Second Nationality and International Management

I'm interested to hear of any games where you have been hired as manager of the international team if it is your second nationality.

Countries in the game tend to favour candidates from their own nation as opposed to foreigners. I accept this and see it as a realistic addition.

My question is whether your second nationality really has any sway in the selection process if at all? Once a player or manager has selected one's primary nationality, that is what they have declared for and the second nationality is irrelevant. I am English and Irish and I tend to chop and change my primary and secondary nationalities when adding myself as a manager. I have games where I put Irish first and then some as English first. This decision obviously affects which international management jobs you are offered.

In my current game, I have put Irish as my first nationality and English as my second, I have been manager of the Republic of Ireland for a few years alongside my Man United job. During the save I have won League titles and Champions League titles so I have high credentials and reputation. I resigned from the Ireland job after a tournament and applied for the England opening and was laughed off the position. This has happened twice over the course of the game which makes me question whether second nationality is at all relevant apart from a potential scouting/language skill. I also remember in FM11, I had English as my first nationality and Irish as second. When I went to apply for the Ireland job I was always rejected in front of less reputable candidates. I had a world class reputation and Irish managers with National and even Regional managers were always chosen for the job ahead of me.

I accept that Ireland and England are international rivals which is obviously a factor in the hiring process. But second nationality isn't even a factor in the selection process. I would also argue that having a nationality of a rival nation should not impede you as much as does it on the game especially if there are much less qualified candidates out there. I'd think IRL if a Scottish/Irish/Welsh manager who'd won lots of trophies, Sir Alex Ferguson for example, were to apply for the England job he would not be laughed off and seriously considered for the position. Obviously you have take it on a case by case basis. I think if Aiden McGeady for example one day wanted to become Scotland manager there would be an uproar but Jack Charlton for example was English and he got the Ireland job and Martin O'Neill has been touted as a future England manager over the last few years. It's frustrating to think on my game that no matter how many leagues and Champions League I win I will never be able to manage England on it because my primary nationality is Irish.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I have mine as Scottish 1st and American 2nd.

I always seem to get offered jobs by teams like Honduras and Guatamala once i have a decent reputation built up for myself, im not sure if it is cos of my American nationality or if they aapproach everybody.

In a different save I had won CL 10 years on the trot with Wigan and still couldnt get the England job though.

Started at Peterbourough with Sunday league rep, and after Euro 2016, having finished 8th in EPL and won manager of the year, I applied for france, italy and spain and scotland, got laughed off of italy and france, didnt get scotland job, but got the Spain job, ridiculous

Okay I have yet to read all the posts here but..I am currently English manager and have also been its U20 manager. My 1st Nationally is England and New Zealand as my second.

I have also managed Australia and Austria and Poland also approached me one time. All whist a National reputation.

As to your being laughed off as England Manager, that might be more to do with being Irish! An Irish manager as England coach hell no is prob how they are thinking. Same for when ya apply for Irish job being an englishman.

Same for when ya apply for Irish job being an englishman.

That's not true we've had jack charlton as manager, mick mccarthy was born in england (but he did play for ireland so don't think that counts) and we had bobby robson in a support role for us. Don't think the english part would matter once the manager was good enough

That's not true we've had jack charlton as manager, mick mccarthy was born in england (but he did play for ireland so don't think that counts) and we had bobby robson in a support role for us. Don't think the english part would matter once the manager was good enough

This is true in RL, however in FM it seems it may have more to it. Who knows.

Archived