Making cash flow

Usually I manage big clubs, in well financed leagues through TV rights and sponsorship deals with big money transfers and even billionaire investors. So money isnt really a problem for the club.

So now ive decided for a change to come back and manage in the A-league, where those things are bare minimal. No big investors looking to buy the clubs out, TV deals arent exactly booming and so forth. Central Coast Mariners are the basis of my test here, with an estimated value of 1.5million.

Current Salary - $42,868 p/w (with $69,757 + $341 p/w youth income grant avalible)

20% of the transfer revenue is made available to the club with a starting transfer budget of $0

And when checking in FMRTE the Balance for the club is $356,291

What im asking, is what does everyone find the best way to increase your clubs financial situation in the short term and long term running of a club? I previously thought friendlys overseas against big clubs playing $500k a game was a possible way to generate some income but then later saw the costs of it through travel expenses etc. in the expenditure page in finances is what im assuming that is?

Any tips on generating income guys?

Unfortunately the game isn't very flexible when it comes to generating your own cash flow - it's more focused on the football aspect as you might imagine. As you said - friendlies are probably the best way of making quick cash and although the profits are not very large and they're not very useful halfway through a season it's income nonetheless. Another way I find to make some cash is grabbing a few bargain players, keeping them for a season or two and then selling them on, or a few free transfers then again selling them after a season or two - it's not quick money but if you get the right player the profits can outweigh the time needed to be spent waiting on a ROI.

Financial control is something that I've always wanted to take care of in the game (ticket prices, merchandising etc..) but, as would be pointed out if I didn't say so now - it's called Football Manager not Football Club CFO. Would be good if some expanding features to do with cash flow were introduced in future FM games though!

From my experience, the best way to make a quick profit is to sell your best players, but that isn't always a good long term strategy and you often get hit with high tax bills doing that.

Usually I will accept that my club (normally lower league) will be in debt for a number of years before finally making a profit when they are successful. Obviously there is an element of risk involved (think Pompey/Leeds) but with smart transfers is is easy enough to guarantee success in the future with FM.

Archived