Silly board

If you changed your nation rules in the editor so the season update day was something more sensible and closer to the end of the season, e.g. 31 May rather than 20 June (or whatever the default is), then would promotions and relegations be recognised sooner? If this is the case then contract changes (i.e. promotion wage rise) would also happen sooner, making negotiating contract renewals less cumbersome. Also attracting new players in the close season would be more sensibe (i.e. you wouldnt get player X not wishing to "drop down divisions", even though his club has just finished bottom of the divisioon that I am due to be promoted to, but the game hasn't 'recognised' this yet.

Its not really a game fault, the game is designed to recognise things at certain points during the year, the game doesnt recognise you have been promoted because it hasnt happened yet, it checks for these things at specific points/ Anyway, its only a month, not really the end of the world is it?

Yeah, think of it from a real life point of view....maybe the board of directors had planned for a season review in a month's time when you initially requested......that's why they rejected it?

and a month later, when the 'scheduled' meeting took place, your rejected request was brought up to the table and they see the sense of it and approved it?

It's about realism. In real life, after a team has finished top of the table, players they try to sign will be aware of the fact that they finished top and will subsequently take in to account that they will be a division higher at the start of the next season, not still in the division the BBC website has them as top of until they bother to update it at the end of June.

I get the fact that it might not be as flexible as real life as it is essentiallty based on calculations of available data, but in my opinion, moving the update day as I suggested would reduce the constrictive impact of these calculations by making them take place closer to the time when the data that contributes to them is actually available from.

Having said all that, I don't know what else the update day has an impact on (feel free to enlighten me here) so it may screw up other aspects of the game!!

The update changes quite a lot, not just promotion relegation, but reputation, budgets, TV money, prize money, scheduling, heaps of things. Changing the date earlier may catch situations like this, but it could screw things up quite badly, and could have effects on moral, job security, contracts and various other things as well. No point in your star player getting his 40% wage increase a month before your due to be promoted, just so the game recognises your going up at the end of the season. In real life promotion and relegation usually goes down to the last week or so of the season, the game works from that basis id imagine.

My suggested date is 31 May - that wouldn't be "a month before your due to be promoted". In real life, I'm sure by this date clubs are planning for the next season's increased reputation, budgets, TV money, prize money, scheduling, etc, safe in the knowledge they have finished top of the league - i.e. the league is finished and all the fixtures have been fulfilled.

Because the playoffs have not finished by that point, in order for the nation to start a new season every game has to have been played in every active league, so if the play offs are still happening the season has not finished and therefore the game cannot work on the new seasons fixtures, rep changes, tv deals ect. To change the starting date id imagine would involve changing a big part of how the game currently works, it wont be as simple as just changing a date.

The point is you do get teams every season that are promoted in April and everybody who follows football knows they are going to be in a higher division the next season. So why should they have to wait until the end of June before decisions get made, better standard players will join them, etc. On fm10 I got promoted from league 2 on February 27th but you can't tell me that nobody knew I was going up until June 26th. Eventually, SI need to find a way of getting the balance right of when the game recognises what division you are in or going to be in. Iam no game programmer though so it maybe more difficult than it sounds.

Archived