Just a thought...i'm very interested...

The other day I started a new game with Man Utd and was picking to buy the best youngsters, Bojan of Barcelona was one of them so I got him on loan, looking at his stats I thought WOW. Anyway...since he has been playing for me his performances have been better than rooneys even though he hasn't scored as many goals as him...I thought oh my god...this is really crazy but its not the player it must be a problem with the game mechanics that I thought afterwards. Looking at his stats he has really excellent stats for a forward at the age of 16 but he is 16 though.

Finishing is 16, off the ball is 16, composure is 16, technique is 16, first touch is 13, anticipation is 14. I've just came up with the following thought, I know this might seem a bit wierd or stupid or even crazy to even think this but I would like to know what kind of game we play because at the moment i'm starting to think the game we play is kind of like one dimentional which is not good at all icon_frown.gif if it is like how I think it is and has made me very very sad indeed.

This is what I was thinking...how come Bojan is good as Rooney at the age of 16? I know strikers are supposed to have the abilities I mentioned above to be a good striker, but how are they taken into account in the game? Are all the stat numbers added together?...so the higher the number then the better the striker, now this does not sound good.

So Bojan has Finishing 16, off the ball 16, composure 16, technique 16, first touch 13, anticipation 14. Adding all them together gives 91 for Bojan, now for Rooney adding his together gives something like 92 or 93 if i'm correct. Does anyone know how this stuff works for other positions also? Now another thing that I don't understand is...when you train players you have to train the stats in each category, for example the shooting category trains, long shots, finishing, composure etc so maybe that is linked to it also? Or am I wrong?

I also thought for a player to score headers they have to be good at jumping, heading and strength, does a high number adding all them together make the player better?

I have been thinking alot about this game lately and it has huge unrealism, unrealism which is not easy to see by like 99.9% of people, its not a bad thing, its just I like to play with something not as simple as what I have encountered. Can someone clear this up please for me?

The other day I started a new game with Man Utd and was picking to buy the best youngsters, Bojan of Barcelona was one of them so I got him on loan, looking at his stats I thought WOW. Anyway...since he has been playing for me his performances have been better than rooneys even though he hasn't scored as many goals as him...I thought oh my god...this is really crazy but its not the player it must be a problem with the game mechanics that I thought afterwards. Looking at his stats he has really excellent stats for a forward at the age of 16 but he is 16 though.

Finishing is 16, off the ball is 16, composure is 16, technique is 16, first touch is 13, anticipation is 14. I've just came up with the following thought, I know this might seem a bit wierd or stupid or even crazy to even think this but I would like to know what kind of game we play because at the moment i'm starting to think the game we play is kind of like one dimentional which is not good at all icon_frown.gif if it is like how I think it is and has made me very very sad indeed.

This is what I was thinking...how come Bojan is good as Rooney at the age of 16? I know strikers are supposed to have the abilities I mentioned above to be a good striker, but how are they taken into account in the game? Are all the stat numbers added together?...so the higher the number then the better the striker, now this does not sound good.

So Bojan has Finishing 16, off the ball 16, composure 16, technique 16, first touch 13, anticipation 14. Adding all them together gives 91 for Bojan, now for Rooney adding his together gives something like 92 or 93 if i'm correct. Does anyone know how this stuff works for other positions also? Now another thing that I don't understand is...when you train players you have to train the stats in each category, for example the shooting category trains, long shots, finishing, composure etc so maybe that is linked to it also? Or am I wrong?

I also thought for a player to score headers they have to be good at jumping, heading and strength, does a high number adding all them together make the player better?

I have been thinking alot about this game lately and it has huge unrealism, unrealism which is not easy to see by like 99.9% of people, its not a bad thing, its just I like to play with something not as simple as what I have encountered. Can someone clear this up please for me?

Tbh i'm not really sure about the stats thingy, i'm not sure they should be added together, they're surely independent of each other. As for bojan being as good as rooney on the game, he does hold the record for scoring 961 goals in 7 years for Barcelona's youth team, and he's in the first team now aged 17 so i can't see why he can't be. Some players are just naturally brilliant.

yes, Bojan might look like he's as good as Rooney. but Rooney is muuuuuch better with his weaker foot- left one. but Bojan uses left foot only for walking not even running, he runs only with his right foot, well not exactly, he makes every 3rd step with his weaker foot which is...left I think, when he's running. that's why Rooney is muuuuch better, right? he scored more goals, didn't he? icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Matthew Le God:

for different postions each attribute stat has different weightings. so for example it is more important that a defender has better positioning than an attacker and the weighting system takes this into account.

