2 tactics to conquer your league and CL on 8.0.2 (4-4-2 and Counter)

Ok guys i have been playing FM since 2006 but this is happening the first time. A month ago i have started a Valencia game on 8.0.2. Because i am working, i am not playing the game so often. Yesterday i finished the first season champions in LaLiga without a lost! Here is the screnie, http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/2325/spanishfirstdivisionleaxa0.png

there you will see i am beaten 3 times but it was my last three matches beacuse i had started with my B teams due to the CL final to rest my players. This means i had already guareented to win the title while there are 3 matches left!. If you play in LaLiga ,you will know that it is really hard to win titles there especially in ur first season unless you are not Barca or Madrid or saving before each game and reloading in case you loose which i didnt do a single time.

Anyway here i will explain the tactics. But beware, use these tactics firmly according to the conditions explained below each one. Thats the most important thing!

4-4-2: This is possibly the most attacking tactics u can find on this forum. You get the most from all your players except your 2 CBs and GK . Unbeliavable flowing, attack football, a goals galore tactics. The CM in the right slot is important, i put Silva there, he creates wonders! This is a classic 4-4-2, attacking from both wings and from the middle. And you keep the possesion because of your fullbacks supporting the CMs from behind and put pressure on your opponent.

Conditions:

1) If the odds favour you heavily like 1.8 to 4.5 , for example in your home matches.

2) If you are slight favourites like 2.2 to 2.7 , dont risk it and use the counter tactics below

3) If you are losing with counter tactics , turn to this tactics.

4) If you must win, like a second leg of Euro Cup match etc.

Here: http://www.2shared.com/file/3002257/509e58b9/4-4-2__Valencia_Feb_2008_.html

Screenshot of the tactics: http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/3295/valenciacfsadvalenciataka4.png

Counter: This is a 4-5-1 counter attack tactics inspired by Mourinho icon_biggrin.gif With this, i beat Barca 2-0 in their home, i think this is enough to describe this great tactics. Your main attack force is your wingers running both sides of your lone striker. You never loose with this tactics, at least i didnt so far. This was the only way to survive against the likes of Barca, Madrid, ManU in CL etc. The AI really cant create any chances, and with counters and a fast striker, you can easily beat them . Again choose your CM in the right slot from your most creative midfielder.

Conditions:

1) If you are underdogs

2) If you are playing against Barca icon_biggrin.gif (yeah thats true!)

3) If you want to protect your score advantage (later in the match)

4) If you are slight favourites (e.g. 2.2 to 2.7 etc)

Here: http://www.2shared.com/file/3002268/eb0c16eb/Counter__Valencia_Dec_2008_.html

Screenshot of the tactics: http://img385.imageshack.us/img385/8549/valenciacfsadvalenciatawf6.png

Like i said, using the combo of these two tactics i have won LaLiga which i didnt really expect and reached the final of CL in which i lost to Barca on penalties unfortunately. Ä° would really love to see you people trying these two as i said acccording to conditions and succeed.

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will test these tactics this week mate. Good layout of the post and the tactics look good. icon14.gif

I will be testing them in England with Newcastle United. Do you think it will work with them, because they don't quite have the same amount of quality as Valencia but have similar type strikers to what you are using (Owen and Martins)

Did you use them in pre-season to get your squad used to them, or did you let your assistant take charge of friendies?

Do you make tweaks to the tactics during the game, or do you just switch between the two?

What are the important attributes for players in each position?

Originally posted by ObaMartins09:

Will test these tactics this week mate. Good layout of the post and the tactics look good. icon14.gif

I will be testing them in England with Newcastle United. Do you think it will work with them, because they don't quite have the same amount of quality as Valencia but have similar type strikers to what you are using (Owen and Martins)

Did you use them in pre-season to get your squad used to them, or did you let your assistant take charge of friendies?

Do you make tweaks to the tactics during the game, or do you just switch between the two?

