Youth training schedules for full-time players?

If you want them to train full time (of course you do!) move them to the reserves on their 17th birthdays.

This is what I've done but I'm really struggling trying to keep everyone at my club match fit due to having too many 17-18 year olds in my reserve team

I'm talking from a FM 2011 experience here, is this a new feature?

If a 16-year-old player in the U19s signs a professional contract, doesn't he have a full-time training schedule and stays on the same schedule regardless where he is playing in the club? Not all leagues have reserve squads you know, in fact, the vast majority of them don't.

Also, there are many instances of players playing for the U19s but training with the first team.

It is a change for FM12. Players now train with the squad they play their games with, rather than with players with similar contracts.

I can see the sense in it but we could really do with a 'available for U18's' feature like we have with the reserves.

Try and loan a few of the more promising players out to get experience, if possible

This is something that really frustrates me I can never get many loan offers from clubs, the answer probably lies in giving them 30mins first team football but when you are trying to challenge for the title it really is not an option, the best I can manage is not have a GK sub but a youth player and stick him on when there's a 2/3 goal lead if I'm lucky.

You can only train your players in the U-18 team regardless if there full time on youth schedules... which sucks

It is a change for FM12. Players now train with the squad they play their games with, rather than with players with similar contracts.

I can see the sense in it but we could really do with a 'available for U18's' feature like we have with the reserves.

That would be the perfect solution :thup:

So I'd have to send all my players on a professional contract to the first team and then make them available for the U18/U19 team?

It sounds logical but it would really clog up the screen with so many players and those players are still not technically part of the first team.

As I've said, most players who are marked as big prospects by their club usually stay in their youth teams but train with the first team. Some tend to have youth+pro trainings while others just have pro trainings.

You can finds tons of examples like that, I've recently read an article about a 15-year-old goalkeeper in one European club who is training with the first team and getting experience from their three senior goalkeepers but he is regular with the youth team at the club. Having heard that, the U17 national team manager called him up.

You can't make players available for U18's/19's only Reserves. The player has to be in the Youth Team to be eligible to play for the Youth.

Youth Players on Full-time Contracts if in the U18's/19's will train with the fellow Youth, they have to be promoted to the Reserves to train with Senior Players.

Completely agree. Having said that, it is forcing me to be more disciplined with my squad and avoid hoarding so many youths. When March 23rd comes round I'm having to make difficult decisions about which youths that came through the previous year have to be released.

As a lower league manager focusing on nurturing youth, one thing I also do is try to keep an eye on the U18 cup fixtures for my youth squad. I put youths from my reserve and even first team squad into those games to ensure they win them and get drawn against Premier League U18 sides in later rounds, in the hope that those games, or getting to the final will give the youths a match experience boost. Of course I have to remember to restore them to their squads and training schedules straight after!

Archived