An Australian Abroad

Spurs_NZ

INTRO:

After seeing many journeyman threads on here, I have decided to start my own European journeyman career. I am going to start off as an unemployed, 25-year-old Australian manager in England with Sunday League Footballer reputation and see where this career takes me. I haven't set any goals just yet, I'm just looking forward to see where this takes me and the challenges it will bring. I have loaded up all the leagues in Europe with a large database and will see what job offers come my way.

Leagues Loaded

Country             |  Lowest League
____________________|_________________
Austria             |  First Division
Belgium             |  Third Division
Belarus             |  First League
Bulgaria            |  "B" Group
Croatia             |  Second Division
Czech Republic      |  Second Division
Denmark             |  Second Division
England             |  Blue Square Bet N/S
Finland             |  First Division
France              |  CFA
Germany             |  Third Division
Greece              |  National B Division
Hungary             |  Division ll
Iceland             |  First Division
Ireland             |  First Division
Israel              |  National League
Italy               |  Serie C2
Holland             |  Jupiler League
Northern Ireland    |  Second Division
Norway              |  Second Division
Poland              |  First Division
Portugal            |  Second Division
Romania             |  Second Division
Russia              |  First Division
Scotland            |  Third Division
Serbia              |  First League
Slovakia            |  Second Division
Slovenia            |  Second League
Spain               |  Second Division B
Sweden              |  Second Division
Switzerland         |  Challenge League
Turkey              |  Second Division
Ukraine             |  First League
Wales               |  Corbett Sports Welsh Prem
____________________|_________________

After two days of unemployment, I received this job offer:

screenshot20120110at101.png

The wage budget would be good for my first club, and they still have space to work with. Although, they are half-way through their season and are currently sitting 12th out of 13.

I have decided to take on the challenge of managing SK Herd. Here is a brief summary of the club:

SK_Herd.gif

SK Herd

Sportsklubben Herd is a sports club from Ålesund, Norway. It has sections for association football, handball and swimming, and was founded on 22 August 1932. The men's football team plays in the Third Division (fourth tier) having been relegated from Second Division in 2011.

History:

Herd was promoted from the Fourth to the Third Division following the 2008 season. Ahead of the 2009 season they signed Lasse Olsen and Karl Oskar Fjørtoft for both playing and non-playing capacities.[2] In 2010 it contested a playoff to win promotion, and succeeded by beating Sunndal 8–2 on aggregate. In their first season in Second Division, they finished last with 17 points in 24 matches and was relegated.

(Information from Wikipedia)

The current table - We are currently sitting in 12th place, just out of the relegation spot thanks to goal difference, at just about the halfway point of the season.

Squad - The current squad is a bit all over the place with some good players and some really bad ones. The first thing I notice is the need for a good keeper and then I will work from there.

SK_Herd.gif

SK Herd - Norway - Second Division Group 2 - 2011 Season Review (Joined 7/7/2011)

Competition Summary

Norwegian Second Division Group 2 - 11th

I joined the team halfway through the season when they were sitting in 10th. I brought in some players to strengthen what was a weak squad but we were only able to put together some good performances towards the end of the season and it ended up being too little too late and we were relegated.

Results before taking over

Results since taking over

Norwegian Cup - Knocked out in 3rd round

Knocked out before I arrived.

Transfers, Squad, & Finances

Transfers - All players were brought in by me.

Squad [1] [2] - A large squad as I was unable to sell any of the unwanted players from the last managers reign.

Finances - Managed to finish the season with a profit.

Key Players

Dan Peter Ulvestad - One of the few players that was here when I arrived that I continued to use. Always put in a good performance.

Anders Eriksen - One of the new striker pairing that I brought in. Was a fairly consistent player and goalscorer.

Kjetil Bøe - The other new striker I brought in. Played him as a deep lying forward and he ended the season with the best pass completion in the league.

Career Summary

Year       Team             Country          League                   Position     Important Notes
===================================================================================================
2011       SK Herd          Norway           Second Division Group 2  11th         Relegated

Next Season

After a tough and disappointing introduction to my management career, I have stepped down from SK Herd and will be on the look out for a new job elsewhere. Hopefully the next job goes better!

My next job in football management is just across the border from where I last managed. I was offered a job with Sandvikens IF which I have taken. I have a whole preseason to build up my squad and I hope for some better results this time around.

screenshot20120111at111.png

Archived