"Playing nervously"

I'm seeing this quite a lot, and I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the player's age/experience etc, or is it purely down to manager reputation and morale/motivation?

The reason I ask is one particular example has me a bit confused. I'm currently playing in tier eight, and I have signed a 32-year old Curtis Woodhouse. Now this is a guy who has u21 caps for England and has a career of 350+ league games, most of them in the football league. Yet almost every game he comes up as "playing nervously". Why would someone of his experience in the game be nervous about playing tier eight football?

Or is it because he doesn't respect me as a manager yet and this translates to nervous on field performances?

All I know is (from my experience) players tend to play nervously on their debut if I ask them to show me what they can do.

"No pressure" seems to work best for me in pre-game team-talks for debuting players. Works sometimes during the half-time team-talk too.

I'm seeing this quite a lot, and I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the player's age/experience etc, or is it purely down to manager reputation and morale/motivation?

The reason I ask is one particular example has me a bit confused. I'm currently playing in tier eight, and I have signed a 32-year old Curtis Woodhouse. Now this is a guy who has u21 caps for England and has a career of 350+ league games, most of them in the football league. Yet almost every game he comes up as "playing nervously". Why would someone of his experience in the game be nervous about playing tier eight football?

Or is it because he doesn't respect me as a manager yet and this translates to nervous on field performances?

I don't get this at all, I wouldn't think it has anything to do with manager unless your rating is the same as say Sir Alex which mean he's a bit worried to play under you because you're so famous or something daft!!

It may also have something to do with the personality type of the player.

Yep, lowish pressure rating combined with demanding team talks = nerves, especially at a new club.

Give him individual team talks and see if he settles into the squad.

Which position did he play ? perhaps, you can put soft individual instruction cause it seems he is not in the good way to well playing. Avoid tight marking or big pressing till he play cooler. Each half-time, talk to him individual with good comments from you.

Perhaps, in your tactic he is under pressure from opponent. Try to support him with another team-mate

Archived