CD trapped in a broken laptop - what can I do?

Spilt coffee on my laptop and it's ruined. FM cd is inside and there's no way to get it out. It's one of those cd drives that sucks the cd in (like a Wii) and there's no little hole to put a pin into.

It's only 3 months old too icon_mad.gif

Any suggestions? Nothing illegal please.

Spilt coffee on my laptop and it's ruined. FM cd is inside and there's no way to get it out. It's one of those cd drives that sucks the cd in (like a Wii) and there's no little hole to put a pin into.

Any suggestions? Nothing illegal please.

if it was any other CD i would suggest leaving it and taking it too a repair shop or contacting ther company you bought it from...

However!

seeing as its an FM disk..Grab the laptop,Smash it around alot and then carefully remove the disk from the scrap heap on the floor. icon_wink.gif

nah i would go for my first option

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Spanky:

Any suggestions? Nothing illegal please. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

take it back to store where you bought the laptop. I believe they know how to open it. Although I can not be sure if can they recover your laptop in case your hardware is damaged badly.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tottenham2k7:

if it was any other CD i would suggest leaving it and taking it too a repair shop or contacting ther company you bought it from...

However!

seeing as its an FM disk..Grab the laptop,Smash it around alot and then carefully remove the disk from the scrap heap on the floor. icon_wink.gif

nah i would go for my first option </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

lmfao...... i like the way you think!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Spanky:

It's Dell (Ireland) and they're ignoring my emails to repair it.

Any short-term suggestions? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I used a dell laptop before; chances are high that your CD/DVD drive is attachable meaning that you should be able to take it off completely(there should be a small trigger at the back and then you just pull it away from the laptop) and put it back to another Dell laptop which can actually work, then open the drive and take your precious disc.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Matt Jones:

Tweezers are always an option, but you *may* scratch the disk. You'd need to put a little tape around the end of each pincer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

try to use ptfe tape its nice and soft or just bust it open.

Spanky smashin it is probably a good idea and I never buy dell here in ireland, i used to work in their repairs/returns place in limerick for a summer job years ago, nothin got fixed properly.

My xbox went on fire before when i was playing madden 07 i just bust it open the disc was grand.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by postal postie:

doesn't sticking a needle in the hole just below the drive release the mechanism? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes that does release the lock on the tray, you just need to open the door to the cd drive then pull the tray out by hand. Had to do this a few times in the past on my computers and works a charm.

The simplest way to get at the disk without causing the disc dmage is to unscrew the case of the laptop then using either the screwdriver/alan key required to take the CD-ROM apart.

This will void all warranties & most likely make the drive unusable but the disk should remain unscathed. If you don't have the tool the CD-ROM needs i'd suggest a small chisel & hammer and with the drive flat on the largest side go through the case right at the edges until you can lever the case off.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SCM:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by postal postie:

doesn't sticking a needle in the hole just below the drive release the mechanism? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes that does release the lock on the tray, you just need to open the door to the cd drive then pull the tray out by hand. Had to do this a few times in the past on my computers and works a charm. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you actually reading the post...It is a slot-in drive....There is no hole to put the needle into....Jebus Christ.... icon_rolleyes.gif

Personally, I'd try carefully taking the laptop apart, as opposed to ripping it to shreds. Get a large white sheet, put it on the floor and put every screw/collection of screws, and parts, in an orderly "list" on the sheet, then when you've (hopefully) removed the disk from the drive, you can try and put the laptop back together in the reverse order by going up the "list".

I've done this with laptops, hard drives and video recorders, especially my current VCR - my old United tapes are forever getting jammed in it and chewed up. Sometimes I think my VCR supports Liverpool. icon_wink.gif

a laptop will never be broken (unless you actually use a hammer or whatho....)

If you can afford it, take it to your local inderpendant repair shop. ALWAYS cheaper than chain stores (my local one is £30 + any excess), just explain whats happened and ask em to put the disk to one side(they will play it for a few hours on end to start though...)

I know this as i did works experiance at such a place.....

Archived