Get the map out love, were off to Europe.

nastymiller

FM Career Update of my journey in Europe, no plans of who to manage and when as I'm just going to go with the flow.

Using FM2011, all European Divisions and Leagues loaded and current patch I will be starting off un-employed with a Sunday League Reputation.

I will be starting off with monthly updates and develop these updates based on feedback from you guys.

Portuguese best ever team!

Best11.png

Thanks Deisler26

The one and only offer I received, was from Clube Futebol Canical of Portugal and of course I grabbed it with both hands.

Joboffer.png

Looks like a first season of bringing players in on loan as the previous manager had been a little giddy with his wage bill.

contract.png

That said, a one year contract may well see me not have the chance to bring in my own players.

background.png

The exciting part of the appointment is the trophy cabinet waiting to be filled, and with just a 1,000 all-seater stadium, its a club that I can help build.

Looking at the squad I had, it was clear to see this was to be one hell of a long hard slog, and with my top youth player (YP1) being half a star I had decided in my mind that this would be a season to put on my CV.

Below are my top 5 current players, and the 5 with the best potential - which are the same!

Current:

Current5.png

Potential:

Potential5.png

Pre-Season Update:

Some say you have a good pre-season, you will have a poor season - hopefully this will not be true for me as 7 home friendlies resulted in 4 wins, 1 draw and 2 defeats, all against non-league opposition.

On the playing front I tried my hardest to bring players in on loan, but I failed - so the season starts with the squad I took over, one which is not strong enough to stay up. I did however have success in bringing an a couple of backroom staff, 33 year-old Tiago Almeida came in as my youth coach. I didn't need one for this season as none of the youth players had much potential, but it was more to do with me having a slight feeling that I could do the impossible and keep the team up. By having a youth coach, I was hoping the local parents may just allow a few 'gems' through our doors.

Another coach in was Ricardo Brandao, at 34 he was un-proven but so was I, last in was a 34 year old scout named Joao Azevedo. I was not expecting much from him, but I needed another scout to keep the other lad on his toes.

After agreeing the squad bonus of £1.4k for a league win and £4.2k to be shared out, this was something more than a token gesture - as if we were going to win anything. The only thing anyone at this club was to win no doubt, would be the chairman during the re-elections, I mean he was at the helm when the club was promoted from non-league last year, so he pretty much walked on water round these parts. But no, he didn't a local rich fan won the race - maybe some of his £16k personal fortune had helped him in some way.

I was expecting a slight change to the budgets with the new man in charge, but no - he told me I had his full support and at this stage things stayed the same - great!

So with not much more to do, I was looking forward to the start of the season and a first round cup game at home to non-league Sport Clube Os Dragoes Sandinenes. I wanted a cup run more than anything else, I needed a good start to my reign and some money from gate receipts.

Finally the club captains were introduced to the media, Thierry being first choice and Celso Varandas as vice-captain.

It's a tough job in Portugal due to the crazy promotion system and lack of funds. I couldn't get any loans when I was there as no one good enough wanted to join, even from parent clubs. £600 p/w is not a lot of cash to go around a 20-25 man squad. I think I got luck at Vianense with a budget of £2.4k p/w. Good luck nastymiller

Thanks for the info ShyBaldBuddhist, and yup it's a tough old signing on country.

September 2010

The media were expecting the club to fight to the end in regards staying up, 13th out of 16 clubs is where they expected the club to finish off. With the bottom four clubs going down, it too was the position I could see the club ending up.

I tried to bring a few loan players in, I didn't want to go more over the wage budget even though the club would allow me to - but even when I did agree %'s to pay players wages, the players turned the move down.

Things may change however, as I have managed to guide the boys to the 3rd round of the cup with wins over a non-league club and even a win against a club a division higher than me - away from home too. And third round draw that see's me travel to a struggling team a division above me, a fourth round tie may well be within our grasp and a dream of a trip to either Benfica or Sporting.

The league saw three games played, a couple of draws and a single defeat and 13th place was exactly what the papers expected. I doubt this tied in with a great cup run is what the fans expected from this English nobody, but a poll in the papers said my job was stable and if anything had become slightly stronger.

Four league games and hopefully a successful cup game was in store for the fans during October and I was really looking forward to it.

October 2010

A poor month in all honesty, still looking for a win and slipping down the league a place - add to this a 1-0 defeat in the cup would mean watching the 4th round cup draw with one eye closed hoping our winners didn't pull a massive club away from home out of the bag.

With no luck on the transfer front and out of the cup, the season was all about staying up!

Four more games this coming month, and a first win is a must.

November 2011

One draw and three defeats saw me slip to the bottom of the league and now five points away from safety, add to this Valter is now out for around 5 months with a calf injury - the season is only going to end in misery. Adding to the misery, the club missed out on £110k's worth of gate receipts - what a difference this would have made!

