Is it Just Me?

I've been desperately disappointed with the game this year, not only with a few of the engine problems in-game, which I can just about live with, but the coding.

Twice now, the most recent just this minute, i've reached January with my Derby side and once again the xml error regarding save games has cropped up and i've lost the save file after loading up the file. The first time I was distraut as i'd won all but one of my games and signed people such as Materazzi etc and thought i'd never manage it again. Managed to battle through oncemore despite my annoyance and once again its happened. A third time with a different side the xml errors cropped up just before a match and though I followed the instructions to this time to delete the settings this in itself corrupted my save. (SI warns that may happen with that one, but still, it adds to my frustration)

To be quite frank, I feel ripped off by the people who've coded this game. I'm not someone to come onto the internet and bitch & moan about a game, we all know that FM has many flaws/bugs but the general game is far too addictive to stop playing and so we look past them. I've bought several of the recent releases and i've never really had a problem with the coding, but this year i've barely been able to enjoy the game, and with money very short around Christmas it had been my one present to myself during the Crimbo period in terms of gaming. I might aswell have burnt the money. I do back-up but even falling a month behind with the save is alot of games to go through oncemore, it kills of any enjoyment replaying game after game.

Add that to the amount of ligament injuries I seem to be getting when the game does work and it's just a poor showing from whomever has coded this game. I actually managed to get 3 injuries a game for a month, ended with 15 player out with 3 month+ injuries, no differing in normal training or any such tampering with workload. Perhaps that one was a freak incident but I was getting a fair few in normal games too, a few too many.

While the injuries is probably just an injury creation problem that needs toning down a bit, the ruined saves have just ruined any enjoyment I had in this game. I'm so disappointed that it could be released in this condition, and i'm unsure if it's like this for everyone else or if it's just me having absoloutely rotten luck. I shalln't be playing it again until after the January Update, i'll give it one more go at that point in the hope the saves last.

So, is it just me? Or have others had this issue? This genuinely isn't meant as a trolling thread to hate on SI, i'm just gutted with my experience this time round and want to know if it's just me or if this has hit others so badly too.

For the crashes, you may have better luck getting help in the Technical Issues forum, but have you used any editor files or alterations in the editor that could be causing it?

All I can really suggest if you want to keep playing the game but hate replaying a month at a time is to go to a very frequent auto-save, if no-one can help you in the right forum.

Injuries have been discussed a lot here the last few days, in general there are not enough injuries in FM when compared to real life but of course any time it affects the user it is a big deal. A quick comparison to most real life injury lists should provide some comfort!

For the crashes, you may have better luck getting help in the Technical Issues forum, but have you used any editor files or alterations in the editor that could be causing it?

All I can really suggest if you want to keep playing the game but hate replaying a month at a time is to go to a very frequent auto-save, if no-one can help you in the right forum.

Injuries have been discussed a lot here the last few days, in general there are not enough injuries in FM when compared to real life but of course any time it affects the user it is a big deal. A quick comparison to most real life injury lists should provide some comfort!

The first time there were no editor files, the second time there were as i'd basically transferred all the players i'd signed in the previous one on free transfers back into Derby for the start of the season. Thought that could be deemed as fair considering what'd happened with the previous save.

It's just so gutting when I play through for a month or so, reach January, and the game is corrupted. I'd have to do it all again, and both times i'd started brilliantly. I don't like having to sit there and do it over and over again. I've never had this problem before, (a line i've used on a few women in my time) but with this year's i've just been buggered in terms of actually being able to get into a save.

On the injuries side of things I agree, you get alot less than real-life, but then they tend to be a month or a few week injuries when they do build up into double figures. I had an entire side and almost a full subs bench out until the January period by mid-october. Seemed a bit excessive! :(

I shall have to be saving a back-up after every game I suppose, I did have one saved a month before this one crashed, but I just don't want to play through the 8 games again as I know i'll lose a few despite getting 100% record in them. Managed to fluke a 3-1 win over Stoke in the League Cup and a 5-0 away to Forest (my Derby side all earned double wages that day!) so even if I replay the games to make sure I win them again and return to the point I was before with the same points, it'll take a long time and I just won't enjoy it.

So, so gutted with this game at the moment. Wonder if there's any point in keeping it downloaded at all, only the hope that the January Update will mean it'll stop happening is keeping it on my Steam account.

I've only had a handful of crashes in the the last three years: the first one I had produced a result similar the the OP where I had to replay a lot of matches and after that I set the autosave to weekly 5 file rolling, I manually save after most matches if I remember, and each month I renew it by saving as (that game name) Month, so that if I want to go back to a specific point I can too.

It is really annoying to have to replay loads of games, but the rule's the same for any computer game "save regularly".

Happened to me last month. I took a conference side to the premiership and finished 8th in the first year. ALL on the same day i got offered the Man U, Aston Villa and Newcastle job so i saved the game and continued to purchase pre season and went to bed.

The next day i tried to load it up and said it was corrupted???? WTF!!

I was real pi**ed off and gave up on FM for a while then i realised that i saved it prior to getting offered the other managers jobs so loaded up the save and tried again :)

I don't suffer from any technical issues with the game it runs fine the saves are fine and all that, at the same time I can't help feeling that I expected something more from the game. I can't put my finger on what it is that annoys me so much with the game it seems to be a million small things that adds up to one big disappointment and from time to time I find myself asking why I keep playing.

Archived