Star ratings accurate or not??

I am in my third season with spurs and i have a young scottish cm called mckee who is currently 21 ( cant remember his first name off the top of my head ). His states are very good from the start but for some reason he is only rates

1 1/2 star recomendation ( started at 2star but decreased :-S ). This puzzles me slightly as in his first season for me he scored 8 in 21 premiership games. Now in his second season and he has played 13games in total ( i think he has started something like 8) and he has scored 10 goals with an average rating of 7.40. How can he only be a 1 1/2 recommendation??? is there something that im missing?

firstly... star ratings are a rough guide... they all depend on the person scouting him... a top class scout could say he is 3 star.. while a lesser one would say 1 1/2 star ...

secondly... his potential never goes up or down.. its all about how he's developing and how the scout is currently judging it ...

if he's playing well, ignore the stars as an absolute and just use it as a guide, if he's playing well and improving, who cares?

The star ratings change on 2 things.

1. How well his stats have developed.

2. Players you sign.

It doesnt matter how well he plays, but if his stats havent developed that well, then his rating will either go up, or possibly down.

The other is that when you sign players in the same position as him, or other youngsters come through for example, then he is compared to them players in the same position, and if your assistant manager doesnt rate him as highly as them, his * rating will go down.

Basically, your two star player has limited talents but he's good at the important ones for his role. A "better" player on paper will have a higher CA but "waste" it on things he won't need for his role.

I find that pure poachers, ie fast strikers, tend to be under-rated while all-rounders who do everything quite well get more stars but don't deliver on the pitch.

Say then I have a youngster, 3 star rated potential. Does that rate only his overall attributes as 3 star potential, or 3 star potential as a right back?

The star rating will be for his natural position. Your staff reports might show different star ratings for other positions he is comfortable in.

the star system is in comparison of the players already in your team. So if he has more stars than the players in his position already in your team then he is either better at the moment in time. but i would only ever rely on the star system if you have good scouts as close to 20 / 20 for judging ability and potential as possible.

The star ratings change on 2 things.

1. How well his stats have developed.

2. Players you sign.

It doesnt matter how well he plays, but if his stats havent developed that well, then his rating will either go up, or possibly down.

The other is that when you sign players in the same position as him, or other youngsters come through for example, then he is compared to them players in the same position, and if your assistant manager doesnt rate him as highly as them, his * rating will go down.

i also notice that star ratings change based on how much football the player gets.

john flanagan was a 4star. he then missed 5 games in a row - only because i had a better right back at the time, not through injury - and he went down to 3 star. I play him in the next game and he goes up to 3 1/2 star.

It must be. He's terrific. I signed him in BSC and he was my best player, thus getting 4 stars in my squad. Naturally in your Spurs squad he is not a great RELATIVE to the other players, hence he has a lower star rating.

Signed him for my Blue Square Premier side. He has 20 in free-kicks and scores some cracking long-range shots too. Got 9.6 rating in a recent game.. 2 goals, 2 assists. He's 4 stars for me!

Signed him for my Blue Square Premier side. He has 20 in free-kicks and scores some cracking long-range shots too. Got 9.6 rating in a recent game.. 2 goals, 2 assists. He's 4 stars for me!

Yup yup. I'm hoping his mental attributes develop as I've ear-marked him as future captain and play-maker.

Edit: yes, it's all come back to me now. He was on loan to Fleetwood and was top of the charts in the Blue Square Premier/Conference for assists and average rating. He really stood out when we played Fleetwood so I put in a bid as his loan came to an end and got him in the January window. Thanks to magic Joe, we pipped Fleetwood and got promoted with Wrexham. We've just secured promotion from League 2 (along with Wrexham again) with him an integral part of our team.

Star ratings are based in one thing only as far as I know: the Current Ability (CA) of that player, related to your team. That means that a 150 CA guy will have 5 stars in a very bad team and will have 3 stars in a decent team.

