mods now fm mods, every one to blame but yourself...modern society and kids...must win no matter what sigh! Never mind you will grow up and see reality is a strange fish :)

who is never going to grow up is you! just learn how to lead an argumentation. theres no reason for being personal and offending other users. I didnt offend anyone and just complained about the game. maybe was a bit harsh, but still havent become personal like you. if you dont like these threads, then dont visit them! Ive reported your post and hope, SI shows some signs. I mean it shouldnt be tolerated, that people start to offend each other.

The clue to avoiding these kinds of situations is to get rid of the "more chances = more goals" paradigm.

Hmm that's quite interesting any idea how you would go to create less chances but with a better conversion rate? My approach lately has been to go for more possession based game trying to patiently draw out the opponents and only let my players take very good chances for a decisive pass. The problem is I fail to do this I still end up the game with 15-30 shots on goal while only having 1 or 2 long range shots.

The human mind is very funny!

Case 1) Human player managing a really small team and beat a really big team

Conclusion:

i'm a great manager! I create a fantastic tactic! Yeah... i'm good!

Case 2) Human player managing a really big team and is beat by a really small team

conclusion:

The game is stupid!

Agreed lol!

Hmm that's quite interesting any idea how you would go to create less chances but with a better conversion rate? My approach lately has been to go for more possession based game trying to patiently draw out the opponents and only let my players take very good chances for a decisive pass. The problem is I fail to do this I still end up the game with 15-30 shots on goal while only having 1 or 2 long range shots.

It could be you play too narrowly so that the chances you create are actually quite pressured or rushed even though the animations don't really show you that. The strikers can also have a too high attacking mentality so that they are too desperate.

The attacking players being told to run forwards often also leads to them often making that run into the box too early, breaking the rhythm of the attack. Instead of eyeing the ball when watching highlights, pay attention to what the other guys do. If they find themselves in offside, no pass being made, then turns back while the guy in possession needs to figure out what to do with the ball, not only is that easy to defend against but you're also in danger of being countered upon!

Having a shot every five minutes is hardly a patient possession game.

Short passing, slow pace, not too aggressive. I like 4-2-3-1 for this style but haven't used it at all this year. Maybe it doesn't work any more.

I disagree with el_magico89, however I think that belittling people because of their age/employment/had kids is a completely unacceptable way to argue.

If you want to relate how your age has affected your experience then fine. But insinuating that their experience is invalid solely because of their age is very thin stuff indeed.

It could be you play too narrowly so that the chances you create are actually quite pressured or rushed even though the animations don't really show you that. The strikers can also have a too high attacking mentality so that they are too desperate.

The attacking players being told to run forwards often also leads to them often making that run into the box too early, breaking the rhythm of the attack. Instead of eyeing the ball when watching highlights, pay attention to what the other guys do. If they find themselves in offside, no pass being made, then turns back while the guy in possession needs to figure out what to do with the ball, not only is that easy to defend against but you're also in danger of being countered upon!

Well the highest mentality I have is at 12 notches of my AM the rest of the team has either 10 notches in mentality or 8 for my defense and I don't really have a big reason to complain about since my teams scored around 2,5 goals per game and only concedes 0,6 which I find quite realistic. Possession is around 65% average often going above 70% against weak teams but maybe I should try lowering mentality for some positions even more.

You have a wrong perception of the ME. According to PaulC' date=' what you see on your screen is exactly what the ME is calculating. There are no pre-determined outcomes i.e ME picking a winner of a 50-50 challenge and then choosing an animation to display it, or things to that effect. When you see a defender move away from the ball then it's a ME glitch - an issue with the players closing down trigger most likely.[/quote']

I don't believe so but you would need PaulC to clarify it fully.

My understanding has always been the ME drives the graphics not the other way round. So the ME calculates what happens then picks the "Best fit" animations to show this as a highlight.

Once a highlight starts everything has already been calculated by the ME and the ME already knows the outcome of that highlight.

Might be true that it's just a display bug but the point remains it looks like the game did it "intentionally" to make the other team score. That's the point where people will get the idea "the game is rigid" so if this is really a 3D game display bug please fix it.

k, I understand your point here. FWIW SI has been improving and ironing out these sort of issues since the 3d was introduced and they are much less frequent now than they used to be.

Might I ask what team and what league you play?

Sure, over the last couple of versions I have been manager of:

Toronto, Roma, Hereford, Hearts, Blackburn, Lazio, Schalke & Degerfors (Sweden) + lower league teams in Malaysia & Brazil.

Well the highest mentality I have is at 12 notches of my AM the rest of the team has either 10 notches in mentality or 8 for my defense and I don't really have a big reason to complain about since my teams scored around 2,5 goals per game and only concedes 0,6 which I find quite realistic. Possession is around 65% average often going above 70% against weak teams but maybe I should try lowering mentality for some positions even more.

