Back button settings (Old vs New)

Back button - New vs Old  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Back button - New vs Old

I use the new way currently, have tried both in FM12.

Yes I get frustrated if I have been going through about 10 screens on a player page, but find it is much better for me as I regularly go from transfer/contract offer to the attributes page/scout report etc and then can just click back to get there, which the old method doesn't provide.

I think both have benefits, but the new one just doesn't seem to be 100% workable yet...been having a play to see what ideas I can suggest to make it better as I assume this is the way it will be going in future.

I use the old. I have to say that I want to use the new, but damn SI really needs to make their UI more like Firefox with tabs and stuff. I only use the old one because the new one is almost an Alpha rather than finished product.

We can change back? Brilliant, will do that now.

I can't understand the benefit of the new way, the old one did the job perfectly. I like to click on a player, go through his various pages and then hit 'back' to go back to the shortlist or squad screen, not to go back through all those pages that can be accessed with one click anyway.

We can change back? Brilliant, will do that now.

I can't understand the benefit of the new way, the old one did the job perfectly. I like to click on a player, go through his various pages and then hit 'back' to go back to the shortlist or squad screen, not to go back through all those pages that can be accessed with one click anyway.

Pretty much this, you can access what you want with a click anyway, it makes no sense to me, at least they let you change it back.

• Administrators

Thought I'd hate the 'new' way when it went in but really do prefer it. Perhaps there coul be some functionality tweaks at some point (no idea how feasible that'd be mind) but think it does make sense like this. Also for those who end up pressing 'back' numerous times you do realise if you hold you can choose which screen to go back to right?

Thought I'd hate the 'new' way when it went in but really do prefer it. Perhaps there coul be some functionality tweaks at some point (no idea how feasible that'd be mind) but think it does make sense like this. Also for those who end up pressing 'back' numerous times you do realise if you hold you can choose which screen to go back to right?
What were the benefits of changing it in the first place?

This reeks of "if it's not broken, then don't fix it".

• Administrators

It wasn't working the way a browser should with screen history. The ability to hold and go back to any number of pages works quite well I find.

It wasn't working the way a browser should with screen history. The ability to hold and go back to any number of pages works quite well I find.
What is the reasoning behind treating it like a browser window in the first place?

The idea behind a "back" button is that "previous state" is useful to return to. For example, if I open up Google and search for something, then click one of the links, it is useful for me to return to the "previous state" that is the search results. This is because I may wish to pick another search result, or search again.

For a player's profile's tabs, however, I am not convinced that "previous state" is necessarily useful. I'd treat these tabs as an extension of a player's profile. An analgous browser example would be clicking a search result, which produces a webpage that is 4 screens long. I press "Page Down" three times as I read the webpage in a sequential manner. However, when I press the "back" key, I am not expecting the rough equivalent of a "Page Up" button press, requiring me to press "back" four times to return to the search results. This is because I have read the webpage and do not necessarily need to read it again. If you like, if you clicked all the tabs in sequential order, then (without loss of generality) you do not necessarily want to reread the information on the tabs, nor is there useful functionality that needs repeating in a similar way.

If, on a webpage, you wished to reread part of the webpage, or there was something you could functionally do on a previous part of that webpage, you would scroll up manually. The same analogy would be clicking a tab, then clicking it again later (without going "back").

For a "back" button to work, there has to be a fundamental change of state such that traversal in both directions makes some functional sense. However, changing "tabs" is very different to changing "pages" and I am not convinced that changing "tabs" warrants a "back" button. In fact, on a webpage, if I had a page with "tabbing" functionality (something like this: http://www.barelyfitz.com/projects/tabber/), I would not immediately consider "back" to be a useful thing to scroll "back" through tabs.

I didn't realize that there are so many people not knowing you could use the old back button settings. It's cool that they know now, cause I find the new style very frustrating (and I know the majority of old FM hardcore players are too) and it's great that SI gave us a choice on this.

Archived