What are the important attributes for players in each position?

Your strikers are quality, mate, i am sure you will succeed. i advise you to play with Martins in counter tactics, i am sure he will cause a few surpise icon_biggrin.gif

i used them in pre-season but i think there is no problem for the squad to getting used to the tactics. They just work fine together.

i never tweak the tac during the game, just switch between two like you say. The most important thing is here reading the conditions really carefully.

In both tacs, the CM in the right slot should be your best midfielder with high creative, technical stats. THats the key because he is the only one with creative freedom setting to "much". Others are all medium. And it would be great although not necessary if your CMs have good long shoots.

i suggest you watching the game during playing with 4-4-2. You will get really amazed mate like watching Arsenal. icon_biggrin.gif

Been struggling a bit after a few years with Peterboro. we are in Championship and can't find a tactic to start the push for the playoffs.

Finally!

Started first game with counter and switched to the 442 in closing mins to score and win 1-0 away at QPR.

Then home 6-1 versus bottom placed Swindon

Then lost 2-1 away to 5th placed Swansea. My fault. Went 1-0 up, they then had man sent off but they continued to attack, they got late penalty and I decided to attack their 10 men. Lastminute goal!!!

Then 4-1 win home to Leicester (15th) and 5-1 home win against Ipswich (7th).

Players ratings through the roof.

Love it so far!

i am happy for you mate. i think this is the best way to get the most enjoy from FM. Looking for a diablo tactics and playing with it in every game just kills it. And i bet you will loose at least one match while doin that. But i think using my tactics and schema you have a serious chance of finishing every tournament without beaten and at the top 3. And i am sure this is the way how real managers do it in irl .)

I'm playing with Bayern atm and this tactic is working wonders. I've won the German title the last 2 years in a row (by a good 15/20 points).

this is my 3rd season now and things started off really badly. I stuck your tactic on and here's the results:

17164354ak0.jpg

Forget the pre-season games or German Cup, I was messing around with players and tactics as the games were easy. When it got around the playing league games I struggled to score goals. The 0-0 with Dortmund was particularly bad (Dortmund are relegation favourites in my current game).

Anyway I'm sticking with this tactic for now. The 3-0 against Lyon was a brilliant result! Winning games for fun it seems. The 1-1 against Frankfurt wasnt a bad result tbh. They finished runner up last season and have some good players.

Originally posted by jeune5:

Thanks for upload mate!,

do you think it's going to work for Leeds united?

I am in the middle of the seaason, and I always lose in away games.

Do i need to apply any OP?

mate you should apply `Counter` in away games if you are not clearly favourites..

I am using the 442 counter formation with my Home United team in the Singapore League. The players I have aren't that great but I am glad to say its working pretty well. So far I have played 11 games with 6 won, 4 drawn and 1 lost. I have scored 22 goals and conceded only 8 and I am 2nd in the league now. Good job on the tactic.

tried this tactic with rangers 1st season, not won a game yet... creating very few chances and my fullbacks are constanly out of position!!! im more than half way through the season and will be trying something else, counter does not produce counter attacks and the home one does not produce a brand of football i like, POOR tactic son.

half a season?? ....Rangers??... No win?? whats happening man?!! Guess it shows that one tactic don't work for all.

Followed my demolition of Charlton with a unlucky point at the Boro and a comfortable home win (3-1) against Blackburn. Still early days - the real test comes with the big boys!!

Well I played another few games with this tactic with my Bayern team. I must say, nothing but brilliant results.

League - Won with 7 games to spare! (19 wins in a row and counting now)

German Cup - Won the final 4-0 against Shalke!

Champions League - Currently at semi-final stage! Beat Valencia 6-2 on agg. in the last 16, and beat Milan (holders) 5-1 on agg in the quater finals.

This is unbelievable, my Bayern team struggled to get out of the group in the previous years... now we could win it!

