Ridiculously small AI reserves squad.

I'm in the year 2014 in the English league, and i notice that almost all the other clubs in the premier league are having such a small reserve squad.

Spurs got like 7 players there. Sunderland and Blackburn got 2 players each??? Its almost empty. A reserve team which is non-existant.

Am i the only 1 experiencing this? A reserve team is meant to build up and train potential players but AI squads have almost no one there.

A reserve team is meant to build up and train potential players but AI squads have almost no one there.

You have the wrong idea of what reserve teams are for TBH.

A lot of clubs in real life are getting rid of their reserve teams to save money, Spurs I don't think have a reserve team IRL whilst the likes of Italy & Scotland don't have reserve leagues.

Are the teams you've listed playing in the reserve league at all?

You have the wrong idea of what reserve teams are for TBH.

A lot of clubs in real life are getting rid of their reserve teams to save money, Spurs I don't think have a reserve team IRL whilst the likes of Italy & Scotland don't have reserve leagues.

Are the teams you've listed playing in the reserve league at all?

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/players/players_reserves.html

They have a normal reserves squad. I think it's you who are getting the wrong idea about reserves. There are always players who are too young to play for the academy and thus go into the reserve team to impress and try to get into their clubs first team.

Yes the teams listed are in the reserves league. Almost all the clubs have only a couple of players. Go to your game and have a look.

Cougar is right, teams have moved away from using their reserves as a building team and its more a team of players your not yet ready to give a chance or give up on. Its definitely not for building players as it used to be. A lot of EPL teams are now not bothering at all and as he says in Italy and Scotland we did away with them a few years ago.

A reserves squad serves two purposes: to give games to first-team squad players who don't get enough playing time and to provide more matches (in a slightly more physical environment) for under 18s players. I don't have anyone in my reserve squad except 2 or 3 players who got too old for the under-18s who I have not been able to sell. If you have a bunch of middle-aged guys (by which I mean anyone between 19-30) in the reserve squad, they just take games away from players who need the action to develop.

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/players/players_reserves.html

They have a normal reserves squad. I think it's you who are getting the wrong idea about reserves. There are always players who are too young to play for the academy and thus go into the reserve team to impress and try to get into their clubs first team.

Yes the teams listed are in the reserves league. Almost all the clubs have only a couple of players. Go to your game and have a look.

Ok I was slightly wrong Tottenham have spare players - Note they call them "Professionals" rather than "Reserve Team" How many matches have they played this season? I can't find any on the Spurs website.

Four premiership clubs don't any part in the reserve league - Man City, QPR, Stoke City & Spurs.

Cougar is right, teams have moved away from using their reserves as a building team and its more a team of players your not yet ready to give a chance or give up on. Its definitely not for building players as it used to be. A lot of EPL teams are now not bothering at all and as he says in Italy and Scotland we did away with them a few years ago.

Maybe i'm wrong. But can you link me a article to show that clubs are doing away their reserve team? As far as my research goes, as of now, most EPL clubs have a full reserve team.

Maybe i'm wrong. But can you link me a article to show that clubs are doing away their reserve team? As far as my research goes, as of now, most EPL clubs have a full reserve team.

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/684075-tottenham-scrap-reserve-team

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2006891/Man-City-scrap-reserves-focus-kids-Champions-League-NextGen-series.html

http://www.sheffieldtelegraph.co.uk/sport/sheffield-sport/sheffield_wednesday_scrap_reserves_team_1_3326696

A lot of clubs now don't have reserve teams in the way they are portrayed in FM. Instead they will arrange games as and when first team squad players are coming back from injury etc.

In Spurs' case, most of those players on that 'reserve list' are young enough to play in the NextGen or under 18's. Those who aren't are usually loaned out to other clubs (Alnwick, Bostock, Caulker, Naughton, Khumalo)

Yeah we (Sheffield Wednesday) scrapped our reserve team and now they just play behind closed doors friendlies every so often to try out trialists or give players returning from injury some match practice. I know we're not Premier League but with most clubs having smaller squads now this will happen more often as players not good enough for the 1st team but too old for the youth team will either be loaned out or released, making reserve teams unnecessary.

Archived