Carlos Manuel has been offered to clubs, but no-one is sniffing round him and I still can't get any players to join the club.

So moving towards the half way point of the season, we are still looking for a win and players coming in or out.

Unbelievably, the board are still backing me and are happy with what I am doing! Maybe because I am still trying to move the club forward, with the same players playing week in week out I decided to bring a couple of physios in to try and keep the squad fit.

Let's hope some Christmas spirit will be shown next month.

December 2010

HalfWay1Results.png

So the end of the year came as I expected, four defeats on the bounce has now taken our poor run to 6 in a row and 15 games in the league without a win.

HalfWay1.png

Rock bottom, the board are happy with me but won't give me any money, won't back me with getting a parent club, won't allow anymore coaches to join the club.

So we continue to just turn up for games, knowing we will get beat. A frustration of mine is the fans want a change of formation - when I do, the coaches tell me we should revert back to what the players know.

This season was always going to be one of going down, I won't walk away from the club, but I hope that this relegation on my record will not do too much damage to my future.

January 2011

craigswfc - I very much doubt it mate, ShyBaldBuddhist - I pretty much think things will be over by March mate and abulezz, I will be happy with a win and a signing!

A new year and more of the same, however we did manage a draw in one of the three games played this month.

Something that has made me laugh is the newspaper reports that the chairman is worried that I will be leaving at the end of the season, they don't need to be worried as they will no doubt be sacking me.

On a positive, we did find a parent club - this being Leiria of the top division, however no players want to join my club. Another positive was that of Alexandre and his 3rd placed goal of the Month, a slight ray of sunshine in otherwise a shocking season.

I also noticed this month a crazy loan that was taken out on the 01.08.2010, 5 years of paying £11 a month!! Just show's what a crazy club I have joined!

January 2011

I also noticed this month a crazy loan that was taken out on the 01.08.2010, 5 years of paying £11 a month!! Just show's what a crazy club I have joined!

haha sounds a good challenge by the crazy club

February 2011

craigswfc - yes, a crazy club, one that think i'm doing a great job, yet I think I'm doing pants!!! deltablue - that sums it up mate :-)

Finally a win! A win, a draw and a couple of defeats still see's me bottom of the table, but the board are saying my job is more and more secure! I have decided that when I have finally been classed as 'relegated' then I will apply for every job going. Don't want to get to the end of the season, go down and then be given the boot.

Still trying to bring players in, still trying to move players out with no luck. May as well wait for the inevitable to happen and see where I end up.

March 2011

I wonder if being relegated on the 20.03.2011 is a new Portuguese record? Three defeats on in the month saw the club go down and as such leave just three more spaces to be taken.

Unbelievably the board still thought I was doing a good job, this must have been my 3rd round cup performance.

With one eye on the job centre and one on trying to get at least another win before the end of the season, April was upon me and five games before the end of the season.

No pressure, so bring on the future.

Hey, I also player in FM11 for this club. Got 11th position in the first season somehow, but left in the second season after 12 matches, having only 5 points. The problem was that player skills decreased very heavy and no good players wanted to join the club.

April 2011

ThePlaya - I may give this team another blast after I end this career, however this time I will still try to sign people and go further into debt and see what happens, deltablue - I hope this next team will be a little better in regards to wage budget etc, as I doubt I will get chance to join a club already in a league.

A draw and four more defeats ends with the team rock bottom.

Endofseason1.png

Shocking results, never really getting hammered week in week out, but just not good enough.

Endofseason1Results.png

Looking forward to going on holiday and waiting for the phone to ring for my next job. In the meantime I need to look at the season as a whole and close this chapter of my career.

June 2011

I was excited about what came my way, a small club named Lower Maze of the Northern Ireland Second Division.

Joboffer2.png

Unlike my last job, I had a budget and everything I did would affect it - great!

contract2.png

Another one year contract and on very little money, but I saw this as a chance to build my reputation back up.

background2.png

What an opportunity, what a chance to build this club for as long as I want.

delatblue - deffo going to stay here for as long as I like, it's going to take an offer of some type to move me on, craigswfc - these seem a decent club, they are allowing me to build from scratch, SRL88 - thank you and ShyBaldBuddhist - I really don't think this season can be any worse than last season.

Currently the squad is not too bad, and not much should really need to change to stay up - which means the players I do bring in should push us mid-table.

Current:

Current52.png

Potential:

Potential52.png

July 2011

Just five days to the start of the season, and pre-season on pitch has not been great, two games, two defeats against non-league opposition. However, as is the norm (I hope), a poor pre-season means a great season!

Been busy building the back-room as well as bringing a few players in who I feel will add to the squad and keep the club up.

Back-room has seen Jason Dair come in as my assistant manager, 37 years old from Scotland. A couple of coaches have come in, both English - one a coach and the other a youth team coach as I feel those young players could flourish under good guidance. Finally a couple of scouts, again both English.

