A simple career for a simple man...

mike82

So, I've not posted in the careers bit before... but I feel like I have a story to tell so tell it I shall. I'm not currently on the computer with my save on so no screenshots to start with. And I'm not sure what readers will be wanting from me so I'll just waffle on and see if it feels right to people.

Looking through the leagues, thinking of my locality I plumped for Preston. A team with a lot of history... the stadium 20 minutes up the road from me... and a mascot who has been o into the school where i work... it just felt right.

Having just come down from the Championship PNE had some big aspirations. A huge wage budget and some players very much overpaid, dreams of returning straight back up and an aging staium with poor facilities I certainly felt like my work was cut out for me.

Things started really well... sitting in 2nd place behind Orient for a long stretch of the season. Then the O's capitulated leaving a gap at the top for some team to take over. Preston's place I thought.... wrong. We too collapsed. Aging players gave up... young players lost the dream of a return to 2nd tier football... and my board thought sod it... he doesnt need any money for his squad.

I decided to try and set up PNE as a youth academy, and as the end of season rolled away from us (with Preston having won the Johnstone's trophy - not that my board cared!!!) and have losing out to a playoff final place to Charlton I finally felt I had a grip of my squad. I knew all the players by name and face... I had a streamlined squad with an exciting youyth development system and a strong back room team.

Into the second season we stride with confidence and hope. An outstanding preseason see us undefeated and an encouraging start to the season sees us just outside the playoff places with 2 games in hand. If we won those two games we would be top. Maybe that was my downfall.... I considered them points in the bag.... a rookie error. We lost both games in hand leaving us outside the playoff places. Then a 7 game unbeaten run sees us keep pace and just creep into the bottom playoff place. November 15th came as did an away trip to St. Mary's... a Southampton side underachieving... and us unbeaten in 7.

We go down 2 - 1... not too bad I thought... could have been worse... back to the training pitch.

I get a phone call on the team bus... SACKED!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shocked is not the word!

I had cut the wage bill... secured exciting youngsters.... sorted a good scouting network... kept them in the black.... and this is what I get!

A return to deepdale sees my desk cleared for me... and some dodgy Spanish man grinning at me from behind MY (now his) desk! I'll be leaving then!

Obviously a November sacking is not good. 18months if that in the job... Christmas approaching.... a young family to support.... oh dear.

Job applications come and go... I try not to get desperate.... I try not to apply for Norwegian jobs.... or Russian jobs... but needs must. Then I spy the Bury job available.... hmmmmm Bury.... League 2.... I could do something there. In goes my application and bingo they want me.... practically biting my hand off.

My pen goes to paper.... then a text .... LEAGUE 1 DERBY SACK MANAGER. My pen leans back from the paper.... hmmmmmmmmmmm

I make my excuses and tell Bury I need to think it through for a week. As soon as im in my car I ring Derby. Yes I'm interested... Yes I'd love to work there.... Follow in the footsteps of Clough senior (dnt mention Clough junior to them dnt mention clough juniour to them).

We discuss terms and now here I am... 1.5 million to spend and sitting above a very spanish PNE!!!!!!!!

Well, that's my story so far... let me know if its along the lines of whats needed.... now to persuade a certain david goodwillie to head to Derby...

Archived