Oh dear...I'm not so good at this on the iPod...

I've been playing this on my iPod 4G, managing Newcastle. I've played 6, and I've lost 5, and drawn 1, and we are bottom of the table. I've tried a few systems, but nothing seems to work. I've been trying to use formations which compliment my best players, and which compliment their preferred player roles (which I've set), but nothing seems to work. I've made some good transfers too. Is there any reason why I could be doing so much worse on this than I used to do on the PSP (which wasn't brilliant, but certainly wasn't bottom-of-the-table form)? The only other thing I can think of is that maybe the game's pre-season expectations for Newcastle were very low, as they were in real life. I'm desparate to get into this game again on the iPod, as FMH was pretty much the main reason I decided to get iPod (it's the perfect platform for it in my opinion). Maybe I should start a new game managing a lower-league team, to get a better feel for how the game works, and then start another new game with Newcastle?

Can you give us the tactics you've tried, starting XI and amount of transfers please?

For Newcastle you'd be looking at a 4411 with Cabaye as a DLP and Ba as a TM. Direct balls with pressing would work best.

The team suits an offside trap in order to press and maybe using counters due to the fast pace of some players in the team.

GK

FB-CB-CB-FB

WNG-BWM-DLP-WNG

APM

TM

Harper

Simpson-Collochini-Taylor-Santon

Gutiérrez-Tiote-Cabaye-Marveaux

Ben Afra

Ba

Yeah that's pretty much the lineup I've generally gone for, only 442 normally. I don't usually go for offside trap because it's a dangerous game to play. And I would normally go pressing. I'll check Cabaye and Ba's roles.

I'll also try not setting player roles for everyone.

Have SI done hints and tips for iPhone FMH like they have in the past? Or has anyone else done one?

• SI Staff

Newcastle were one of my 'test' teams during development strangely enough - I found a 4-4-2 suited them well .... and much as I tend to try and avoid tipping players "Hulk" was amazing for me with them ... other thing to watch out for is loading up too 'light' in midfield with them Marveaux, Ben Arfa and Obertan aren't exactly solid tacklers so bear that in mind when picking the team (and if signing anyone new).

Hi All

Brand new to these boards after years in the FM wilderness!! Kids, Jobs etc getting in the way.

Anyway, I've started playing the IOS version and have found great success with Newcastle using a 3-5-2 but pulling the CM back to DMC and using Tiote in this role. He actually won world player of the year in 2015!

You really need to buy another strong DC to play alongside Colo and Taylor and a decent striker to player off Demba Ba.

Thanks for the tips everyone. I'm considering taking a more methodical approach i.e. deciding for myself which player attributes are the most important for each position, and then working out which players I can sell, and which ones I need to buy based on that, so I can at least make sure I have backups for different kinds of players. Then there's things like ensuring you have good tacklers in central midfield, pacy wingers, one big and strong and one small and fast up front etc.

I changed things around a bit (still 442), having good tacklers in midfield, not concentrating on player roles so much, and having two different striker roles, and I've just drawn 3-3 against Stoke. Hard to tell if you could call that turning a corner or not really...

• 2 weeks later...

Things seem to be starting to look up a bit now. I switched to a 4-5-1 (balanced, pressing, mixed passing, normal tackling), with two wingers left and right, three Ball-Winning Midfielders in central midfield, and Ba (or Best now that Ba is injured) up front. And I'm finally starting to get some half-decent results.

• 1 month later...

I almost started a thread today on how easy I think FHM is. Not that I want to rub it in but I'm in my seventh season as manager of Thurrock. I started the saviour challenge and after successfully completing it, I have won back-to-back promotion to the Premier League - winning every league (bar the Championship finishing 2nd) along the way. In my first season in the Premier League, my objective was to survive relegation and I won the Premier League and League cup.

I happen to think FMH is too easy. I hardly change or tweak my tactics and training schedules. All of my best players have been brought in as free transfers or on loan, and I find it easy managing my finances.

I play a 4-4-2 diamond formation. The LB and RB are wing backs and my LM and RM are wingers. DM is a DLM and my AM is a APM. My two forwards are TM and AF. I play a balanced game with short passing, committed tackling and pressing.

Weird. I don't think there should be difficulty levels though. If I was able to play on easy then I probably wouldn't feel like I was achieving anything. It may be because I keep changing the system. Maybe I'll start again and stick with what I want to use, and maybe the players will get used to it.

And if you think it's too easy, maybe you could try turning the attribute masking on? I've never tried it myself, but it should make it harder in theory.

I think there are things you can do to make the game more challenging and attribute masking is something I shall definitely do when I start a new career. However, I don't think it will greatly affect the overall difficulty.

I agree that there shouldn't be difficulty levels. I just don't think the AI 'learns' and therefore reacts to my tactics adequately enough. I've played seven seasons of using the same tactics and yet I've won five titles and three cups without and real challenge. Maybe that's a limitation of the handheld version.

It's ok, I took PhillyStein's advice and went 3-5-2 with Tiote between defence and midfield, and it seems to be working quite well. Ba is out for 2 months unfortunately, but Best is working well as a complete forward up front.

Archived