On the pitch, I have managed to bring in four five star players - this doesn't mean they are world-class or anything, it just means they are great compared to what I already have.

Players brought in are:

29 year old Colin Callacher who is a left sided midfielder, has over 70 games to his name during his time in the Northern Ireland First Division.

23 year old Darren Doherty who's main position is a right back, but can also play as a defensive midfielder and centre of the park - a gamble as he only has 4 games to his name, last season in this division.

Anto O'Rourke who is a 24 year old cente midfield player who made his only 19 appearances last season in this same division.

Finally Aaron McPartland a left back at 26 years old, another who made his appearances last season in this division - 5 in total.

Summing up, I am just building the squad with free transfers, local lads, who will be happy with the chance. If I can bring 20 to 25 players in, then this should push each other to keep the club up and then let me build next season.

Currently chasing a new striker, and hope to have him in before the season kicks off.

August 2011

Season has started with a defeat and a draw whilst my many signings start to settle, a total of 10 players have arrived at the moment and I still have £1.8k a week to spend on wages.

Before looking at the new signings, I took a look at the fixtures for the month and just two league games and an away League Cup 2nd Round tie against Crusaders - this should give me a slight idea of what my squad will be like, anything less than a three goal defeat and I will be happy.

New Signings:

29 year old Steven Whoriskey - right sided midfield player who can also play as an attacking right midfielder or striker - Played 28 times last season with 5 goals and 6 assists, so I'm looking forward to his performances this season.

30 year old Ryan Marsh - Striker who can also play as an attacking midfield player or centre of the park - no history as such to speak of at the moment.

Philip Millar who is 29 years of age - brought in as a central midfield player, but can also play right side and also right and central attacking midfield - Has 40 plus appearances to his name.

Barry Baggley - 29 years old, not only a great name, but a left sided midfield player who can also play centre of the park and attacking midfield and left of the pitch - 24 games to his name.

23 year old Jonjo Brewster - a young centre half with just a couple of games to his name.

28 year old Gareth Galway - another centre half who played 11 games last season.

A load more players will come to the club during this month, at least another five I am hoping.

September 2011

A steady if not spectacular month saw a win, a draw and a defeat in the league and a very close 1-0 defeat away at Crusaders - a result that gave me a lot of confidence with my target of stopping the club from going down.

Just three players in through the doors this month, and I decided to go for a young goalkeeper that would be part of the team for years to come - £5k was the fee I had to pay to Crumlin Star for their 21 year old keeper Tim Horn, a product of the Everton youth team, he didn't make it in England but did play 36 times over the last couple of years for Crumlin Star. Looking forward to him being part of my best eleven team for years to come.

Pelly Ruddock, the 17 year old Boreham Wood youth came as one for the future - doubt we will see him for a few years but I was confident of keeping the club up, I decided to also build for the future too, a centre half.

Finally 36 year old Danny Chapman was brought in - my scout did a job on me with this one, five star he told me - one star in fact! Experience is about all this man has left - 236 games and 10 goals within all levels of the English game. I would need many injuries to the centre of midfield or the fact four if he was to make a debut.

Currently playing a 4-4-2 formation as my assistant manager hasn't really had chance to look at the players we have and decide upon anything - most clubs set up to play against 4-4-2, so its all down to how good the players coming in can be. Still looking for more players with the centre of defence being a priority.

October 2011

Ever had the feeling your not good at anything? Im starting to question my ability at the moment as this past month has been a nightmare, getting knocked out of the cup at home 1-0 to a non-league club (ok the press said I was underdogs, but I feel we should have still won). A draw and three defeats have come this month, I'm feeling a little down at the moment, with a tinge of 'it can all get better'.

I still have a load of money to spend on players (well a load as the wage im paying is around £30 a week on most players, and all the clubs I have played so far have been near the top and been on three match unbeaten runs, so I have to play a couple of poor clubs in the coming months. If after these games I am still bottom, then I reckon I may be in for the chop - that said, the chairman is happy with me.

Brought 5 players in this month, a couple at £5k each (tweaked the wage budget to sign them, so £15k I have spent on three players), I feel the volume is there with the squad I have built (18 players, all good enough for the 2nd division), maybe it's now time to bring a few players in with 1st division pedigree.

See how I go this month before deciding on the type of player I bring in I think.

November 2011

A win, a draw and a defeat for the team in the league with a win and a defeat in the cups.

Another five players have joined the team - with my main signing is 38 year old Andy Liddell - £1 a week wages and a 5 year contract!!! Brings bags of experience to the club with over 500 games to his name and over 100 goals. Hoping to get him to join the backroom staff when he decides to hang his boots up.

Starting to bring players in that are not just good enough for the 2nd division, but also leading stars - and with still a large amount of wages to spend, within the next couple of months I take the signings to the next level that is 1st division players.

December will be a key month for me.

Archived