Broken ankle ruining his career?

I signed a striker for my Sunderland side his scored 38 goals in 38 games in the first season, second season he got 41 goals in 53 matches, third season he got 47 goals in 50 games. Then at the start of the fourth season he broke his ankle and was out for 4 months, he is now fully fit a few reserve games to up his match fitness. Now in the first team he has no goals in 6 matches and is playing pretty bad and his attributes are slowly dropping he is 28 years old.

This is not a complaint but has this injury ruined his career? I had two players break their legs at a similar age and they did not suffer anywhere near as much as this.

The worrying thing is I play one striker it's either him or Balotelli and I cannot afford to carry a player like him if he continues to play like this. My other players who broke their legs only took 2 games to start firing in the assists and the goals.

I have the World Club Championship now and a couple of easy games hopefully he can score a couple of goals. He used to score all types of goals but now seems to be able to kick the ball out of the stadium easier than he can in the back of the net.

I have seen this happen in FM2012. I was persisting with RVP through his never ending litany of niggling injuries, just like RL. Then after one calf tear too many his stats just dropped off a cliff and he was never the same player. After 18 months of watching him labor around the field with no pace and no touch I had to let him go.

You need a lot more time. If you're a professional football player whose primary assets are pace, agility, and touch - like a striker - and you are coming back from a broken ankle, you are going to need a lot more than 8 games to get back to your best.

I had Mbaye Niang at Stoke and he broke his leg, it really did finish his career it seems. I offloaded him that summer for 'just' £17m (had been getting offers of £25m the summer before) because in the 10 games or so he was back he scored once and wasn't looking at all the same player. Two years down the line he's only scored 4 goals and has had numerous other injuries to his legs during that time. I haven't seen extreme declines in players stats with injuries unless they get injured time after time, I had this with Wilfried, he eventually got one injury at about 27 that destroyed him as a top flight player.

The declination of attributes due to injury needs to be toned down a bit in my opinion, I reckon its been an improvement from 2011 but its still a tad extreme.

this 10x

all the fanboys saying "give it time" well his stats wont go up at enough speed at that age (28) so Acid your better off selling that player and finding a replacement. I've had to do this lik 3-4 times with players that come out of long term injuries and plain suck.

this 10x

all the fanboys saying "give it time" well his stats wont go up at enough speed at that age (28) so Acid your better off selling that player and finding a replacement. I've had to do this lik 3-4 times with players that come out of long term injuries and plain suck.

I'd love to see a feature put in where your training staff/physios offer advice on what level the player can be expected to return to. Will he lose a step? Full recovery? Is the injury likely to happen again?

this 10x

Calling people who disagree with you "fanboys" is just dickish and unhelpful.

I haven't had enough long-term injuries in FM12 yet (fingers crossed) to weigh in too heavily on the balancing question, but I will say that for a multi-faceted striker, a couple of points knocked off pace/acceleration can go a long way to creating a more complete striker who can score and contribute with a wider skillset than pure pace.

Of course, if your formation is set up purely for a striker with pure pace then his added hold-up play and long-range shooting will be scant consolation, but one-dimensional pacy strikers aren't hard to find, so replacements should abound.

Calling people who disagree with you "fanboys" is just dickish and unhelpful.

I haven't had enough long-term injuries in FM12 yet (fingers crossed) to weigh in too heavily on the balancing question, but I will say that for a multi-faceted striker, a couple of points knocked off pace/acceleration can go a long way to creating a more complete striker who can score and contribute with a wider skillset than pure pace.

Of course, if your formation is set up purely for a striker with pure pace then his added hold-up play and long-range shooting will be scant consolation, but one-dimensional pacy strikers aren't hard to find, so replacements should abound.

He isn't/wasn't about pure pace bit of an all rounder had 15-16 in most attacking attributes and could head the ball as well.

why not retrain him as a MC/AMC or a Winger ? left or right footed ? if he is left footed play him a bit on the right infront of goal and if he is left footed, then a bit on the left. Or maybe change your tactic, have 2 strikers. Have the left footed striker as STR and the right footed striker as STL. By doing that, if gives each striker more chance to score goals, it just opens up the goals and gives them more space to shoot into

why not retrain him as a MC/AMC or a Winger ? left or right footed ? if he is left footed play him a bit on the right infront of goal and if he is left footed, then a bit on the left. Or maybe change your tactic, have 2 strikers. Have the left footed striker as STR and the right footed striker as STL. By doing that, if gives each striker more chance to score goals, it just opens up the goals and gives them more space to shoot into

I did consider something like that but my two wingers and AMC are playing so brilliantly I cannot drop any of them. Even the back up players in these positions are class.

He had played 11 matches and only scored twice against Tokoyo. Just played his 12th game and I changed to a 4-4-2 and he scored 4 goals, hopefully this is the end of his drought and he can get to scoring some goals again.

Archived