What to do...

...when a player has given so much to the club but isn't good enough for the top division (IMO)?

I ask because the player below has shown great loyalty and has probably been the most important player in my campaign to reach the Premiership. His assist record is incredible in League 1 and the Championship and there is no doubt that without him my club would have had nowhere near as much success as they have.

I feel like I need to sign a better player in order to avoid relegation but cannot ignore the feeling that I should have faith in him for his contribution over the years.

ofzozn.jpg

ogcbxw.jpg

Tbf I think he looks okay for a newly promoted side. He knows your tactic well and doesn't need anytime to settle in. Give him a go at least, and failing that the cup games and bench appearences to try and keep his morale up. He might surprise you. Let us know what you decide to do. :thup:

I'm going to have faith in him and give him a shot. I'm having trouble finding any appropriate right midfielders anyway.

Niall's attributes are decent but they don't do his performances justice. Every game he plays in he dominates and is probably the biggest creative force in my team.

Interestingly, this will mean that Niall has played in League 1, the Championship and the Premiership with my club. I can't recall this ever happening in real life in my lifetime but I wonder if anyone else has had a player play regular games for them in 3 tiers of football (or maybe more) in their FM save?

IMO, if selling him immediately now that you have just reached the premier league, then keep him around for 1 year

Next year, he will be 29 years old, if he doesn't perform this year, sell him around June next year before he reach 30 years old on 20 July. Becos I always noticed a significant drop in value between 29 and 30 years old :D

I'm going to have faith in him and give him a shot. I'm having trouble finding any appropriate right midfielders anyway.

Niall's attributes are decent but they don't do his performances justice. Every game he plays in he dominates and is probably the biggest creative force in my team.

Interestingly, this will mean that Niall has played in League 1, the Championship and the Premiership with my club. I can't recall this ever happening in real life in my lifetime but I wonder if anyone else has had a player play regular games for them in 3 tiers of football (or maybe more) in their FM save?

In the current Swansea side Leon Britton and Alan Tate both played for them against Hull nine years ago when they had to win to guarentee not being relegated to the Conference in what is League 2 now and been with the club through the rise to the Premier League.

i have the same loyalty issues with my Bristol City side - i have just reached the EPL and want to stay there but dont feel the side is up to standard to stay there so have bought in a fair few players - noticed that the team is made up from only 3 or 4 who got us there - and i do feel guilty

but 2 wins from 4 hopefully has justified my decision

Yeah give him a bash, he has by the looks of things singlehandly provided the goals for your team for a few years, he deserves the chance to shine in the EPL, last thing you need is to completely upset your team with huge chances if he has been terrible by xmas you can always try and replace him then.

first thing to do is decide if you have enough cover in your squad to let him go and secondly do you have a better player? personally if it was me id sign someone else but keep him there to cover while my "better" signing settles in and starts playing good. but mainly to add competitation in that position and cover at the same time.

Yeah give him a bash, he has by the looks of things singlehandly provided the goals for your team for a few years, he deserves the chance to shine in the EPL, last thing you need is to completely upset your team with huge chances if he has been terrible by xmas you can always try and replace him then.

Indeed, he has without question been at the forefront of the majority of my scoring chances and has pretty much been the biggest component to my success so far.

It would be rather unfair, now that my side has a decent bit of cash behind them, to forget his hard work and give some hot shot a place over him.

sell him in the winter if he doesn't satisfy your expectations

I can't remember how many world-class players I sold because I didn't like how they performed

Yes I have sold off players with worldwide reputation and very high skill too just because they didn't do on the pitch what I needed them to do. The most recent was a poacher-type striker who surely scored goals, but just didn't contribute enough to the team despite that.

In my Las Palmas game I also kept Jonathan Viera the whole 11-season savegame because he was a legend, and because he kept delivering the goods that the abovementioned regen superstar didn't (Viera probably had half his ability or something - at least half the star rating (2 vs 4)). He lost his captaincy towards the end, though.

If McGinn is a club legend, I wouldn't sell him. Especially if he in addition to 16 determination also has a good personality for tutoring youngsters.

Archived