Next England Manager  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Next England Manager

• Harry Redknapp
    • David Beckham
    • Alex Ferguson
    • Other

Hi there Football Managers,

Im new to the community so thought id try a thread out.

Whenever i make alot of signing and sell players, basically re-build a team i always struggle my team never does well afterwards.

I was wonder if any one could give me some advice. Or even tell me some times youve completed a team transofrmation succesfully,

Cheers lexlewis

Small changes over time - So I tend to go with around 3/4 major signings per season at most.

Either that or bite the bullet and overhaul the lot but accept it could take a full season to get them working well together.

In terms of other advice don't just look at star rating or attributes, look at the scout reports:

A) What are their strengths? weaknesses?

B) Try to identify hidden attributes - Are they professional? consistent? injury prone?

Right thanks, have you ever tried the complete over haul?

What teams have you done this with before?

I tried it with a newly promoted Sheffield United and bolton in the second season and its been a total flop1

Cheers lexlewis

I'd say that there are two workable philosophies. First up, if you have both the resources and the support of the board to weather one or two (potentially) awful seasons, you can run The Chaos Express. From the first day, start unloading the worst players on the team -- contracts be damned -- and bring in as much top-quality talent as you can stand. The team will go through The Valley of Doom until the new players settle in and you will likely suffer more defeats and unrest than you would normally. But, you will rebuild the team to your specifications in short order. As with ripping off a bandage, the pain will be intense but brief.

Now, since I play lower league, I rarely have the luxury of the first method. Therefore, for me, the best strategy -- and, ultimately, the most satisfying -- is The Ladder, that is, a slow, clockwork reconstruction. Each season, I bring in three or four new, high-quality players and concurrently unload the weakest links. The critical point here is that the new players are always a little better than my current best players, never equal or below. This starts the club on a slow but steady upward path where the new guys come in as key starting players and, over the years, slowly move down the ladder into the rotation, and finally into deep-standby status. If all goes according to plan, I then sell them at their peak for maximum value or maybe hire them onto the coaching staff. There are several big advantages to this strategy. First, I develop a very strong bench as the former key players move into reserve. Second, I minimize turnover by bringing in only top talent, never placeholders or instant second-stringers. Third, the players all love me to pieces because, with a strong bench, everybody gets to play. And, fourth, by keeping the bulk of the squad fairly close in ability, I minimize the overall wage budget by avoiding the superstar salaries. In other words, I'd rather have (and afford) six players rated at 8 than one 10 and five 6's.

Be absolutely sure of your standing with the board if you're about to visit fire and brimstone upon the peasants at Madrid. If you take over any of the premier, world-class teams at the start of the game AND your manager reputation is low, your support from the board will be tenuous even without raining chaos on the club. You could easily find yourself in trouble after a couple of defeats unless you have a massive reputation. Remember that, on your first day, the board will always promise undying love, warmth and affection even when they don't plan to call you the next day.

Post some screenies of your new Real Madrid team please when you get a chance.

I've done this overhaul thing many a times with my beloved Inter on past FMs, I say go for the overhaul sell the worst players and keep the players that are deeply rooted the the team like J. Zanetti, Cambiasso, J. Ceasar, Walter Samuel for my Inter if I was overhauling them. They can be you captains, vice-captains, tutors, and brings experience to the newer players.

Archived