Signing a youngster a year later

I managed to beat real madrid and a few other giant spanish clubs to signing this great brazilian prospect, transfer doesn't go through until next year but i thought the risk was worth it! Has anyone ever done this before and it backfired on them?

I do it all the time, you have to get to the very best south american youngster before they turn 18 to have any chance, plus if you get them to agree to come to you when they are 16 or 17 you can usually get them on peanuts contract wise and it makes keeping them for years quite easy, especially if your a smaller club.

for me this is probably the best part of this game. signing excellent prospects and watch them develop in world class players.

i keep scouting (on top of my scouts usual tasks) youngsters in the major nations. i sign everything that has the potential to be in 1st team. quite often i compete with the big boys and win (probably because i always have a track record of helping youngsters

This did backfire on me. I got this Brazilian regen, stats looked great, scouts where mad for him but when I got him he came to me and said he was home sick.

Fair enough I thought, He can go back to Brazil to get himself together. When he came back he was fit to play about 2 games then kept getting injuries in training, matches, reserve matches and so on.

I sold him for about 500k profit to a league 1 side and he hasn't played as of yet due to injury...I sold him 2 years ago...

Unless you are guaranteed they will turn out to be another Messi or C.Ronaldo I stay clear of brazilians who are 17 and under ? I always tend to buy great talent to cover up that year wait and when the year is over, I got to sell the 1 I bought to use for the year.

I just signed a right-back from non-legue Crewe, the transfer was organised in September but I opted to let him stay until the end of the season. He absolutely destroyed the Conference Premier, scoring 5 goals, getting 7 assists and 15 man of the match awards. He's only 17 and has now linked up with me, but I've no doubt letting him stay and achieve amazing ratings helped his development.

Just checked Genie Scout and he has the potential to be the best player in the world in his position...

Archived