UPDATE:

Just won the treble with Bayern. Beat Man Utd. 4-2 in the home leg of the semi final. Played the counter tactic in the second leg at old trafford and got a 3-3 draw. Then beat Juventus in the final 3-1 (again using counter).

This tactic is brilliant! A fantastic treble with Bayern with all sorts of new records set. icon_biggrin.gif

I would like to say a big thank you to polat for posting his tactic. You have made a believer out of me anyway! I decided to try the counter-attack tactic with my Preston side against Chelsea in my FA Cup quarter-final. Here is the result:

2yxk55x.jpg

UNBELIEVABLE!!!

I should also point out in my game Chelsea are top of the Premier League and have been on an unbeaten run for ages. My Preston side are in the Premier League but the squad is still pretty poor so this result has truly shocked me.

Cheers for the tactic mate!

Originally posted by Mr Charisma:

I would like to say a big thank you to polat for posting his tactic. You have made a believer out of me anyway! I decided to try the counter-attack tactic with my Preston side against Chelsea in my FA Cup quarter-final. Here is the result:

2yxk55x.jpg

Mate, thats just great! Which one did you use? i guess it was Counter, wasnt it because Preston is much weaker than Chelsea anyway icon_smile.gif

UNBELIEVABLE!!!

I should also point out in my game Chelsea are top of the Premier League and have been on an unbeaten run for ages. My Preston side are in the Premier League but the squad is still pretty poor so this result has truly shocked me.

Cheers for the tactic mate!

Originally posted by riceybhoy:

tried this tactic with rangers 1st season, not won a game yet... creating very few chances and my fullbacks are constanly out of position!!! im more than half way through the season and will be trying something else, counter does not produce counter attacks and the home one does not produce a brand of football i like, POOR tactic son.

Not won a game? Sorry mate but i think you are joking beacuse you are Rangers and even if you had played with 11-0-0 , i am sure you would have won at least one game! icon_biggrin.gif Would you mind posting your results?

Originally posted by polat_dgn:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by man_utd_JS:

hey polat just wondering do you use any opposition instructions? great tactic by the way icon_biggrin.gif

if the opponent have some quality striker, apply "always pressure" and "hard tackling" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

should I apply hard tackle, always closing down, and always tight marking in OP to only the strikers or other quality players as well (or all each players?)

Originally posted by jeune5:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by polat_dgn:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by man_utd_JS:

hey polat just wondering do you use any opposition instructions? great tactic by the way icon_biggrin.gif

if the opponent have some quality striker, apply "always pressure" and "hard tackling" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

should I apply hard tackle, always closing down, and always tight marking in OP to only the strikers or other quality players as well (or all each players?) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i usually apply to only strikers but of course apply to other quality players who roles as your opponent's brain like Fabregas, Xavi etc.

@POLAT_DGN

These tactics seem really great from the feedback and I love 442s as it allows me to use 2 star strikers at once rather than leaving one on the bench all the times.

I have a few questions for you:-

1) You say it's best to be safe and use the counter attack if you are only slight favourites but would this apply to when playing at home aswell? For example if I was playing as Liverpool at home against Chelsea and I was only slight favourites should I still use counter or use the regular 442 because I am at home?

2) What type of strikers work best in the 442 version? Two fast Stikers like David Villa or Big, good in the air strikers like Peter Crouch, or a mix of both types?

3) I presume it's best to use attacking full backs in the 442 version but is it best to use defensive full backs such as Gabriel Heinze in the 451 for tighter defence?

I just wanted to get these things cleared up so I can get the most out of the tactic.

Originally posted by polat_dgn:

opps sorry for the above post.

It is really great!Which one did you use? i guess it was Counter, wasnt it because Preston is much weaker than Chelsea anyway

Yep I used the counter tactic and the only tweak I made was to the time wasting when the match was nearing the end and I wanted it to be over. icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by CREW:

@POLAT_DGN

These tactics seem really great from the feedback and I love 442s as it allows me to use 2 star strikers at once rather than leaving one on the bench all the times.