i think thats what you were after icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No sorry and I don't think attackers need positioning at all, I thought it was a defensive stat?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by fattyg:

Tbh i'm not really sure about the stats thingy, i'm not sure they should be added together, they're surely independent of each other. As for bojan being as good as rooney on the game, he does hold the record for scoring 961 goals in 7 years for Barcelona's youth team, and he's in the first team now aged 17 so i can't see why he can't be. Some players are just naturally brilliant. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is he really as good in real life as he is in the game? What do you mean by independant of each other?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">No sorry and I don't think attackers need positioning at all, I thought it was a defensive stat? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

surely attackers do need positioning. Getting themselves in the position to score goals is a fundamental part of being a striker.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Navie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Matthew Le God:

for different postions each attribute stat has different weightings. so for example it is more important that a defender has better positioning than an attacker and the weighting system takes this into account.

No sorry and I don't think attackers need positioning at all, I thought it was a defensive stat? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that was my point!!! icon_smile.gif attackers don't need postioning so in the database the weighting system accounts for this by making it not important. where as for defenders it is important and the attribute will be weighted accordingly. it is quite a complicated thing to explain but the basic principle is about a weighting system

what exactly did you want to know, as you asked alot of questions in that opening post?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by fattyg:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">No sorry and I don't think attackers need positioning at all, I thought it was a defensive stat? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

surely attackers do need positioning. Getting themselves in the position to score goals is a fundamental part of being a striker. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

positoning = defenders

off the ball = strikers

surely attackers do need positioning. Getting themselves in the position to score goals is a fundamental part of being a striker. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

positoning = defenders

off the ball = strikers </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

but that's true indeed. icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Navie:

No sorry and I don't think attackers need positioning at all, I thought it was a defensive stat? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that was my point!!! icon_smile.gif attackers don't need postioning so in the database the weighting system accounts for this by making it not important. where as for defenders it is important and the attribute will be weighted accordingly. it is quite a complicated thing to explain but the basic principle is about a weighting system

what exactly did you want to know, as you asked alot of questions in that opening post? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just want to know how the stats work for players. I was explaining what I think the stats do but trying to find out if that is true or if there is some other way the stats work for players.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Is he really as good in real life as he is in the game? What do you mean by independant of each other? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I might be way off i just figured personally that all stats are independent. Yes a group of stats together combine to make a good striker ( finishing, composure, pace etc) but maybe the stats themselves are not linked as in someone could be really good at finishing but have terrible composure etc and therefore not be that great. I dunno i think i'm beginning to confuse myself lol

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Is he really as good in real life as he is in the game? What do you mean by independant of each other? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I might be way off i just figured personally that all stats are independent. Yes a group of stats together combine to make a good striker ( finishing, composure, pace etc) but maybe the stats themselves are not linked as in someone could be really good at finishing but have terrible composure etc and therefore not be that great. I dunno i think i'm beginning to confuse myself lol </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok lets say a striker has 20 in finishing, composure, off the ball, first touch, technique and anticipation, then he has the maximum number if they are all added together which would make 120, now lets say the 2nd best striker has a total of 101, now that is 19 off the mark so he will be nowhere near as good, it may not matter if he has bad composure, it could be any of the striker stats but in the end it may not matter as long as he has a very high number in the combined stats.

I might be way off i just figured personally that all stats are independent. Yes a group of stats together combine to make a good striker ( finishing, composure, pace etc) but maybe the stats themselves are not linked as in someone could be really good at finishing but have terrible composure etc and therefore not be that great. I dunno i think i'm beginning to confuse myself lol </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

think about this; how far a player will get with the ball if he's got dribbling 20 but pace and acceleration 1. or how many passes will be completed with creativity 20 but passing 1, or how many headers will player win with heading and strenght 20 but jumping and aticipation 1...

as i explained it has nothing at all to do with adding up the players attributes it is a weighting system based on the players position and the current ability that he is given </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think its a weighting system because if a striker does not need tacking, positioning, marking etc or any stats to score a goal then aren't they neglected?

as i explained it has nothing at all to do with adding up the players attributes it is a weighting system based on the players position and the current ability that he is given </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think its a weighting system because if a striker does not need tacking, positioning, marking etc or any stats to score a goal then aren't they neglected? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i am a researcher for FM

it IS a weighting system icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">i am a researcher for FM

it IS a weighting system </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

haha i think thats called game set and match

im the southampton researcher(see my location to the left)

you said before that you

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I don't think its a weighting system </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

now you are saying

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I don't really have a clue what a weighting system is </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">i am a researcher for FM

it IS a weighting system </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

haha i think thats called game set and match </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What...the weighting system? I think this system is flawed, I just can't understand how Bojan is better than Rooney in any sense.

