The new compare roles/best roles feature

One of my favourite additions to FM12 is the ability to compare positions for players in different roles in their reports. For example, who are my top 3 right-backs and where does this other player rank compared to them? I also like how they suggest a best position based on their stats. I would really love though, to be able to compare different roles as well as different positions. For example, I may have 5 CMs of varying quality each being more suited to a particular role. So one is best as a box-to-box midfielder, one is best as an advanced playermaker, etc. Personally I try to find a tactic and stick with it, rather than changing it depending on which players are playing. I prefer to play with a ball-winning midfielder and an advanced playmaker. It would be really helpful if I could compare each of my CMs based on their abilities as an advanced playmaker or whatever. Perhaps my 2-star CM is actually more suited than my 4-star CM? The differences between the different roles are large enough that it can get confusing sometimes. Of course, I could go to each of my CM's attribute pages and check each of their desired stats for a role against each other... But it takes time and my FM doesn't always run amazingly smoothly any more after a few seasons...

How do people get around this problem? Does anyone have this problem? Maybe this has been brought up before and who knows.. Maybe it'll appear in a future version? Or maybe there's already a fine alternative and I haven't found it yet?

Whilst FM has taken a step forward in the scout report regarding player position rating against your players, they still have some distance to go to include comparing player roles against your players and also multi-positional player scout reports still need to be advance to include secondary position ratings against your players.

The only thing you can do is to make a mental note of which player roles you need and which are the best players in your team with that role and keep scouting players until you find the desired role you want and then hopefully they will be worth buying

I think it's not too much to ask for a manager to at least know the basic skill set of his first-team squad. I don't think Ferguson has to stop too long to think about whether Tom Cleverly or Darren Fletcher makes the better ball-winning midfielder, and which the better advanced playmaker, when a substitution's needed

Do you just have a really bad memory, and cannot remember what role you signed a player to fill? A first-team squad has maybe 6CMs. That's not a lot of players to commit to memory.

Besides with the new i button next to player's names, you don't need to go to their panel in order to see their attributes.

Or you could just set up the selection screen so that it displays passing, creativity, tackling and workrate (etc., etc. ) and make your choice like that.

Or even more simply - the ones who can play DM as well as MC are generally the ball-winners, the ones who can play AMC as well as MC are generally the playmakers.

Archived