Importance of Determination attribute

I read a story on a blog a few days ago and it was talking about how to develop young players the right way.

One particular part is left me with some questions. The writer says he would never let a player go out on loan unless his Determination attribute was atleast a 15.

What does this attribute have to do someone with good ability being able to perform on loan?

The writer explains how theres no reason to keep active players in reserves....either you sell them or put them on loan. But by following the determination criteria I'm going to have about 5 players who are between the ages 20-23 and have potential to be a part of the first team at some point who will be sitting in my reserves and getting no first team experience.

Does anybody have additional information/proof about this attribute thats crucial to a young players success on loan? Or should I send them regardless if they have ability? Thanks.

I think you should make your own mind up about it. There's not neccessarily a right and wrong way.

And obviously it depends at what level of management you're competing - no doubt this blogger is top flight ie. Arsenal or Barca.

Personally, I have never included determination as a factor when loaning out players.

That was also on SFraser's topic on developing youngsters, that's probably where the blogger got the idea on the first place.

Looking beyond the determination attribute the principle was that a player should have a good personality before going alone to ensure he develops from the game time he is getting at that level, and that's why you should normally try to tutor youngsters(unless they already have a good personality) before sending them on loan.

And before sending on loan check two things in the future club :

- Does he get a chance to play regular football. For example, there are one or two players better than him in the same position. So keep it in your youth squad instead cause he will have no chance to play.

- Does the club have equal or better training facilities and coach ? keep it in your club if not. it will be better for his development.

The most important thing to check when sending a youth out for loan is that the manager who he's going to has a good 'working with youngsters' attribute. That is more important than how high the players determination stat is.

Determination is very important, but that stat alone shouldn't be used to judge things like loans etc.

Yeah i was going to say, the manager who is going to be in charge of your players is very important, one of the biggest things i look at before sending players out on loan, that the squad he is going to be a part off and obviously the level of football he is going to be playing.

That was also on SFraser's topic on developing youngsters, that's probably where the blogger got the idea on the first place.

Looking beyond the determination attribute the principle was that a player should have a good personality before going alone to ensure he develops from the game time he is getting at that level, and that's why you should normally try to tutor youngsters(unless they already have a good personality) before sending them on loan.

Thanks for the advice.......so should I only try to tutor the players who have potential and a bad personality? And let the good personalities develop on their own since they have a good determination?

Can't remember SFrasers article but for me professionalism is the important stat for how players develop, not sure determination plays a big part in development. Determination is used in and between games, how players play during a game and how they respond to setbacks like losing.

I always send players out if offered first team football since that will help more than reserve team action in my opinion.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/275644-The-SFraser-Memorial-Thread-Links-to-all-the-discussions-and-guides.

SFraser, who sadly passed away last year, had a number of threads on aspects of the game, which can all be found via the link above. "A Guide to Developing Youngsters" is in here and is an interesting read, but at the end of the day it's still just one opinion on the subject and is not necessarily the exact way to go.

One thing I took from this was the Determination attribute, and I have since stopped signing any players with a low value here, regardless of their other attributes.

Thanks for the advice.......so should I only try to tutor the players who have potential and a bad personality? And let the good personalities develop on their own since they have a good determination?

That's what i normally do, if i have a regen/youngster that is already resolute, he doesn't need tutoring unless i have a really good tutor since he already has a good level of professionalism and determination and should develop fast from the gaming time he will get while on loan.

The ones that have low determination and are generally just "balanced" should be your first targets for tutoring, this guide is probably slightly outdated but it should give you a good idea of the type of personalities that are "good" or "bad"

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/213536-Tutoring-results-test

That's what i normally do, if i have a regen/youngster that is already resolute, he doesn't need tutoring unless i have a really good tutor since he already has a good level of professionalism and determination and should develop fast from the gaming time he will get while on loan.

The ones that have low determination and are generally just "balanced" should be your first targets for tutoring, this guide is probably slightly outdated but it should give you a good idea of the type of personalities that are "good" or "bad"

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/213536-Tutoring-results-test

I was thinking about putting a link to StormenDK's thread and then realised you already had - as far as i can see fm12 has not changed much from this one (fm11), it provides a definite clue about any players hidden attributes and i still refer to it on fm12.

Archived