im the southampton researcher(see my location to the left)

you said before that you

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I don't think its a weighting system </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

now you are saying

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I don't really have a clue what a weighting system is </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah because I don't know what a weighting system is and never heard of it before.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Yeah because I don't know what a weighting system is and never heard of it before. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i'm gonna take a stab in the dark at it. Is it that two players could have the same CA but completely different stats due to the position they play in. So a striker would have stronger stats in the finishing composure areas etc, whereas a defender would be stronger in tackling, position, marking etc?

bojan when the game starts in july 2007 is not better than rooney </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know that but his stats add up to 91 while rooneys add upto 93 so i'd say they are kinda similar when they should not be and Bojan plays just as good as Rooney or better, Rooney does score a couple more goals than Bojan.

i take positioning into account for all players. how many times do we hear commentators say stuff like "the goalkeepers positioning was excellent" and "the striker took up a good position in the box" in the same match?

positioning for defenders= being goal side of the opposing striker, playing him offside before the through ball etc. that would link with marking.

positioning for a striker would be opposite, although having 16 for positioning and 20 for off the ball is better than 16pos & 9otb.

an AMC who has a ppm of 'arrives late in opponents area' with a 16+ stat for positioning would be better at picking up loose balls from half clearances on the edge of the area while keeping himself from being marked by an opposing DM. obviously a DM with 16+pos would be better at picking up such an AMC with 16+ for anticipation/concentration etc.

i remember on old play-by-mail games that stats were 1-99, and the player had an overall rating, which was an average of these stats. this would fail in fm because rooney, for example, wouldn't have a high defensive stats rating (say 10/100 for tackling & marking), but he would obviously have high very attacking ratings, whereas gerrards overall game covers both attacking and defensive stats, so rooney might be an 85 overall when gerrard would be 90+. back then, however, both should be rated 89-99 at least.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Yeah because I don't know what a weighting system is and never heard of it before. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i'm gonna take a stab in the dark at it. Is it that two players could have the same CA but completely different stats due to the position they play in. So a striker would have stronger stats in the finishing composure areas etc, whereas a defender would be stronger in tackling, position, marking etc? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

basically thats it icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">originally posted by Navie:-

don't really have a clue what a weighting system is and don't researchers just say how good a player is for each stat? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A weighting system means CA equates to the sum of the attributes for a given position with a weighting applied to the given attribute. The higher the weighting for an attribute then the more CA it uses up.

Mathematically:-

CA = w1*A1 + w2*A2 + w3*A3 + ....

where w is the weighting and A is the attribute score.

You are also ignoring physical attributes Acceleration, Pace, Agility and Balance all of which carry a higher weighting than the other attributes. At a guess it is between 2 and 3 times more, so that 1 point more in acceleration might equate to having 2 or 3 less points in other attributes for a given CA.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I know that but his stats add up to 91 while rooneys add upto 93 so i'd say they are kinda similar when they should not be and Bojan plays just as good as Rooney or better, Rooney does score a couple more goals than Bojan. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

lol adding them up has nothing to do with it!! What determines the quality of a player is their CA, and the PA determines how good they'll get.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Klimowicz:

i take positioning into account for all players. how many times do we hear commentators say stuff like "the goalkeepers positioning was excellent" and "the striker took up a good position in the box" in the same match?

positioning for defenders= being goal side of the opposing striker, playing him offside before the through ball etc. that would link with marking.

positioning for a striker would be opposite, although having 16 for positioning and 20 for off the ball is better than 16pos & 9otb.

an AMC who has a ppm of 'arrives late in opponents area' with a 16+ stat for positioning would be better at picking up loose balls from half clearances on the edge of the area while keeping himself from being marked by an opposing DM. obviously a DM with 16+pos would be better at picking up such an AMC with 16+ for anticipation/concentration etc.