I have a few questions for you:-

1) You say it's best to be safe and use the counter attack if you are only slight favourites but would this apply to when playing at home aswell? For example if I was playing as Liverpool at home against Chelsea and I was only slight favourites should I still use counter or use the regular 442 because I am at home?

2) What type of strikers work best in the 442 version? Two fast Stikers like David Villa or Big, good in the air strikers like Peter Crouch, or a mix of both types?

3) I presume it's best to use attacking full backs in the 442 version but is it best to use defensive full backs such as Gabriel Heinze in the 451 for tighter defence?

I just wanted to get these things cleared up so I can get the most out of the tactic.

1)Use Counter, mate. THe aim is to remain unbeaten. No need to take risks.

2) Fast strikers mate because i dont use targetman, but you may try it if you dont have any option left. But no guarentee icon_biggrin.gif

3) As you can see my fullbacks are defensive and they still work great in both tactics. But i recommend defensive ones because in 4-4-2, they dont let you get caught by counters in case.. But good passing and shoots wont do any harm. icon_smile.gif

Cheers mate icon_wink.gif

I was just wondering about the target men thing because I noticed that Enda89ie used FC Bayern and had great success but I remembered that Bayern's two main striker's are Miroslav Klose and Luca Toni who are both slow and in the air.

This made me wonder if it might work with them too.

Thanks for answering my questions though.

I may try a game as Man Utd as they seem to have the players for this.

I know people will complain that it's an awesome squad but if this can get awesome reults as them it may still work great with lesser squads. icon14.gif

Originally posted by joebailey141:

Can someone help me???

After I click the rapidshare link and click save the file downloads but then cannot be used in FM or even found on my desktop.

How do I do this? Is there another way for me to try these tactics?

Can anyone help me with this???

I just started a new game as Chelsea instead. In the friendlies I done fine winning by a ton of goals.

In my first 'proper' game, The community shield against Man Utd, they were slight favourites so I started with the Counter Tactic. The game went like this:-

- They scored 3 goals in the first 20 minutes

- I switched to the normal version to stop the embarassment.

- They quickly scored two more goals.

- We got two goals towards the end of the game 1 from Shevchenko which was miles offside anyway and 1 Wes Brown own goal which was a total fluke.

Sorry to say but this concluded one of the most pathetic performances I've had one of my teams play since playing FM 2008. A 2-5 defeat. I wish I could take a screenshot but I'm not sure how right now.

1 thing that I can think of is that I never applied opposition instructions before the match. Would this have made a big difference?

I was going to try a full season with these tactics but I'm worried about facing United at Old Trafford in perhaps a crucial match when they can beat me so easily on neutral ground. Was this just some sort of fluke game as I really want to get this tactic to work and will persevere but am just a bit worried? icon_frown.gif

thats interesting mate, really interesting.. Maybe 1 goal but 3 goals in Counter? i have never conceded 3 goals with that tacs and i am sure your defence is not worse than my Valencia side..i am confused, i dont think it has anything to do with opp. instrutions. But nevermind, it was only comm. shieild, just stick with it and keep us updated after 10 match..

The tactic is fantastic.

I was drawing with a weaker team and they started all out attack! I decided to change to counter-attack tactic.And i won 2-0

Also i had a tough game against R.Sociedad, I was the underdog, so i used the counter-attack tactics. I won 1-0 thanks to a defender scoring from corner. I had also so many chances, but my attackers don't know how to score!!

I think it's the best tactic so far!!! Going to play a long time with it !!! I will post my future games as soon as I can

here's my Bayern treble winning team:

68642572yr6.jpg

I've included a few notes on players I would highly reccommend and players who are tried and trusted with this formation.

My advice...you need to have quick players with plenty of stamina. that's what I tried for anyway when signing players. I signed young players who will run all day and can get back into position quickly (especially full backs and left centre mid)

Archived