Building A Big Squad from a Small Squad ... Potential Problems

Just started a save with Napoli and realised there squad is very very small. About 21 players and not really lots of cover in all positions. Now Napoli are challenging in the league, the Italian cup and the Champions League. I dont think there is a squad big enough to put up a substantial challenge on all fronts. A logical option would be to bring in a few backup and roatation players but I need to spend money on players that will IMPROVE my team, i.e new CB etc etc. I could also bring in a few Free Agents but anyone worth bringing in would ask for substantial wages which I cant afford.

Another problem with just adding to squad depth is risk upsetting squad harmony. I dont want to bring in 4/5 fringe players for 1) been playing exceptionally in pre season so dont want to upset a squad playing well. 2) The players I brought in getting upset because there not playing.

So Im in a bit of a Catch 22 here, do I build and risk having an average season and maybe getting sacked or just brace myself for a hard long tired season. Any tips anyone?

If you are not happy about buying, then see if you can get a player or two on loan. Most likely, though, loanable players are already gone on loan. But I fail to see how a few players can unbalance harmony in such a small squad. Just make sure they don't have a crap personality and sign them as backup/squad rotation.

Good idea with the loaning didnt think about that actually, transferbudget is rather low and Im not ready to cash in on Lavezzi/Hamsik/Cavani etc might try and get a few good youngsters on loan that can just be in first team for backup and maybe the odd free agend. I always seem to sign Diarra at the start of the game, just because he is class cover for maybe a season or two.

Arne Fridriech is a free agent and is still a quality CB. I think he is after about £35K a week, which is quite a bit but for a free transfer...

Agree about the loan idea as well, Daniel Sturridge came on loan for me in my Dortmund save and did very well indeed. Also Affelay is a quality player to get on loan. Danny Wilson from Liverpool makes a great loan signing as well.

Arne Fridriech is a free agent and is still a quality CB. I think he is after about £35K a week, which is quite a bit but for a free transfer...

Agree about the loan idea as well, Daniel Sturridge came on loan for me in my Dortmund save and did very well indeed. Also Affelay is a quality player to get on loan. Danny Wilson from Liverpool makes a great loan signing as well.

Could do with a CB as well so will have a look at him. On my Blackburn save I signed Sturridge on a Free Chelsea released him, he's on fire a very good player. Thiago from Barca is class as well, am going to have a serious look at loans now

I used to carry a large squad but the latest "Wants 1st. team football" syndrome has made me re-think a lot of my squad size priorities. I now try to play around 20/22 (max) good class players; when I can I always try to go for those players who are able to double up in 2/3 other positions. I then fill remaining 3/4 places with potentially good (4*) teenagers, usually from my existing U21 squad.

Ive not hit the wants first team football stage yet with my Blackburn team but that was with a squad of about 24/25 similar to set out as yours with the youngsters in there. I just like having a big squad to be able to challenge on all fronts. nothing worse than being title contenders then an injury crisis bends you over and you end up finishing say 4th (yes ive been there)

I tend to buy young players to fill my squad as they don't moan if they don't play every week anywhere as much as established players. They are of course also potentially future starters if they reach potential. I have reached the stage where I don't need to buy any new 1st team players for a few seasons so it is the best thing for me to do.

yeah suppose that is an option. Youth and loan are looking the way forward. have any of you actually looked at Napoli's squad size, its embarassing. Well maybe not that bad but when your used to having 23-25 players really isnt any fun :(

I try to make sure I have two entire squads with one extra utility player in defence, midfield and attack. Normally at least two players for each defenc, midfield and attack would be young players. Gives a nice balance and as long as you give everyone games in the cups, you shouldnt have too many problems!

Also, make sure there arent too many players with First Team or Key Player as their status, they will obviously be wanting to play almost every game!

Archived