i remember on old play-by-mail games that stats were 1-99, and the player had an overall rating, which was an average of these stats. this would fail in fm because rooney, for example, wouldn't have a high defensive stats rating (say 10/100 for tackling & marking), but he would obviously have high very attacking ratings, whereas gerrards overall game covers both attacking and defensive stats, so rooney might be an 85 overall when gerrard would be 90+. back then, however, both should be rated 89-99 at least. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Out of coincidence at the start of the game Rooney and Bojan both have positioning of 8, yes 8 for both, I don't think positioning has anything to do with attacking from what I have read, even reading the FM manual it does not mention that positioning is needed for a good striker. I thought 'off the ball' was a strikers positioning?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I know that but his stats add up to 91 while rooneys add upto 93 so i'd say they are kinda similar when they should not be and Bojan plays just as good as Rooney or better, Rooney does score a couple more goals than Bojan. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

lol adding them up has nothing to do with it!! What determines the quality of a player is their CA, and the PA determines how good they'll get. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Then how come Bojan plays better than Rooney at the age of 16?

off the ball is more to do with movement. getting into a position. i gathered that fm might not take positioning into account for strikers, but i played as a striker and you are taught to get into positions, combining both otb and pos.

you're right, it isn't essential for strikers in fm, but it should be imo.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by isuckatfm:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">originally posted by Navie:-

don't really have a clue what a weighting system is and don't researchers just say how good a player is for each stat? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A weighting system means CA equates to the sum of the attributes for a given position with a weighting applied to the given attribute. The higher the weighting for an attribute then the more CA it uses up.

Mathematically:-

CA = w1*A1 + w2*A2 + w3*A3 + ....

where w is the weighting and A is the attribute score.

You are also ignoring physical attributes Acceleration, Pace, Agility and Balance all of which carry a higher weighting than the other attributes. At a guess it is between 2 and 3 times more, so that 1 point more in acceleration might equate to having 2 or 3 less points in other attributes for a given CA. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is frying my brain :S

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Then how come Bojan plays better than Rooney at the age of 16? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He isn't better, as isuckatfm said, stats such as pace agility etc take up more CA than technical stats, and rooney is better in these areas than Bojan is. Also rooney is a big of a goal machine on fm, usually scores 30-40 goals a season on my saves. So i don't see how u can say bojan is a better play just buy looking at his stats

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Then how come Bojan plays better than Rooney at the age of 16? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He isn't better, as isuckatfm said, stats such as pace agility etc take up more CA than technical stats, and rooney is better in these areas than Bojan is. Also rooney is a big of a goal machine on fm, usually scores 30-40 goals a season on my saves. So i don't see how u can say bojan is a better play just buy looking at his stats </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think Bojan might score that many but he does get alot of 8's though.

on another note, Bojan is being very stubborn at the moment. i'm at (champions) arsenal, i don't need him, but he has been out of contract since summer 2010. he's still at barcelona, but every week i get the news that "contract rebel Bojan turns down latest Barcelona offer". whenever i offer a contract, he says he's not interested. 100K p/w and maximum bonuses/signing on fee etc hasn't persuaded him. barcelona won't release him, and i'd hate if chelsea or united get him.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Klimowicz:

on another note, Bojan is being very stubborn at the moment. i'm at (champions) arsenal, i don't need him, but he has been out of contract since summer 2010. he's still at barcelona, but every week i get the news that "contract rebel Bojan turns down latest Barcelona offer". whenever i offer a contract, he says he's not interested. 100K p/w and maximum bonuses/signing on fee etc hasn't persuaded him. barcelona won't release him, and i'd hate if chelsea or united get him. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think in real life Bojan would join you because I don't think anyone is that foolish to turn down an offer like that.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">But i'm still confused about how the stats work because I need a clear picture of how player stats work, I don't think for a game like FM 2008 they will be that simple. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm afraid i'm out of ideas to try and explain it. Maybe wait till morning and someone will give u a better explanation.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">on another note, Bojan is being very stubborn at the moment. i'm at (champions) arsenal, i don't need him, but he has been out of contract since summer 2010. he's still at barcelona, but every week i get the news that "contract rebel Bojan turns down latest Barcelona offer". whenever i offer a contract, he says he's not interested. 100K p/w and maximum bonuses/signing on fee etc hasn't persuaded him. barcelona won't release him, and i'd hate if chelsea or united get him. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

how u been doin in the league? Maybe try and unsettle him a bit first, compliment him etc?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> originally posted by Navie:-

But i'm still confused about how the stats work because I need a clear picture of how player stats work, I don't think for a game like FM 2008 they will be that simple. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My understanding of it is that they are situational. For example a midfielder plays a through ball to a striker. Attributes that affect if that striker scores:-

1. Finishing, Technique and Composure will affect whether he scores (PPMs can contribute aswell)

2. Off The Ball, Decisions, Anticipation, Acceleration, Pace will affect whether or not he made the right run and got there in the first place

3. If the defender stayed with him then Determination will affect if he gets to the ball first, and Strength and Balance will affect whether or not he can hold the defender off to finish.