Hmm, that is quite defensive enough I'd say. Maybe even too much! I was speaking of mentalities 17+. Mine is at 15 for the whole team, and they are still quite calm and composed.

I don't believe so but you would need PaulC to clarify it fully.

My understanding has always been the ME drives the graphics not the other way round. So the ME calculates what happens then picks the "Best fit" animations to show this as a highlight.

Once a highlight starts everything has already been calculated by the ME and the ME already knows the outcome of that highlight.

Not really true. This is one of the threads where it has been discussed.

The animations just follow what happened in the ME, second for second.

I would also like to complain. This game is stupid and unrealistic. On my game Macclesfield drew Bolton 2-2 in the FA Cup. Crawley beat Bristol City and Swindon beat Wigan in the same round. Never would have happened.

Also one of my defenders keep making stupid mistakes!! Clearly a BUG!

Also, Man U beat my team Bayern Munich in the CL final with two overtime goals. I mean...come on! That's just stupid. AI is SO cheating..

I don't think that quote contradicts anything Cougar said. Note Paul's use of the past tense- the animations display what was calculated when the match was calculated at the start of the half, or when the last set of changes were made.

Because there isn't, perhaps?

I think we're talking about different things here. Read the discussion I linked. Yes, the match is calculated before it's shown to us - but the highlights are compiled before they're shown to us as well. The 'second for second' bit is relevant from that particular quote. What Cougar suggests is that when a highlight is being played the outcome has already been determined and the animations are just 'added on' to play out the sequence as best as it could - allowing loose representation. The same suggestion was made in that thread and told to not be true.

Edit: the main point is that when a player for example appears to get 'stuck' and not go for the ball allowing the opposition to nip in then that's exactly what the match engine has calculated, for whatever reason (probably a glitch). It hasn't determined beforehand that another player has to get to the ball first.

I could be wrong as I haven't read all of the thread but I think you've misunderstood what he has written.

If you look at Erimus's post #1568 he is talking about is there a difference between highlights and a full "live" match.

In terms of watching key or extended highlights the match has to be played out by the ME so it can see what the "highlights" are for you to watch - wwfan confirms this in #1584 whilst PaulC confirmed Erimus's post #1568 where he understood the same.

I'm not 100% sure about "Live" as I've never used it much like I suspect a large majority of the community. I suspect in this case the ME calculates "On the fly" so to speak with the graphics/3d/match viewer working a split second behind finding the right animations to use - The post you quoted from PaulC "The animations just follow what happened in the ME, second for second"

Looking back at your earlier post #28 I think we are talking at cross purposes though. I was talking about those times when a defender slows down and lets the ST get to the ball first despite looking closer whilst I suspect you are talking about where a defender is closer to the ball but due to his instructions he holds his position or backs off when he could have reached the ball which I would agree is a ME/instructions issue.

What Cougar suggests is that when a highlight is being played the outcome has already been determined and the animations are just 'added on' to play out the sequence as best as it could - allowing loose representation.

Not added on' date=' the ME has already calculated every movement, every pass, every tackle, every shot of that highlight. The match viewer then puts together a sequence of animations from those available to show all that happening.

The same suggestion was made in that thread and told to not be true.

Any chance of finding the posts that say that?

Edit: the main point is that when a player for example appears to get 'stuck' and not go for the ball allowing the opposition to nip in then that's exactly what the match engine has calculated, for whatever reason (probably a glitch). It hasn't determined beforehand that another player has to get to the ball first.

Depends on how it looks, I've seen some where I think the match viewer is at fault whilst others I would put down to the ME.

Appears that I'm just misunderstanding your view, but I still disagree with the post of yours (or the relevant part of it) that I initially quoted. I can't see how two players going for the same ball and one slowing down can be match viewer issue. If the match events are displayed 'second for second' then the player slowing down is calculated to do so in the script as well. It may just be failing to illustrate the reason for this, but the only acceptable one would be the player stumbling or falling over. In which case it's still a glitch as the player keeps moving, just very slowly. Most likely reason for it is the closing down/chase loose ball triggers going iffy though.

Appears that I'm just misunderstanding your view' date=' but I still disagree with the post of yours (or the relevant part of it) that I initially quoted. I can't see how two players going for the same ball and one slowing down can be match viewer issue. If the match events are displayed 'second for second' then the player slowing down is calculated to do so in the script as well. It may just be failing to illustrate the reason for this, but the only acceptable one would be the player stumbling or falling over. In which case it's still a glitch as the player keeps moving, just very slowly. Most likely reason for it is the closing down/chase loose ball triggers going iffy though.[/quote']

The general theory when the match viewer came out was that the defender wasn't shown as being exactly where the ME calculated him to be initially - maybe more accuracy given to the positioning of "active" players with initial "non-active" ones perhaps drifting a little.

Now I'm not so sure and I get your "second by second" comment which would imply its the ME/instructions/player attributes causing that behaviour.

Archived