When your team starts getting bigger, winning championships, tournaments and promoting, the stars will naturally decrease over time, as those players won't be considered as good for a team of an higher calibre.

A completly different thing, like I have seen, is a player who has less CA and still better skills overall. 1,5 stars (to the better guy) against 3 stars (to the worst guy), but I consider this odd bugs that they didnt care to sort out.

isnt the star ratings when you put them up against players in your own club ? so speaking about that, if say you check out rooney, his star rating would be far higher if you were managing Liverpool rather than Leeds United

isnt the star ratings when you put them up against players in your own club ? so speaking about that, if say you check out rooney, his star rating would be far higher if you were managing Liverpool rather than Leeds United

You've either got that the wrong way round or misunderstood.

Rooney would be 3.5*ish for Liverpool which would be slightly better than an average member of the squad whilst for Leeds he would be 4*-5* as he would be far better than an average squad member.

Rooney would of course be 4 or 4,5 for Liverpool, as he is much better than Suarez who is their best striker. For Leeds he would have 5 stars, guaranteed. He is twice as good as anyone else on that team.

McGee is an ok player, by the looks of him. Ability-wise he is not good enough for Tottenham, but that doesn't mean that he won't deliver the goods. He is a good finisher and set-piece taker even for the likes of Tottenham.

AFAIK star ratings work this way:

Scouts scout and the star rating is based on a comparison with the division (if you read scout reports it says "is a good player for x division"), this can be inaccurate if the JPA and JPP is too low (I think up to 1.5 stars for less than 10, 1 for 10-16 0.5 for 16-20. This is my rough guess)

For assistants its based on how good they are in your squad and were the squad is meant to be in the league, for example a player who should be at the top of the league in a team last will be 5* but in a team that is predicted top they would be 3-3.5*.

This is all guess work but it seems to be how it has worked for me, I hope this provides some incite :)

the fact that players star ratings are based on the club they are at, is confusing for me.

i once took over at Malaysian club Perak. lots of their players were maxed at at 5stars. it makes it very difficult to know if the person your scouting is better than the current crop of players of not. it also means that the difference between a 3star player and a 5 star isn't that much considering the average PA of a player at Perak is about 15, i belive.

The stars are based on the quality of the players in YOUR first team. My League 2 side was drawn against Arsenal in the cup. Arsenal put out a second-string line-up but they were all 4-5 stars. For example, Chamakh was 5*; van Persie wasn't in the squad, so Chamakh's stars weren't in comparison to van Persie. Clearly those stars were in comparison to MY squad (as the four goals conceded before half time indicated).

Me and Giggsy got him for non-league teams and he's outstanding. The OP got him for Spurs and he seems average. No one's suggesting he's a world-beater, no.

According to his stats his Free Kick and Penalty Taking Ability is 20. The highest in the game. So according to FM, he is one of the best Free Kick and Penalty takers in the world. Beckham isn't 20 at Free Kicks, who ever researched him needs to have a rethink, i very much doubt he is one of the best in the world, if he was, he'd be at a top team surely!

His other attributes dont matter, not interested if he's outstanding or not, im concerned he has 20 in FK's and Pen's!

Unfortunately free kicks are ****ed in FM12. Even as the perfect free kick taker, he won't get you more than 1 direct free kick per season. For what SI call 'indirect free kicks' you still need someone to get on the end of them. He hasn't missed a penalty for me, to be fair.

I have a newgen who has 19 for Free Kicks, and has scored 5+ Free Kicks for me, scored a screamer the other day. It's just someone who has researched has put his ability to take free kicks and penaltys at the top level, amongst the best in the world, better than David Beckham! Some "Free" bloke is one of the best in the world. It's absurd and poor on SI!

• 3 weeks later...

To be honest I completely forgot about this thread lol. I have been ignoring the star rating recently i was using it at the begining due to it being my first year of fm12 on pc. I tend to pay alot of attention to the key attributes for the positions i am going to play players. joe mckee is immense and i def recommend him as an APM cm attack.... scores some blinding shots from random positions.

Archived