On top of this you have a morale effect, condition effect and whether or not they use their weaker foot. And then there is the opposite attribute etc. effect of the goalkeeper on the other end of the situation. Then add into the mix a random element that prevents the game from becoming too deterministic and too predictable.

There have been many threads like this in a similar vein with gamers questioning the importance of attributes etc. but you have to understand that the difference in them isn't as great as you might expect. The best way to see this is to take an attribute that you can see in effect at every given moment. So set up a match managing Arsenal and Man Utd, set them both to the default 442 attacking and edit one of those teams using FM Modifier so that every player has 1 for pace and 1 for acceleration and the other so that every player has 20, 20 for those same attributes. You will then see the relative difference between the bottom of the scale and the top. There is a noticeable difference but it not the hare vs tortoise difference that some expect, and I would expect that the same applies to other attributes.

i'm in season 2010/11. i sucessfully got onto Dani Alves favoured personel, to the point where his agent asked me to make a bid. i hate spending more than 20M, but i heeded a RB. ended up paying £45M icon_frown.gif. one of the reasons why i stopped playing that gamesave for months.

unsettling didn't have a positive effect on Bojan however. i wouldn't mind if he signed a contract for less than i was offering at barcelona, i'd set all my players to brake his little legs if he signed for my rivals icon_mad.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by isuckatfm:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> originally posted by Navie:-

But i'm still confused about how the stats work because I need a clear picture of how player stats work, I don't think for a game like FM 2008 they will be that simple. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My understanding of it is that they are situational. For example a midfielder plays a through ball to a striker. Attributes that affect if that striker scores:-

1. Finishing, Technique and Composure will affect whether he scores (PPMs can contribute aswell)

2. Off The Ball, Decisions, Anticipation, Acceleration, Pace will affect whether or not he made the right run and got there in the first place

3. If the defender stayed with him then Determination will affect if he gets to the ball first, and Strength and Balance will affect whether or not he can hold the defender off to finish.

On top of this you have a morale effect, condition effect and whether or not they use their weaker foot. And then there is the opposite attribute etc. effect of the goalkeeper on the other end of the situation. Then add into the mix a random element that prevents the game from becoming too deterministic and too predictable.

There have been many threads like this in a similar vein with gamers questioning the importance of attributes etc. but you have to understand that the difference in them isn't as great as you might expect. The best way to see this is to take an attribute that you can see in effect at every given moment. So set up a match managing Arsenal and Man Utd, set them both to the default 442 attacking and edit one of those teams using FM Modifier so that every player has 1 for pace and 1 for acceleration and the other so that every player has 20, 20 for those same attributes. You will then see the relative difference between the bottom of the scale and the top. There is a noticeable difference but it not the hare vs tortoise difference that some expect, and I would expect that the same applies to other attributes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The 3 points you made seem a bit better as what happens I suppose because a striker does have to get into position then have stats to finish etc, oh yeah and then he has to win against the defender and beat his defensive stats, damn forgot about the defender icon_biggrin.gif

i'm in season 2010/11. i sucessfully got onto Dani Alves favoured personel, to the point where his agent asked me to make a bid. i hate spending more than 20M, but i heeded a RB. ended up paying £45M icon_frown.gif. one of the reasons why i stopped playing that gamesave for months.

unsettling didn't have a positive effect on Bojan however. i wouldn't mind if he signed a contract for less than i was offering at barcelona, i'd set all my players to brake his little legs if he signed for my rivals icon_mad.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I signed Micah Richards for £64 million on my last save but started a new game now, but I felt wasted and guilty spending all that especially on 1 player.

unsettling didn't have a positive effect on Bojan however. i wouldn't mind if he signed a contract for less than i was offering at barcelona, i'd set all my players to brake his little legs if he signed for my rivals icon_mad.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I signed Micah Richards for £64 million on my last save but started a new game now, but I felt wasted and guilty spending all that especially on 1 player. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh and thats why I started again because on my 4th season I got so many injuried in midfield I thought...why didn't I get 2-3 good midfielders rather than spending £64 million on Richards, I was well angry with myself as I lost the premier league, won nothing at all.

i only spent £45M because i had no need for any new players apart from an RB and i had a little under £100M for transfers. i prefer bosman & bargins, so i've saved a lot of money over the seasons. i won't bid unless united & co have.

Archived